HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

I wonder how far away we are?

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:19:53 am
 From the ?300,000 we need? it's been 8 months since this article in the W/haven news.

http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/haven/viewarticle.aspx?id=509844

Anyone any idea?
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2008, 12:47:55 am
no idea marra but its taking the ****

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2008, 01:36:03 am
i think theres more chance of

nelson getting his eye back then riding along st.bees beach with lady gadiva and champ naked on shergar than there is of those stands happening.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2008, 02:41:55 pm
And if Des and the press keep calling the Coal Industry Social Welfare ORGANISATION  -  CISWAS, instead of CISWO, they might have a long time to wait for them to agree to giving a longer lease for the ground.  :o :o :o   
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2008, 04:26:48 pm
And if Des and the press keep calling the Coal Industry Social Welfare ORGANISATION  -  CISWAS, instead of CISWO, they might have a long time to wait for them to agree to giving a longer lease for the ground.  :o :o :o   

Dunno about CISWAS, but this could have been done quicker by bleedin' TISWAS !!!!  ;D

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 03 Feb 2008, 10:46:39 am
Whats  so  fustrating  is  when  you  see  plenty  of  other  rugby/football  clubs  getting  new  grounds  or  ground  revamps  and  we  get  nothing.  Its  not  like  were  asking  for  a  20,000  all  seater  state  of  the  art  stadium. >:(

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 03 Feb 2008, 05:21:15 pm
From the ?300,000 we need? it's been 8 months since this article in the W/haven news.

http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/haven/viewarticle.aspx?id=509844

Anyone any idea?

it aint gonna happen dan
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 05 Feb 2008, 08:56:00 am
The new ground is a pipedream. Do you know I'd settle for just getting the old scoreboard back. You know the one I mean, the one we used to have before this one and the most recent one. It might have been ancient but at least you could tell the score. Nobody can read the present scoreboard unless they've brought binoculars to the game.

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 05 Feb 2008, 12:19:08 pm
An appeal has been launched at Halifax to raise ?800,000 towards the
3 million redevelopment of the East Stand.Calderdale council is
already set to contribute ?2 million to the project while ?312,000
will come from the football stadium improvement fund.

Nice  to  see  1  council  contributing  to  their  local  team  Could  you  see  Copeland  Borough  Council  doing  the  same ???
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2008, 12:36:23 am by whitehavenRLforever »

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 05 Feb 2008, 03:13:18 pm
The new ground is a pipedream. Do you know I'd settle for just getting the old scoreboard back. You know the one I mean, the one we used to have before this one and the most recent one. It might have been ancient but at least you could tell the score. Nobody can read the present scoreboard unless they've brought binoculars to the game.

Agreed.
We all knew last season that you couldn't read the scoreboard unless stood directly in front of it.
Yet the club have had all winter and not even been bothered to produce some numbers that can be read from the Kells End.
The scoreboard is a disgrace and in all reality you wouldn't tell any difference if it wasn't there.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #10 on: 07 Feb 2008, 06:21:34 am
Nice  to  see  1  council  contributing  to  their  local  team  Could  you  see  Copeland  Borough  Council  doing  the  same ???

Why should they???    If you owned a bit of land and rented it out to someone for them to build house on it on it, would you expect the council to give you money to do it up???
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 07 Feb 2008, 12:37:41 pm
Quite  alot  of  RL  clubs  have  had  new  grounds  or  refurbishments  which  have  been  part  funded  by  their  local  councils.

