HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Shambles

champ · 25 · 2420

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #15 on: 03 Jan 2008, 08:33:33 pm
This story pretty much took the whole of the back page of the whitehaven news.  :o :o

Makes you wonder - WHY!!!!   Surely there are more pressing things for them to report on from the Rec.   I don't think any of Ike's family were in any way put out about it but nobody seemed to have checked with them how they felt before putting it in the press.   
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #16 on: 04 Jan 2008, 08:13:23 am
This story pretty much took the whole of the back page of the whitehaven news.  :o :o

Makes you wonder - WHY!!!!   Surely there are more pressing things for them to report on from the Rec.   I don't think any of Ike's family were in any way put out about it but nobody seemed to have checked with them how they felt before putting it in the press.   

Keith I think it takes up pretty much most of the back page because there really isn't a lot going on at the moment, but they've still got to fill space. The paper was rather thin to start with (it always is at this time of year), but they've still got to try and justify 60p for what at the moment is very little, especially sportswise. If it hadn't have been that they would have had to think of something else to fill the back page with.

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #17 on: 04 Jan 2008, 01:38:03 pm
Would the Alan Irving writing this story be the same Alan Irving who in his role as BNFL PR officer some years ago literally threw the Cumbria Cup to Town's captain and simply said "here you are" after they beat us at the Rec to win it ? Surely not, that'd be really hypocritical wouldn't it ?!

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star
Reply #18 on: 04 Jan 2008, 06:07:30 pm

Perhaps the reason WHY is that most of the crowd were Haven fans and were expecting a presentation.

Its about time this fixture was cancelled as its turning out to be a farce year in year out surley we can sort a team to play who will give us a game.

Offline fluffy

• First Team Backup
  • Haven in the pink :P ^^
Reply #19 on: 04 Jan 2008, 06:20:40 pm

Perhaps the reason WHY is that most of the crowd were Haven fans and were expecting a presentation.

Its about time this fixture was cancelled as its turning out to be a farce year in year out surley we can sort a team to play who will give us a game.

I agree wid u marra we need more of a challenge
We've got this place rocking now girls !!! ;)

justonelilpoint

Reply #20 on: 04 Jan 2008, 06:23:40 pm
Would the Alan Irving writing this story be the same Alan Irving who in his role as BNFL PR officer some years ago literally threw the Cumbria Cup to Town's captain and simply said "here you are" after they beat us at the Rec to win it ? Surely not, that'd be really hypocritical wouldn't it ?!

Alan Irvings worked for Whitehaven news for 30-40 years...Ive never known him as sellafields PR officer ?
Is that possibly Keith Irving your thinking of ??

The game is just a  blow out over xmas and generates a bit of cash for the clubs.The players dont get paid for this fixture i believe, so it comes in handy for both clubs  paying few bills when there isnt much income coming in.

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #21 on: 04 Jan 2008, 06:24:43 pm
disagree with it being cancelled as it is a memorial match and that is why they play. can see it being more and more accadamy players in the haven team each year but they should still play it and the trophy should be presented as all trophys are infront the fans. i think town knew they where in for a beating and sadly hid the presentation away because of that. aparently there was one town player there when the trophy was given and half the haven team had left. bit of a joke. petty if u ask me

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star
Reply #22 on: 04 Jan 2008, 07:27:23 pm
disagree with it being cancelled as it is a memorial match and that is why they play. can see it being more and more accadamy players in the haven team each year but they should still play it and the trophy should be presented as all trophys are infront the fans. i think town knew they where in for a beating and sadly hid the presentation away because of that. aparently there was one town player there when the trophy was given and half the haven team had left. bit of a joke. petty if u ask me

we should play a team who can give us a game and not just be there for a hammering.
As for it being a memorial what good is a hammering year in year out as a memorial.
We could play a decent team for the JJ McKeown  memorial. at least our players would make a legend proud.

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #23 on: 05 Jan 2008, 10:36:53 am
Alan Irvings worked for Whitehaven news for 30-40 years...Ive never known him as sellafields PR officer ?
Is that possibly Keith Irving your thinking of ??

Nope, Alan Irving was on a paid retainer from BNFL throughout the 80's and early 90's as Sellafield media spokesman and press officer.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #24 on: 05 Jan 2008, 07:42:06 pm
gatesheeeed thunder would have gave us a better game than town did