HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Boxer

Boxer · 30 · 2067

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2008, 05:59:29 pm
I'm  sure  the  BOD   are doing  their best  for  the  club.  I  can't  beleve  for  1  minute  Des  and  Co  would  want  to  back  to  the dark  days  of  the  90's  or  even  the  Tamati  era  when  we  were  pulling  in  800/900  a game.

From  a  financial  point  of  view  we  could  certainly  do  with  more fans  through  the  gates.  When  we  played  Leigh  at  home  last  year  it pulled  in  just  1800ish. Same  fixture  the  year  before  would  have  got  2500. The  grounds  a  major  issue  but  also  the  predictable  style  of  play  under DR  was  another reason  for  bit  part  fans  not  to  turn  up.

IMO  we  have  a stronger  team  than  last year  and  if  we  can  produce  an  exciting style of  rugby  and  get results  I'm  sure  many  fans would  return.

wrong same fixture year(2006) before was on the day of englands  game in the world cup and they brought 100 if we were lucky
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2008, 08:50:16 pm
Well said morbidflorist, Boxer is entitled to his opinion the same as the rest of us - imo he talks a lot of sense, along with many other people who post on here. I think we are all unanimous in thinking that the ground is an embarrassment and I too will be picking and choosing my games this season. I am not prepared to stand on the popular side and get soaked,  I've better things to do on a Sunday afternoon. The powers that be don't seem to care, so don't expect me to.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2008, 08:59:12 pm
Any  true  fans  would  support the  club  whatever.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2008, 09:15:51 pm
you cant say people arent true fans just becuase they dont want to get soaked when watch the game
haven till i die

Offline MorbidFlorist

• Academy Signing
Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2008, 11:04:20 pm

What is your definition of a true fan ?
Somebody who will slavishly follow the club and not intervene / opinionate when things are going wrong or stagnation sets in  ?
Or somebody who thinks for themselves, can see the problems and makes a conscious decision to do something, even if other people don't like it ?
To call somebody like that "not a true fan" is a bit insulting considering the amount of money I've spent at that club over  the last 20 years. The stadium is roughly the same now as it was then, with the exception of a couple of Portakabins donated by the largest local employer. Which were probably heading to the scrap yard anyways. Oh , and we still haven't got a roof over the popular side despite the promises of the board all those years ago.
Start to think for yourself marra. You'll find it's quite good and your posts on this board will become a bit more mature.

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:18:04 pm

What is your definition of a true fan ?
Somebody who will slavishly follow the club and not intervene / opinionate when things are going wrong or stagnation sets in  ?
Or somebody who thinks for themselves, can see the problems and makes a conscious decision to do something, even if other people don't like it ?
To call somebody like that "not a true fan" is a bit insulting considering the amount of money I've spent at that club over  the last 20 years. The stadium is roughly the same now as it was then, with the exception of a couple of Portakabins donated by the largest local employer. Which were probably heading to the scrap yard anyways. Oh , and we still haven't got a roof over the popular side despite the promises of the board all those years ago.
Start to think for yourself marra. You'll find it's quite good and your posts on this board will become a bit more mature.

Sorry  but  you  haven't  a  clue  what  your  talking  about.  For  me  a  true  fan  isn't  one  who  looks  out  of  the  window  and  see's  its  raining  and  decides  to  give  the  match  a  miss.  If  we  all  did  that  there  would  be  games  were  the  gate  would  be  well  under  a  1000  and  then  the  club  run  the  risk  of  serious  debt  due  to  loss  of  revenue.  We  wouldn't  be  able  to  afford  to  make  quality  overseas  signings  or  bring  in  outside  players  who  add  a  bit  of  flare  to  the  side.  Infact we'd  end  up  like  a  side  not  to  many  miles  away  from  us  languishing  in  NL2  and  having  to  rely  on  just  above  average  local  talent  and  play  in  front  of  600/700.

I'm  too  a  popularsider  and  I  detest  watching  games  from  the  Kells  end  because  I  don't  like  watching  games  from  behind  the  sticks  but  when  the  heavens  do  open  I'm  still  prepared  to  give  the  club  my  money  because  staying  away  would  only  make  the  problem  worse  in  the  long  run.

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:43:33 pm
....WhitehavenRLforever - thats all very is very commendable, but I am sick and tired of the BOD making promises re: the ground,  that they are unable/unwilling to keep. I honestly believe we are a bit of a laughing stock, I really do!

Monte2carlo

Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2008, 04:42:51 pm
....WhitehavenRLforever - thats all very is very commendable, but I am sick and tired of the BOD making promises re: the ground,  that they are unable/unwilling to keep. I honestly believe we are a bit of a laughing stock, I really do!

I agree fully with you, i am sick and tired of the same old clap about ground redevelopments. Its as bad now as Peter and the Wolf

Monte

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2008, 05:15:43 pm
I  agree  with  you  100%  Parton Marra  and  so  am  I. 

The  ground  is  a  joke  but  exactly  where  does  the  blame  lay  with.  Is  it  the  BOD  or  miners  welfare  or  do  you  look  at  the  Council  or  the  westlakes  regeneration  committee  for  lack  of  progress.  Its  all  1  sorry  mess  but  what  I  do  appreciate  is  the  club  have  made  some  astute  signings  in  bringing  Ade,  Carl,  Makisi (when fit )  and  Ryan Mc  to  the  club  which  fingers  crossed  should  put  us  in  a  good  position  come  the  playoffs.  If  people  start  jacking  the club  in  then  funding  quality  playing  staff  will  become  difficult  and  when  were  playing  the  likes  of  Gateshead,  Hunslet  and  Skolars  then  we  won't  need  an  upgrade  ground  will  we !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline MorbidFlorist

• Academy Signing
Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:15:11 am
I  agree  with  you  100%  Parton Marra  and  so  am  I. 

