saints looked at edmonson

Offline hensingham boy

• First Team Backup
  • win or lose on the booze
on: 05 Jan 2008, 02:13:02 pm
HAVEN COP STAR
Published on 05/01/2008

By John Walsh

FORMER Workington Town coach Ged Stokes is convinced local rivals Whitehaven have signed a winner in Kiwi policeman Karl Edmondson.

The 24-year-old foward, who was born in Cumbria before emigrating to New Zealand when he was five, is ready to link up with Haven next wee-end.

Stokes is well qualified to discuss Edmondson, for he was in charge of the New Zealand A team which played Cumbria at the Recreation Ground in 2003.

Edmondson was a member of that tour squad under Stokes who was subsequently offered the coaching job by Town.

Stokes still living at Cockermouth after his out-of-court settlement with Town, is looking forward to seeing Edmondson in British rugby league.

?I think he will do very well over here and Whitehaven have got themselves a talented forward. He?s very versatile, playing now mainly as a prop but he can operate in the second-row and he?s even played loose-forward. He?s very committed as a player and for the last two years has been one of the stand-out men in the Glenora club side.

?The thing I found about him was that he learned things quickly. There are things which are different over here and he will need to adapt but I?m sure he will pick them up comfortably.?

Stokes also revealed that he had tried to sign Edmondson soon after he was appointed coach at Town.

?When I spoke with him he told me there was some interest from St. Helens so he didn?t give an immediate decision. I couldn?t hang about at the time and we signed Johnny Limmer ? although the St. Helens move didn?t come about.

?He?s a policeman in New Zealand and a very nice lad. The fact that he will have a family already in Cumbria will help him settle as well,? said Stokes.

He was raised in Silloth before emigrating with his parents when he was five but still has a large family in the area. Over 20 aunts, uncles and cousins turned up at the Recreation Ground to watch him play for New Zealand A.