Reply #15 on: 03 Feb 2008, 07:11:57 pm
i would they will improve its only game 1 of the season
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #16 on: 03 Feb 2008, 07:14:31 pm
Fatialofa was the standout Prop again, but Edmondson, Jacko & McDonald all performed well enough.

Karl may not have taken many carries up, but don't forget his defensive contribution.

Edmondsons greatest asset is his turn of pace and the speed at which he hits the tackler, complete opposite to Teare.

Disappointed Teare was named 18th man, he doesn't deserve it and won't make the grade at Haven.

Ford should have been 18th man or maybe Shackley as Hill was in squad and could have moved up to Prop

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #17 on: 03 Feb 2008, 08:12:54 pm
Not a bad first competitive game. Conditions dictated the play, not really a day for the type of Rugby PC wants us to play.

Thought everyone performed Ok with Matty playing 70 mins without a break well up there.

Finch looks a handful and will only get better as him and Duffy learn how to play with each other.

Calvert seemed more aggressive and keener to take in the ball, also his effort to stop that 40-20 was outstanding.

Gary Broadbent was again solid and PC has him passing the ball, something we have very rarely seen before.

We missed Sice off the bench, and on pre-season form would have given Shakcs or Fordy a run out rather than risk Spencer only 2 weeks after an op.

And in all my years at the REC, that was the coldest i have ever been today, so much for Summer Rugby :)

TW

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2008, 09:56:35 pm
Attendance  apparently  was  only  1250  which  is  very  dissapointing  especially  when  its  the  1st  competetive  game  of  the  season.

The  weather  was  probably  1  of  the  main  factors  for  such  a  poor  turnout  and  probably  knocked  around  500  off  the  gate.

The  lack  of  progress  on  the  ground  could  be  another  contributor  for  the  lack  of  numbers.  Also  the  fact  that its  still  classed  as  a  mickey  mouse comp.  I'm  sure  many  would  like  to  see  this  cup  scrapped  and  have  just  the  league  similar  to  what  they  have  in  SL

Offline tattie

• Academy Star
Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2008, 10:02:32 pm
Attendance  apparently  was  only  1250  which  is  very  dissapointing  especially  when  its  the  1st  competetive  game  of  the  season.

The  weather  was  probably  1  of  the  main  factors  for  such  a  poor  turnout  and  probably  knocked  around  500  off  the  gate.

The  lack  of  progress  on  the  ground  could  be  another  contributor  for  the  lack  of  numbers.  Also  the  fact  that its  still  classed  as  a  mickey  mouse comp.  I'm  sure  many  would  like  to  see  this  cup  scrapped  and  have  just  the  league  similar  to  what  they  have  in  SL

GOD IT WAS COLD DOWN THERE TODAY

« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2008, 10:10:33 pm by MrsHavenWarrior »
ALWAYS  HAVEN

Monte2carlo

Reply #20 on: 03 Feb 2008, 11:01:33 pm
It might have been cold, but it was worth paying ?13.00 too see Ade's comedy try. i am still laughing about that

Monte

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 04 Feb 2008, 09:45:26 am
Despite the dreadfull conditions one team were trying to play adventurous rugby but sadly it wasn't us. We look uncomfortable when we try to string a series of passes together. Yes we ground out a victory. Was it impressive?  I didn't think so. There were isolated bits of classy play and support work but overall same game as last year with lots of one man stick it up your jumper stuff.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #22 on: 04 Feb 2008, 10:52:45 am
I  don't  think  you  could  play  adventurous  rugby  in  them  conditions.  I  know  it  isn't  pretty  but  sticking  it up  your  jumper  is  probably  the  best  policy  in  a  gale  force  wind.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #23 on: 04 Feb 2008, 10:59:12 am

considering the weather, the competetion we are currently playing in and the fact that we were playing a NL2 team (having already put 40+ points on two teams from that league already) i think the attendance was pretty good
haven till i die

Offline Kellsmarra

• Academy Star
Reply #24 on: 04 Feb 2008, 11:29:20 am
i thought Keighley played well and used the conditions better than us with their kicks
but our skill factor was far better ....    can't wait for the better weather to come ....come on the Haven ::)

Offline kellsendlad

• Academy Signing
Reply #25 on: 04 Feb 2008, 12:48:05 pm
i think we ground out a decent enough win in the conditions
would have been a bigger score but for some last gasp defending
and some dodgy refs decisions all in all it wasn't a day for watching rugby
never mind playing it
my only criticism was Scott macavoy not passing the ball to Calvert on lots
of occasions and when the ball was passed it was way too early so he
and Ade didn't stand much of a chance also kicking from the scrum would
have been ideal today but was never used

Offline Bora18

• Academy Star
Reply #26 on: 04 Feb 2008, 01:00:03 pm
I  don't  think  you  could  play  adventurous  rugby  in  them  conditions.  I  know  it  isn't  pretty  but  sticking  it up  your  jumper  is  probably  the  best  policy  in  a  gale  force  wind.

correct

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #27 on: 04 Feb 2008, 01:55:08 pm
Agree with a lot of what has been said BUT !

Why is it that we never use the conditions ? yesterday Keighley showed what the wind could do at a kick off and won the ball back twice in the first half by clever kicking towards touch. What did we do when we had the opportunity ? kick the ball straight down the field, we never varry the KO it always goes to the same part of the field...........

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #28 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:07:23 pm
I thought the first half was dire from a Haven point of view, all that one man dreary rugby and the weather conditions didn't seem to hamper Keighley s passing game. I thought their handling was slicker than ours in the first half, they looked confident with ball in hand and some of their running off the ball was good. The second half however, Haven did buck up their ideas but it wasn't great to watch. Admittedly, the weather was shocking. Duffy seems to be going through the motions a bit to me and looked a bit sluggish, although his half back partner, Finch, looked lively and wanted the ball. Matty was man of the match imo, though our forwards worked hard. Broadbent should learn to pass and our wingers should be given more ball. Satisfactory on a FREEZING day.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:21:23 pm
poor conditions to play rugby league in yesterday, the wind was blowing from right to left to so throwing long passes from right to left first half wasnt an option, throwing right to left was an option but the ball could have easily blow over someones had or got there quicker than expected forcing an error.

now PC has been coaching us for 3-4 months. dr coached the lads for 2 years, its going to take the lads a bit of time to get rid of what rotherham had them playing like and to pick up what cresta wants them to play like, he had barrow for 2 years and it took them 1 year to get it sorted and look at the sort of rugby they played it was very entertaining hence the big crowds they got.
so far look at the results haven have got 48-0, 44-6,32-10.
thats for 122, against 16, not bad going we have scored something like 25 tries in 3 games, wich imo is very good.

the lads will stil be rust 3rd game of the season but it was the first competitve game of the year, wait until the league starts on firmer grounds then you will see the style of rugby that cresta is teaching the lads  ;)