HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Pressure will now be on the Tongan

Boxer · 13 · 1021

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:00:28 pm
The fact that he is now the quota player will certainly increase the expectation / need for him to deliver on the field.

Traditionally the overseas player has to play in most of the games and deliver high level of performence ...other wise its a waste of the valuable quota place.  As the quota player we would expect him to be the top try scorer or there abouts given he is an outside back.

Puts Eilbeck and Jackson in an awkward position they have probably been the two stand out players in pre season and should reasonably expect to be in the 13.

I would have personally hoped for a more experienced and influential player as the quota signing but i suppose we have been caught unaware.  Possibly should have done a few more enquiries with the RL earlier to be certain of his status.     

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:34:18 pm
Reckon with the form of R.Jackson & Eilbeck, we might even see Makisi line up at 2nd Row

Offline kellsendlad

• Academy Signing
Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:54:24 pm
there should be no more pressure on him than anyone
else in the team
if they all stay injury free then all we can ask is
that they give a good account of themselves
if they do we will be in a very good position
at the end of then season

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:54:41 pm
can R.jackson play 2nd rower ??? ??? ???

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2008, 01:37:23 pm
can R.jackson play 2nd rower ??? ??? ???

Yes! and he has done so in the past!

newton

Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2008, 02:47:02 pm
again we have now got a player who maybe will push local derry out of the team if we have makisi and jackson who also travels we will be forced to use them or or waste good money them sitting out of the team.will it be derry who must miss out because he is local and travellers be used just because of this????

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2008, 02:59:31 pm
again we have now got a player who maybe will push local derry out of the team if we have makisi and jackson who also travels we will be forced to use them or or waste good money them sitting out of the team.will it be derry who must miss out because he is local and travellers be used just because of this????

That's what happened under a certain previous coach but at the present moment in time we've got to see what pans out. Lets give everyone a chance to prove they're worth (even the coach).

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2008, 03:11:54 pm
cresta said at the launch night makisi has to prove himself in training and the reserve grade (match fitness) before he breaks up the partnership of derrie and rob jackson. he has also stated under him no one is a dead on cert to be in the team, im lead to believe if the reserve grade game had of been last week ryan mcdonald and marc jackson were both going to be playing because there fitness levels arnt up to the rest of the squads standards.

yes haven mascot rob has played second row and loose forward at haven, good thing with makisi he can play full back,wing,centre or second rower,

newton

Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2008, 03:34:44 pm
if  you had said macdonald and teare oo9 , but jacko was well on form looking to off load and take the ball up everytime dummy half was having to shout for teare to take a ball in on friday your thoughts 009

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2008, 04:02:57 pm
jacko may well have been on form on friday marra, but im only telling you what i was told, his and ryan mcdonalds fitness are not up the rest of the squads standards and they were going to be playing in the reserve grade against the cumbria u19s, teare probably isnt on form but his fitness seems to be up with the rest of the squads.

Offline jonah1

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2008, 06:44:02 pm
I have got to agree with what you are saying about jacksons fitness levels. On his second stint on the pitch jacko was knakered after 10 minutes. The situation with derrie and r jackson is gonna be really difficult. Both have shone in pre season but I have to agree with cresta. Just because he is a quota player he shouldn't have the right just to walk into the team, he has to prove his worth.

newton

Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2008, 07:37:26 pm
fair point johan, but though jackos ten mins stint out shone teare spells.

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2008, 10:37:05 am
Teare needs an injection of agression. He is big enough to bull cows and he should be using his weight to intimidate. He needs to get meaner.