HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Starting Games Faster ... Hurting the opposition early on

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Anyone got any suggestions why over recent seasons we seem to start games on the back foot and only pick up the tempo after the 30 min mark or later ..... often  when we are a few points adrift? ......(I know its early season and we haven't seen much of our new team /tactics this year yet).

However Cresta has identified this as an issue too, and the Keithley game didn't seem to produce any better first 30 than in the past. Likewise Swinton kept kept us 'occupied' for longer than I would have hoped .... i.e. we didn't really break away from them until the last quarter.

And don't just give me the DR stuff, it's gone on lfor onger than his period in charge.

I know teams try to keep it tight early on, and tiredness / forward changes kick in as the first half progresses, however if we could hurt teams early with quick points, I feel we would see a better all round return from the team over the full game ...... tails up / confidence for us and up hill challenge / demotivation for the opposition.

Easy isn't it !!!!!  (joke)

Offline kellsendlad

• Academy Signing
i think us the supporters don't help did you notice the silence as soon as the ball was
kicked off against keighley and the only time there was any noise from the terraces
was when a winger got the ball everyone shouted go on and that was it maybe we are
helping other teams grow in confidence these days when we used to be so intimidating