If  we  had  a  ground  and  a  team  fit  for  SL  this  would  create  jobs  and  bring  in  visitors  from  RL  areas  during  matchdays.  Some  would  even  make  a  weekend  of  it  so  guest  houses,  Hotels,  restaurants  etc  etc  would  benefit.  Also  being  on  SKY  every  3  weeks  would  increase  the  profile  of  the  town

I   know  we  don't  own  the  ground  which  does  complicate  things  but  our  tinpot  council has  draggd  its  heels  from  day  1and  has  made  very  little  effort  towards  the  club >:(

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 07 Feb 2008, 01:21:47 pm
I am now convinced that nothing is going to change in the near future. On Sunday, and I know the weather was terrible, I stood in the Kells end and when you get a good look around the ground it is an absolute and utter disgrace. Its been a bit embarrassing for a while, but we were safe in the knowledge that 'soon', we would see some improvements. Frankly I am surprised that it is deemed safe by health and safety.
Not only is the scoreboard useless, the whole place is run down and semi derelict. The SEAT sign above the main stand is starting to fall apart and even the flagpole is rusty. A few minor things, but it says a lot about the club. If you cannot get the basics right, there's no hope. Our BOD haven't had the skill, foresight, ability or know-how to tap into and exploit our recent, albeit, minor success and raise our profile. We are a little semi pro, penniless club with no ambition, no idea and not enough support  week in and week out to move forward. Some would call this pessimism, I call it realism.
Many months ago, in a similar debate, I suggested that if the club had a strategy, they would have someone who could tap into the BILLIONS of pounds that is swilling around up the road at Sellafield.   

Capes, Mitie, Stobbarts, Amec, PPS, Studsvick, Carilion, Border, Washington, Kiers, Shepleys, Jordans, Hold etc etc, are all major employers and all  of them are involved at Sellafield and all of whom could be approached to contribute in some way or other. Get some sort of partnerships going with these companies - have an open day, schmooze them, offer hospitality packages in turn for sponsorship deals, offer special deals to schools and other organisations for block bookings, try and organise more fund raising events, like the iminent arrival of Status Quo (although I don't think Haven will benefit from this directly) -  etc etc. Surely somebody can be employed to do this! There's several other things that can be done , but the BOD obviously can't or won't grasp that this 2008, and we need to start conducting ourselves like a successful 1st division club - or fall by the wayside whilst other clubs improve and develop.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #13 on: 07 Feb 2008, 01:53:30 pm
100% agree mate

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 07 Feb 2008, 04:03:58 pm
I am now convinced that nothing is going to change in the near future. On Sunday, and I know the weather was terrible, I stood in the Kells end and when you get a good look around the ground it is an absolute and utter disgrace. Its been a bit embarrassing for a while, but we were safe in the knowledge that 'soon', we would see some improvements. Frankly I am surprised that it is deemed safe by health and safety.
Not only is the scoreboard useless, the whole place is run down and semi derelict. The SEAT sign above the main stand is starting to fall apart and even the flagpole is rusty. A few minor things, but it says a lot about the club. If you cannot get the basics right, there's no hope. Our BOD haven't had the skill, foresight, ability or know-how to tap into and exploit our recent, albeit, minor success and raise our profile. We are a little semi pro, penniless club with no ambition, no idea and not enough support  week in and week out to move forward. Some would call this pessimism, I call it realism.
Many months ago, in a similar debate, I suggested that if the club had a strategy, they would have someone who could tap into the BILLIONS of pounds that is swilling around up the road at Sellafield.   

Capes, Mitie, Stobbarts, Amec, PPS, Studsvick, Carilion, Border, Washington, Kiers, Shepleys, Jordans, Hold etc etc, are all major employers and all  of them are involved at Sellafield and all of whom could be approached to contribute in some way or other. Get some sort of partnerships going with these companies - have an open day, schmooze them, offer hospitality packages in turn for sponsorship deals, offer special deals to schools and other organisations for block bookings, try and organise more fund raising events, like the iminent arrival of Status Quo (although I don't think Haven will benefit from this directly) -  etc etc. Surely somebody can be employed to do this! There's several other things that can be done , but the BOD obviously can't or won't grasp that this 2008, and we need to start conducting ourselves like a successful 1st division club - or fall by the wayside whilst other clubs improve and develop.

A great post, but be careful, its not the done thing to criticise, and expect no backlash.

HW