HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Keith ..Could you explain?

Boxer · 24 · 1763

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 30 Dec 2007, 04:09:07 pm
To quote   ..."Having said that I think both teams are in for a long hard season "  Taken from Me keiths assesment  of today on the Town website.  True there is no way Haevn can know what nest season holds after today but christ don't TAR us with Towns brush.

7 first team player missing

4 accademmy players on show

1st game of the year

WE are not complaining.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2007, 04:12:24 pm by Boxer »

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2007, 05:32:30 pm
Boxer, don't get me wrong.    Haven played 200% better than Town today BUT there were many, many times we made you look like like world beaters through our inability to put in even the most basic of tackles, etc.    I think Haven will play a lot better than they played today and get beat in NL1.    I am not making excuses we were terrible, the only other word to describe us was "pathetic" and, as I have said elsewhere (which I note you don't quote) we are in for a very hard season.   

Don't let's go down the road of players missing as we also had 5 or 6 first teamers missing and also had 4 or 5 academy lads on display and it was our first game of the year..    Looking at what was served up today, and that is all we can go by, Haven scored a lot of points from our errors, silly plays, lost possession, silly penalties, etc, where other teams will not be as generous in NL1.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2007, 05:37:07 pm
Fair enough ...you are probably right.

The "new signing "could make a big diff though>>>>   Big bucks big talent>

justonelilpoint

Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:06:59 pm
You can only beat whats in front of you and on that showing by town ,kells would have given Haven a tougher test.
Lets get it right including lebbon, we had 6! U21 lads playing.Two of which have not played 1st team rugby before and one whose just 17
Two new lads who've never played a game for Haven and some very big guns missing ,Sice,Fletcher,Duffy,Hill,Finch,Makisi and Edmondson.
I thought we played some nice rugby and considering the changes and that we havent played since September, I dont know how any one can judge from that 1 performance that we are in for a long hard season  ???

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:52:24 pm
You can only beat whats in front of you and on that showing by town ,kells would have given Haven a tougher test.
Lets get it right including lebbon, we had 6! U21 lads playing.Two of which have not played 1st team rugby before and one whose just 17
Two new lads who've never played a game for Haven and some very big guns missing ,Sice,Fletcher,Duffy,Hill,Finch,Makisi and Edmondson.
I thought we played some nice rugby and considering the changes and that we havent played since September, I dont know how any one can judge from that 1 performance that we are in for a long hard season  ???

Of course Kells (or Elbra for that matter) would have given Haven a tougher game and probably have beaten Town.    You are just backing up what I have said and you will meet much tougher teams than you played today who won't give you the ball so easily or tackle you as ineffectively as we tried to do today.

If you want to go down the route of naming players etc, just for the record Town had, Scott Burgess, Marc Routledge, Kris Coward, Scott Gorman, Peter Dobson and Ryan Blair playing more or less straight out of CARLA.    We also had missing Liam Campbell (injured in the warm up), Sean Lunt, Dean Burgess, Dexter Miller, Gary Purdham, as well as the 3 new signings McCully, Marsh and Benjifield, which is a meaningless exercise really.   I think all that that proves is that Haven have more strength in depth than Town or better quality academy players.

How many NL1 teams do you think will "gift" you as many tries as Town did today, justonelilpoint?   Anyhow, it matters not what I think, as long as you are not getting carried away on what you had to play today.

Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

justonelilpoint

Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2007, 07:08:41 pm
Its not rocket science Keith that we going meet stronger sides...I am still at a loss to work out how you think we going to struggle this season...yes you gifted us tries and couldnt tackle,But that isnt any reason to judge a side for the rest of the year  and say we are going struggle ??? what did you want us racking 80 or 90 on you before you'd change that opinion ?
Could understand if it was our strongest side and we'd only won by 20-30?
I dont think anyones getting carried away with anything.Think everyone thinks it was good run out against a poor town team (which surprsied us how bad!) ,
Was nice see the U21's go well and us fling ball around for a change ,something dave Rotheram didnt want us to do last season and we scored some good tries from that.

all in all just a  game blow the cobwebs away  and chance see some rugby,But no ones getting carried away

Offline splodge99

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2007, 07:48:22 pm
keep digging Keith, you might eventually dig yourself out of that hole.

Offline Bora18

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2007, 09:07:26 pm
i dont care what anyone says...we will go well this season

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2007, 10:11:06 pm
'Town  V 'Haven.

It was a practice match.

Get over it.

Proves little, other than 'haven were much the better team on the day. Town will improve over coming weeks, and so will 'haven.

'Haven have the potential to have a good (finishing 4 th) season. The case for 'town doing anywhere near as well in NL2 is very much in doubt after todays showing.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2007, 11:41:08 am
Its  fair  to  say  Town  were  very  poor  whilst  we  played  some  entertaining  stuff  but  I'm  sure  when  we meet  Town  again  in  Feb  for  the  NRC  group  games  both  sides  will  field  much  changed  sides.  We  had  at  least  half  a  dozen  missing  whilst  Town  also  had  a  few  out.  I'm  sure  when  we  do  play  them  again  they'll  give  us  a  tougher  game.  If  they  don't  DR  could  find  himself  under  severe  pressure

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #10 on: 01 Jan 2008, 06:01:15 pm
Fair enough ...you are probably right.

The "new signing "could make a big diff though>>>>   Big bucks big talent>

Care to elaborate?

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #11 on: 01 Jan 2008, 11:17:49 pm
theres rumours off a loose forward cuming from sydney roosters or so i heard by sum1

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2008, 03:05:49 pm
haven can not be judged against such a poor team

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2008, 03:10:37 pm
The name Shane Shackleton is being banded about - know nowt about him though

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #14 on: 02 Jan 2008, 03:43:42 pm
From rleague.com

23-year-old Roosters prop forward Shane Shackleton has agreed to terms that will see him at the Sydney Roosters until the end of the 2008 season.

Shane was recruited to the Roosters from the Jim Beam Cup Competition for the 2005 Season.

Roosters number 1054, Shackleton was the last player to debut in first grade in 2005.

"I am excited to extend my contract to the end of the 2008 season with the Roosters.

"This provides me with the opportunity to take part in the Roosters 100th year celebrations in 2007
."
haven till i die