HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Boxer

Boxer · 30 · 2081

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 09 Feb 2008, 07:34:52 pm
I have been reading the comments posted in response to my views and felt it necessary to give some background to my opinions.

I have been involved in RugbyLeague for 41 years

If and when we have in the past signed quality I wil recognise it.  My observations are based on the fact that i do not belive that the current directors are doing right by the fans.

(1) Playing budget reduced by 30%

(2) No ground improvements..Bear in bind when BNFL wanted to build the directors box it went up in minutes.   Do not be fooled by the ownership of the ground issue .  We have already built one stand without much trouble.

Hell if  i told you everything i knew ..you blokes would not sleep....!.       
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 10:02:49 am by Boxer »

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2008, 08:01:30 pm
   Do not be fooled by the ownership of the ground issue .  We have already built one stand without much trouble.      

Agree  with you  on  that  one

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2008, 08:27:19 pm
yep i agree boxer all is not rosey in the garden and rumours are we could be back in the pre 92 days god forbid
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2008, 09:01:26 pm
Quite frankly if any anyone wants to ask some direct questions ...I could probably give some quite messsy answers.   

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2008, 09:36:58 pm
Well Boxer as far as I'm concerned I know that there are many things about the club that are being done poorly, incorrectly or in a number of cases not at all. The vast majority of these issues are related to the BOD and the running of the club. However as a genuine life long fan there is vary little, in fact NOTHING that I as an individual can do about them, so I just have to get on with things and hope that they change. On matters related to this I would find that we would proably agree. However what I dislike about many of your posts is the way you criticise various members of the playing or coaching staff. These blokes are in the majority of cases doing their best in order to move the club forward and criticising people (our props) after only one competitive game and saying that we will concede loads of trys in my opinion is not only negative, unhelpful and unnecessary. It is far too early to make any judgment's on the season ahead and by making comments like you do is achieving nothing. As fans we have very little power, we do however have the ability to get behind the team and support them come what may. If as the season goes by there is criticism to be given once there is plenty of evidence then so be it. The only power we have as fans is to not pay the entrance fee. But what will that do other than to make the situation worse. So all we can do is hope that matters relating to the running of the club improve.

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2008, 12:12:23 am
How much do you want your own ego massaged by making a thread about yourself. If you are a supporter, get over yourself. You've started this thread about YOU, how great does that make you feel, people on here discussing your thoughts, thats all they are, you're thoughts. No big deal, this board is a place to discuss what we think about certain aspects about Haven, then again YOU'VE been involved in rugby for over 40 years (so what) YOU played for Haven over 20 years ago (so what), I'm not that bothered about what you know or dont know, what I do know is that we are a club that aren't in debt (how many can you say that about), the simple facts are that all I want is a team to give 100% every time they put on a Whitehaven shirt. The last few years have been as good as I've ever know, including the yoyo years of the early 80s, if you did play for us in the 70's then you'll probably have been one of my childhood hero's but that doesn't give you 'carte blance' to knock those that are working for the club now. Why do you feel it necessary to pick faults constantly, are you holding a grudge cos thats how it appears, do you want to come across a vindictive person that snipes constantly, it isn't pretty reading and you dont come across as an approachable person who has the best interests of the club at heart, anyone can give an opinion. Why does your come over as constantly negative. Not everything in the garden is rosey, then again its not all doom and gloom.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2008, 12:25:16 am
I have been reading the comments posted in response to my views and felt it necessary to give some background to my opinions.

I have been involved in RugbyLeague for 41 years between 1966 and the present day.  I infact played  "few" games for Haven in the 70'S.  I have "coached at" Haven and also at two  amauture clubs in the area .   I know many of you personally.

My comments are based on genuine observation of what is going on at the club I am a true suppotter    If and when we have in the past signed quality I wil recognise it.  My observations are based on the fact that i do not belive that the current directors are doing right by the fans.

(1) Playing budget reduced by 30%

(2) No ground improvements..Bear in bind when BNFL wanted to build the directors box it went up in minutes.   Do not be fooled by the ownership of the ground issue .  We have already built one stand without much trouble.

Hell if  i told you everything i knew ..you blokes would not sleep....!.       

Is this Boxer Walker?????

i also no someone who is claiming haven are in financial difficulty that they could be going back to the 92 era!!!!
Something i hope is not true
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 12:27:56 am by rockerlad »
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

justonelilpoint

Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2008, 08:53:36 am
Would be surprised if there wasnt many clubs struggling financially at this stage of the season. Its a long off season now with no gate money or sponsorship from September to February.
We all want improvements on the ground that seems to look worse each season, But same time we  want a  team that competes, so difficult to juggle finances and do both.
I look above and read that there is nothing us supporters can do  to change things.....well i disagree....There's lads and lasses now working their socks off raising cash through support group,selling tickets and merchandise and running the bar (Im beginning to wonder if Paul and Dave sleep in that club having seen them working there last night)
Theres the internet support group site who've just raised ?500 to sponsor players and help the club
and on another site they've just started an independant supporters club with a nest egg like Rochdales to try and save cash up to perhaps purchase things on ground that the club arent in position to do, Electronic scoreboard etc...all things we like to moan about the lack of. Already we've raised over ?600 in donations and a sweep in club and thats just in a  month.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 08:55:56 am by justonelilpoint »

Offline HWL

• Global Moderator
  • Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2008, 09:08:10 am
Sounds like a certain ex-player/ex-coach/current shareholder with the initials GC!!!!
El Tel.