The  ground  is  a  joke  but  exactly  where  does  the  blame  lay  with.  Is  it  the  BOD  or  miners  welfare  or  do  you  look  at  the  Council  or  the  westlakes  regeneration  committee  for  lack  of  progress.  Its  all  1  sorry  mess  but  what  I  do  appreciate  is  the  club  have  made  some  astute  signings  in  bringing  Ade,  Carl,  Makisi (when fit )  and  Ryan Mc  to  the  club  which  fingers  crossed  should  put  us  in  a  good  position  come  the  playoffs.  If  people  start  jacking  the club  in  then  funding  quality  playing  staff  will  become  difficult  and  when  were  playing  the  likes  of  Gateshead,  Hunslet  and  Skolars  then  we  won't  need  an  upgrade  ground  will  we !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Hold on a second marra. I don't actually care where the blame lies regarding the stadium fiasco. All I know is that I'm paying good money on a Sunday afternoon in the 21st century to access facilities that were built in the late 1940's/1950's. Why should I carry on putting money into a club which hasn't got the foresight or finances to update the stadium on a continual basis ?
As I've mentioned before, I'm urinating in the same third-rate toilets my Dad was urinating in when he was a lad. Does this not strike anybody else as daft ?
Signing new players is good - but I'll think you find  Whitehaven RL are not the only club who do it. The choice the BOD has seems to be either sign players OR re-develop the stadium. Ask Des Byrne - he will be the first to tell you that ther is simply not enough money for the redevelopment of the ground. The only time the redevelopment plans were mentioned was after the announcement of a big hand-out. Nothing before this.
I haven't "jacked the club in". I am merely asking for the stadium  to brought into the 21st century. Then I will be more than happy to spend even more at the club. I actually do enjoy going (work permitting).
All the other clubs in our division with dreams of Super League have gone cap in hand to local councils, businessmen, companies for money to carry out work. Unfortunately we live in an area with a small population base and therefore a limited selection of companies etc. There simply isn't the amount of money round here compared to the Lancashire/Yorkshire heartlands. This is a fact that is unavoidable and unchangeable. We will always struggle for funding. The local council simply don't have the interest in the club unless it's Challenge Cup weekend and there are freebies to be had.
I have bought a house that was built in the 1950's - it has been looked after and constantly updated over the years. This is why I am happy to have bought it. Do the people responsible for the running of the club not understand the need to do this with the stadium/facilities ?

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2008, 09:15:53 am
very well said marra the ground is a joke and i think that keeps allot from coming its always pass the buck when questioned too something needs done or more will dwindle away its simple as that.

justonelilpoint

Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2008, 09:21:35 am
Some good points and was only last week i mentioned to a director that we couldnt spend a bit of cash on toilets in club last season, yet found money to pay that dead duck Baldwin!!

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:33:42 pm
Well  my  final  say  on  the  subject  is  its  a  crying  shame  the  REC  has  been  allowed  to  fall  into  such  a  state  of  disrepair.  It  needs  a  new  stand,  A  brick  built  clubhouse,  Scoreboard,  decent  toilets  and  roofing  over  part  of  the  popularside.  To  carry  out  such  would  would  require  substantial  funding  of  at  least  a  ?1m  which  sounds  alot  but  when  you  look at  other  clubs  and  whats  been  spent  on  their  grounds  its  peanuts  at  the  end  of  the day.

Rumours  are  doing  the  rounds  of  financial  troubles  which  doesn't  surprise  me  as  attendances  have  defo  dropped  off  over  the  last season  or  2.  The  ground  issue  is  probably  to  blame  and  clearly  we  have  a  BOD  who  seem unable  to  sort  out  the  situation.  Maybe  a  backroom  change  is  needed,  preferably  someone  who  can raise  the  funds  to  give  us  a  ground  we  deserve  as  we can't  rely  on  our  council  much  for  support.

Whatever  happens  though  its  up  to  all  TRUE FANS   to  still  get  behind  the  side  whatever  their  feelings.  Failure  to  do  so  could  send  the  club  spiralling  into  decline  similar  to  our  near  neighbours :( :(

Offline IceMan

• Academy Star
Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:29:11 pm

I think your a little confused.....your mixing "true fans" up with sheep and lemons

Get a grip

We pay to be entertained, just as if it was at the theatre or the cinema, and if we arent entertained we dont go, simple as.
If the cinema seats have holes in or the roof drips onto your head as you watch the movie will you return before the roof is fixed ?
I dont think so.
To call the people here who choose not to be uncomfortable as they watch the entetainment they have paid good money they have worked hard for "not real fans" is an insult.....
You sir need a reality check.

IceMan
(With frost in my hair on the pop side)

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:15:42 pm

I think your a little confused.....your mixing "true fans" up with sheep and lemons

Get a grip

We pay to be entertained, just as if it was at the theatre or the cinema, and if we arent entertained we dont go, simple as.
If the cinema seats have holes in or the roof drips onto your head as you watch the movie will you return before the roof is fixed ?
I dont think so.
To call the people here who choose not to be uncomfortable as they watch the entetainment they have paid good money they have worked hard for "not real fans" is an insult.....
You sir need a reality check.

IceMan
(With frost in my hair on the pop side)

I  never  said  that.