HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Review of 2007.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 20 Jan 2008, 12:32:13 am
I have just had a rather indulgent evening watching three 2007 games.  Halifax in the NRC Widnes (H) in the league and Cas (H)

A number of very obvious points  come out of these three games .

(1) they were all home games;  but  Aron Smith was by far the best hooker from our three options.  70 % of the trys were scored while he was on the field.  He was in fact like having Sice and Mattinson in one. i.e passs tackle and run.

(2) Leroy is still a high quality necesssity to the team .  In three games he played 4 positions but when the attacks were on he made the plays.

(3 JD is a top scrum half.  In all three games he absoloutley flew into ackles made  breaks and  gave the passes to score trys!.  I really hope he is fit and up for it  this season.

(4) MY main concern   is the loss of Smith Maiden and Trindall   they always got the little things right when you watch these games > It really  concerns me that the replacements  just dont have the experience to deal with the presure and do the little thngs right like Trindal, Maiden and  Smith.   OH and one othe rthing we played some grst rugby last year. Its bull **** to say we did not.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2008, 12:37:31 am by Boxer »

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2008, 12:34:46 pm
Yes, but it depends which games you watch!  You could have put on the Northern Rail final, or the game away at Sheffield, but then you wouldn't want to, would you. We did play well in certain games last season, I agree; but also less well in others and even worse than that in one or two games like those mentioned.

Smith, Trindall and Maden were all good players who I liked a lot but-

Maden cost us too many cheap points towards the business end. Trindall was getting steadily less and less effective over the last season or so. And, is there anything to be said about the hooker situation that hasn't been said already? Sice is a game-breaker. Mattinson should be putting in the kind of performances he showed when first coming from Wath Brow. At least one of them deserves an extended run in the team.

Leroy can play in a few positions and still make the difference. Duffy IS class and his tackling last year was superb, but can he grab hold of a game in the same way other number 7's in the division can? Lets hope he can.

In short, every team has got to try to improve, otherwise it will just go backwards as some of the better, experienced players get older and more of our rivals go full time or gear up for a push at SL (last season, anyone?) It's gonna be interesting this season to find out if we do...

Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:47:51 pm
harbouragrudge that'sa very accurate response to the opening comment and I agree entirely.

Offline mega570

• Academy Signing
Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2008, 08:54:31 pm
aron the crab smith was our worst hooker and leigh are welcome to him.billed as the new jimmy lowes he was a disappointment last season and when the review of 2008 is posted there will be two hookers above him in the nl1 dream team some guy called mattison and another called sice.thank you and good night.

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2008, 09:58:10 pm
I have just had a rather indulgent evening watching three 2007 games.  Halifax in the NRC Widnes (H) in the league and Cas (H)

A number of very obvious points  come out of these three games .

(1) they were all home games;  but  Aron Smith was by far the best hooker from our three options.  70 % of the trys were scored while he was on the field.  He was in fact like having Sice and Mattinson in one. i.e passs tackle and run.

(2) Leroy is still a high quality necesssity to the team .  In three games he played 4 positions but when the attacks were on he made the plays.

(3 JD is a top scrum half.  In all three games he absoloutley flew into ackles made  breaks and  gave the passes to score trys!.  I really hope he is fit and up for it  this season.

(4) MY main concern   is the loss of Smith Maiden and Trindall   they always got the little things right when you watch these games > It really  concerns me that the replacements  just dont have the experience to deal with the presure and do the little thngs right like Trindal, Maiden and  Smith.   OH and one othe rthing we played some grst rugby last year. Its bull **** to say we did not.

Yesterdays News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Season, New Coach, New Players, New Hope!

Listen to Darth!!!!

Offline tattie

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2008, 10:04:09 pm
you tell him darth
ALWAYS  HAVEN