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2008, 10:24:11 am
Would be surprised if there wasnt many clubs struggling financially at this stage of the season. Its a long off season now with no gate money or sponsorship from September to February.
We all want improvements on the ground that seems to look worse each season, But same time we  want a  team that competes, so difficult to juggle finances and do both.
I look above and read that there is nothing us supporters can do  to change things.....well i disagree....There's lads and lasses now working their socks off raising cash through support group,selling tickets and merchandise and running the bar (Im beginning to wonder if Paul and Dave sleep in that club having seen them working there last night)
Theres the internet support group site who've just raised ?500 to sponsor players and help the club
and on another site they've just started an independant supporters club with a nest egg like Rochdales to try and save cash up to perhaps purchase things on ground that the club arent in position to do, Electronic scoreboard etc...all things we like to moan about the lack of. Already we've raised over ?600 in donations and a sweep in club and thats just in a  month.

You misunderstand the reference I was making to being able to do nothing. I was refereing to board room decisions and the running of the club. I did later refer to fully supporting the club come what may. I was emphasising our lack of ability to influence major change and progress.

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2008, 10:33:55 am
Well Boxer as far as I'm concerned I know that there are many things about the club that are being done poorly, incorrectly or in a number of cases not at all. The vast majority of these issues are related to the BOD and the running of the club. However as a genuine life long fan there is vary little, in fact NOTHING that I as an individual can do about them, so I just have to get on with things and hope that they change. On matters related to this I would find that we would proably agree. However what I dislike about many of your posts is the way you criticise various members of the playing or coaching staff. These blokes are in the majority of cases doing their best in order to move the club forward and criticising people (our props) after only one competitive game and saying that we will concede loads of trys in my opinion is not only negative, unhelpful and unnecessary. It is far too early to make any judgment's on the season ahead and by making comments like you do is achieving nothing. As fans we have very little power, we do however have the ability to get behind the team and support them come what may. If as the season goes by there is criticism to be given once there is plenty of evidence then so be it. The only power we have as fans is to not pay the entrance fee. But what will that do other than to make the situation worse. So all we can do is hope that matters relating to the running of the club improve.

good post. as fans we support the team and if the BOD is a mess then it should not effect our views on the players and coaches.

justonelilpoint

Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2008, 10:35:04 am
Yeah see where you coming from
But im on about the little things that can be changed by fans collectively, as you say things that are done poorly and  things around the ground  that could be in our our hands , which id class as progress.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2008, 11:18:38 am
I'm  sure  the  BOD   are doing  their best  for  the  club.  I  can't  beleve  for  1  minute  Des  and  Co  would  want  to  back  to  the dark  days  of  the  90's  or  even  the  Tamati  era  when  we  were  pulling  in  800/900  a game.

From  a  financial  point  of  view  we  could  certainly  do  with  more fans  through  the  gates.  When  we  played  Leigh  at  home  last  year  it pulled  in  just  1800ish. Same  fixture  the  year  before  would  have  got  2500. The  grounds  a  major  issue  but  also  the  predictable  style  of  play  under DR  was  another reason  for  bit  part  fans  not  to  turn  up.

IMO  we  have  a stronger  team  than  last year  and  if  we  can  produce  an  exciting style of  rugby  and  get results  I'm  sure  many  fans would  return.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2008, 01:25:00 pm
The ground is nowhere near a good standard and allot of people are put off when coming and year by year its getting worse something needs done its simple as that. The team and fans deserve better. 

Offline MorbidFlorist

• Academy Signing
Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2008, 05:23:59 pm
The ground is nowhere near a good standard and allot of people are put off when coming and year by year its getting worse something needs done its simple as that. The team and fans deserve better. 

Supported Haven for a lot of years ( Cottier coaching etc..........) and have put my fair share of money behind the bar, sponsorship packages etc. Have now stopped going due to the fact that I do not like getting soaked when watching sport. As you get older you no longer want to get soaked to the skin for 80/90 minutes and then trudge off home.
I dislike watching the game from behind the sticks and believe that watching sport should be done standing up. Even them lot up the road have got covered terracing...... in poor nick but it's still there. I agree that the team and the fans deserve better. But you're not going to see it in the short to medium term future.
Call me a fair weather fan or whatever but I'm just too demoralised by the stadium fiasco to care anymore. Was going to go down and watch this season but I'll be consulting the weatherman first and if it's going to be crap weather then Des and the boys will at least ?13 down on that day.
As for Boxer, it's a free, public forum so let him have his say. If you don't like what he says, unlucky. Get over it. Do you really think Des Byrne gives two hoots about what's said on this forum ? Didn't think so.