HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

A couple of strange announcments !

Boxer · 13 · 1444

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 25 Jan 2008, 10:13:02 pm
Seeds saying that he may well play this season.

and

Des announcing the Tongan centre is now our Quota player this year.

Re Seeds I can see the logic / need for him as cover.  We are thin in the backs if we get two or three injuries and it would be useful to have him as back up.  Still would do a good job especially if he is keen as he seems to be.

The Tongan as a quota player i cant understand.  He dosent qualify as the quota player having never played the required number of first grade games.  Also as a south sea islander he is exempt.  Not really sure where Des s coming from here?

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2008, 10:37:51 pm
does seeds not just mean the accadamy away games when we always short lol

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2008, 05:50:03 am
Retirement  comes  to  us  all  but  theres  going  to  be  times  when  he'll  be  watching  from  the  stands  just  itching  to  play.  He  may  be  veteran  age  but  could  possibly  have  done  1  more  year  even  if  it  was  just  as  backup  in  case  of  injuries

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2008, 09:31:30 am
I agree with Boxer. I think we could do with some clarification  on the quota issue please Des.

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2008, 10:08:08 am
I agree with Boxer. I think we could do with some clarification  on the quota issue please Des.

What is there to clarify? Our quota place has been taken due to work permit issues - pretty clear to me

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2008, 10:10:54 am
whether he quota or not he taking the money a quota playe would cost so we couldnt afford one anyway

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2008, 10:28:15 am
Leef i think you are misunderstanding the point.

You need a work permit to play but the permit is isued either based on your nationality i.e EU or In RL case Developing nations i.e Tongan Samoa etc OR as a quota player for which qualification  is by the standard you play i.e certain number of first grade games in the last 12 months with some exceptions for injury.

Our signing has not been clsoe to first grade in his life so would not qualify on the quota basis.  Therefor ethe only way we could sign him is as an emerging nations player.  Therefore he cant take the quota spot.

Now to say we don't have the money and therefore will not be signing a quota player is fine but differnet to the remark Des made.

Given six weeks ago Crarey and Des said they would bide there time before signing a quota player I am not sure it is a money issue.

Our Tongan signing just does not qualitfy on the quota system as far as I can see which I was qondering what des was going on about.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2008, 10:49:50 am
Leef i think you are misunderstanding the point.

You need a work permit to play but the permit is isued either based on your nationality i.e EU or In RL case Developing nations i.e Tongan Samoa etc OR as a quota player for which qualification  is by the standard you play i.e certain number of first grade games in the last 12 months with some exceptions for injury.

Our signing has not been clsoe to first grade in his life so would not qualify on the quota basis.  Therefor ethe only way we could sign him is as an emerging nations player.  Therefore he cant take the quota spot.

Now to say we don't have the money and therefore will not be signing a quota player is fine but differnet to the remark Des made.

Given six weeks ago Crarey and Des said they would bide there time before signing a quota player I am not sure it is a money issue.

Our Tongan signing just does not qualitfy on the quota system as far as I can see which I was qondering what des was going on about.

when signed the RFL said he was non quota, now due to work permit issues the rfl have said he is quota
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2008, 02:13:53 pm
and correct me if im wrong as of this season tongans and samoans now count as quota players due to the new rules applied by the rfl? or is that next season

Offline Rob_Haven

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2008, 04:18:55 pm
if it was widnes leigh or rangers crusaders would this still be?
ANCIENT AND LOYAL

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2008, 07:36:48 pm
if it was widnes leigh or rangers crusaders would this still be?

I  think  Celtic  can  sign  just  about  anyone  they  want  and  the  RFL  would  turn  a blind  eye >:(

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2008, 01:40:17 pm
Celtic can sign anyone because they are all employed by the RFL as "DEVELOPMENT OFFICERS" ........ they now have more DO's in south wales than there are players at any level in the surrounding area.  ;)

Offline Rob_Haven

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2008, 09:31:20 pm
in the world martin lol
ANCIENT AND LOYAL