HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

statue in town

Offline GARDNER

• Academy Signing
on: 07 Jan 2008, 09:55:54 pm
think of whitehaven and what comes to mind: coal minds ? shipbuilding ? chemical industry ? marchon ? and more recently the maritime festival. But also of course it is a town well known for rugby league, go to other rugby towns and you will find monuments/statues of some of their great players. What have we got in whitehaven ? i would just like to know what other fans think about a statue being built in the town , my idea would be one of the three kiwi marras !

I'm thinking of writing to the whitehaven news to try and get support from the council/paper

what do other fans think ?
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2008, 10:30:32 pm
statue off jj mckeown or dick huddart or both on the way to the ground would be awesome

Offline GARDNER

• Academy Signing
Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2008, 11:04:01 pm
statue off jj mckeown or dick huddart or both on the way to the ground would be awesome
yes i would like to see one on way to ground or by the grass area at the castle pub
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 08 Jan 2008, 08:00:42 am
I think thats a great idea but would like the ground sorted first.

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #4 on: 08 Jan 2008, 03:49:33 pm
think of whitehaven and what comes to mind: coal minds ? shipbuilding ? chemical industry ? marchon ? and more recently the maritime festival. But also of course it is a town well known for rugby league, go to other rugby towns and you will find monuments/statues of some of their great players. What have we got in whitehaven ? i would just like to know what other fans think about a statue being built in the town , my idea would be one of the three kiwi marras !

I'm thinking of writing to the whitehaven news to try and get support from the council/paper

what do other fans think ?
the big question is do the council realy care about the rugby league club ? the only time they crawl out of wood work is votes or big games ie super league games , and then it is only haveing been given free tickets!!!!!!!!!!!

justonelilpoint

Reply #5 on: 08 Jan 2008, 04:31:36 pm
I mentioned this idea couple years back following J.J.Macs passing.
Even spoke to Barry R about it.
Barrows Willie Horne statue was paid with funding from Northwest Development Agency (NWDA) and Barrow Borough Council.

Guess the club itself would have to drive the idea forward for it to take place ?
Although Barrow mail kicked off their appeal with ?500 donation towards their ?50k target

Offline GARDNER

• Academy Signing
Reply #6 on: 08 Jan 2008, 06:37:13 pm
I mentioned this idea couple years back following J.J.Macs passing.
Even spoke to Barry R about it.
Barrows Willie Horne statue was paid with funding from Northwest Development Agency (NWDA) and Barrow Borough Council.

Guess the club itself would have to drive the idea forward for it to take place ?
Although Barrow mail kicked off their appeal with ?500 donation towards their ?50k target
thanks for the info i think we should try and get the whitehaven news to help. what gets me is if other clubs can have help from there council WHY CARNT WE????
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2008, 07:18:20 pm
get alan irving on to it. could u a poll for who you would want.

Offline Rob_Haven

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 08 Jan 2008, 08:11:02 pm
wat was in that box from stobbarts?
ANCIENT AND LOYAL

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #9 on: 08 Jan 2008, 08:26:43 pm
wat was in that box from stobbarts?

Not revealed until later in year
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #10 on: 08 Jan 2008, 09:22:12 pm
i thought we had got a statue last year but then someone told me that it was real and that it was called simon baldwin ;D
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline GARDNER

• Academy Signing
Reply #11 on: 08 Jan 2008, 10:48:59 pm
ok lets have a poll who wud u like to see a statue of ??? as i said i wud like one of the 3 nz marras  ;D because i think that to have 3 over seas players stay 10 years is something special and says a lot for our town that they all want to stay here ;D ;D
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 08 Jan 2008, 11:06:21 pm
think id rather go for one of the local legends

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #13 on: 09 Jan 2008, 08:43:49 am
ok lets have a poll who wud u like to see a statue of ??? as i said i wud like one of the 3 nz marras  ;D because i think that to have 3 over seas players stay 10 years is something special and says a lot for our town that they all want to stay here ;D ;D

Which one would you pick? And how would you decide?

Would be very unfair on the two you didn't pick.

I think that if it happens it should be someone who is a local star!
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2008, 02:13:15 pm by Chorley Blue and Gold »

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 09 Jan 2008, 10:26:00 am

Which one would you pick? And how would you decide?

Would be veru unfair on the two you didn't pick.

I think that if it happens it should be someone who is a local star!

someone like harold tip? or peter howlett??

LOL!!!

if we had to go for someone then i reckon it would have to be jj mckeown
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good