HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Todays game

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
on: 20 Jan 2008, 05:53:55 pm
Decent  effort  considering  the  muddy  conditions  and  another  chance  to  see  our  new  signings.  Good  effort  from  all  of  them.  McDonald  ran  hard  and  again  silence  his  doubters  but  I  was  very  impressed  with  Edmundson.  Took  alot  of  stopping  and  with  games  under  his  belt  should   get  better.

Another  solid  game  from  Ade  and  he  showed  immense  strength  for  the  last  try.  I  thought  Finch  also  had  a  good  game.  He  looks  a  real  livewire.

As  for  the  rest  Rob  Jackson  showed  some  nice  touches.  If  he  can  keep  himself  fit  it'll  be  like  a  new  signing.  Duffy  played  well  but  looked  a  bit  rusty.  Fletcher  again  took  some  stopping.  Everyone  else  played  well  in  what  was  a  stiffer  task  than  the  Town  game.

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:30:51 pm
I thought Swinton looked quite lively and they gave us a good tussle for an hour or more. We seemed to go to sleep in the early part of the second half and Partonlad said that he wondered if Dave Rotheram had done the half time peptalk in the changing room. I thought It came good later and there were a few good passsages of flowing rugby.

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:36:42 pm
By the way Des or any other comittee member, what's been going on on the Scratching shed terrace? there's loads of rusty nails and  old cable ties lying all over the place, it's a mess.

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:52:18 pm
Well said Haven beachbum - what a mess the terraces are, most of the the rubbish must have been there since last season! Getting back to the game, we started off well enough but seemed to lose our way and the whole thing turned very scrappy, with Haven spilling it quite a bit more than Swinton did. Their passing game was, in spells, better than ours and it did look for a while, at the start of the second half, as if our esteemed ex coach, Mr Rotheram, had appeared with one of his legendary team talks. Scrappy old game though but a good workout for Haven.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:03:30 pm
well i know it was only swinton but lots of good things that point towards a lot better season

MOM finch by a mile ran everything when he was on, good balls out, great side step and not afraid to take on the defence

ade what a prospect this lad is . loads of pace and strength which he showed for his 2nd try, made yards all the time

calvert seems to have bulked up up top and also made lots of yards going forward and wanst getting dragged back all the time like last year

edmundson had 2 spells on the feild, first one made and few good runs and tackled well

2nd spell he was outstanding ran in at speed and broke the line with just about every hit up, once fully fit and the ground dries out i think he will be a really good signing

one thing that showed the strength in depth we have in the pack today was when he took off, macdonald, hill , teare and jacko

and replaced them with

fats, fletch,mcavoy and edmundson
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2008, 07:06:00 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Monte2carlo

Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:07:10 pm
 To be honest i wasn't impressed by Haven today, They seemed to be going through the motions. Swinton were alot better than Town and caused us problems when they did get the ball out to the backs. We only got the better of them after they had a man sin binned.

Monte

Offline jonah1

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:36:25 pm
I cant see why you wernt impressed with them. Yes they were going through the motions a bit but it was only their second game, what more can you expect? I was really impressed with derry and rob jackson today, breaking he line alot with good lines. You can tell that they were desperate to show their talent with Makisi coming shortly. Cant wiat to see Ade on a firm pitch, the boys just lightning. I also think weve got one hell of a pack this season, as long as they keep fit that is. Edmonson and mcdonald were outstanding today and by finch's performance today he is a great prospect.

Monte2carlo

Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:58:32 pm
Yes they broke the line when Swinton were down to 12 men !

I am sorry but what was on show today was at best average

10 out of 10 for a young swinton side

Monte

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:59:51 pm
Lots of positives for me from todays game.

Edmondson - what a revelation!  I dare say if there was a brick wall on that pitch today - he would have ran through it!

Adebisi - bless him  - he looked cold, but then was on fire when he got the ball - very pacy!

Derry - He seems to have improved 10 fold, was there at every opportunity.

Rob Jackson - played really well today - some great passing and looks a dramatic improvement on some of his performances last season which unfortunately were down to injury - he seems to have shaken those off - long may it last

Finch - sheesh!  This lad was everywhere - deffo runs on duracel batteries this one.  Maybe his hair is his strength - keep him away from the barbers!

John Duffy - played well, if anything, a little rusty - but I am sure that will come with game time.

John Lebbon - I have yet to see him do anything majorly wrong, very solid and some great covering.

Gary B - OMG Gary passed some ball!  As usual, Mr Consistent

Calvert - some improvement on previous seasons, seems less reluctant taking tackles and seems to have bulked up a tad.

McDonald - not entirely convinced on him, but will reserve judgement for the time being in the hope he proves me wrong in the future.

Matty - very solid

I have not mentioned everyone, just the ones that stood out for me today.  But as said earlier - lots of positives from todays game and things can improve with more game time, mid-way thru the Trains competition we should know the outline team for the start of the season proper.  With Makisi yet to arrive and Spencer Miller to recover from his knee op, we should have a fairly solid squad.

Roll on Friday until the next match - looking forward to seeing some old faces on the "Rec" for what should be a cracking game.

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2008, 08:01:35 pm by MrsHavenWarrior »
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2008, 09:41:51 pm
When  Duffy  and  Finch  both  came  onto  the  pitch  I  though  I  was  seeing  double.  Both  are  similar  size  and  same  hairstyles.

1st 10  mins  I  kept  getting  them  mixed  up.  Must  go  to  spec  savers :D :D

Monte2carlo

Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2008, 09:47:06 pm
yes it was difficult to spot the difference, apart from finch can run a bit faster than la'al John

Monte

Offline tattie

• Academy Star
Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2008, 09:50:31 pm
I  THINK DUFFY MUST HAVE SEEN A HAIR DRESSER
OVER XMAS DIDN'T RECONISE HIM :D :D :D
ALWAYS  HAVEN

Offline bobby

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2008, 10:10:15 pm
I thought edmundson run hard but apart from that i thought it was a poor game finch is goner be a danger on hard grounds but i didnt think abisi playd great he looked like he got court twice but maybe will speed up with more games. to me the team looked flat

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2008, 10:31:19 pm
but i didnt think abisi playd great

Did you leave early ???

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2008, 01:08:48 pm
What people have to realise is that it was still a pre season game in poor conditions.
It was a good runout against a superior team to the donkeys up the road with much to encourage us in the future.