HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Halifax v Haven - your thoughts?

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #45 on: 17 Feb 2008, 10:56:20 pm
Judging  by  the  comments  of  those  who made  the  trip  I think  a massive  win  next  week  against  Town  should  be  the  least  the  recre  faithfull  deserve.

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #46 on: 17 Feb 2008, 11:56:41 pm
An abysmal performance - even worse than the NRC final last year. There was only 3 or 4 players who looked even remotely interested in playing. The game should never have been played on that pitch - a third of it was frozen and being in the shade of the stand never had a chance to defrost. The match should've been called off before we left this morning. The Haven players seemed to take one look at the state of it and decided it was worth the effort. Fats and Jacko looked like they were playing in trainers. I know it's only early days, but Makisi looked like he'd never played centre in his life. He was dragged all over the place in defence. GB could've walked when Fax scored their first try for decapitating the scorer. If you give Ganson the opportunity to penalise you, he'll take great delight in doing it all day and that's exactly what happened. All we can hope for is that this was a one off due to the conditions, but players sholuld always put in 100% whenever they pull on the shirt. We were totally outplayed in the forwards.

However, the only positive i could take was that we were probably on their line as much as they were on ours. We seemed to force it too much at times and Fax picked up the loose ball and went full length. As for dealing with Holroyd, he did nothing today as he wasn't needed. I doubt he had a shower afterwards.

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #47 on: 18 Feb 2008, 08:57:49 am
I listened to the game on the radio and that was bad enough. The worrying thing for me was the apparent ease in which Fax broke through our defence and the lack of cohesion and discipline from Haven. There can't be any excuses - the pitch, the ref etc, because it was the same pitch and ref for Fax! Lets hope this was a one off and thank God it wasn't a league game.
Our new quota player certainly doesn't seem to be all he was made out to be. You can understand him being off the pace a bit but to hear things like 'out of his depth' and 'looked like he'd never played centre in his life', it starts alarm bells ringing. A big win against Town, imo, next week really proves nowt, because we have to start performing against the big boys and we have fallen flat on our faces at the first hurdle.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #48 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:01:20 am
A big win at keighley away would help too, not just home games!

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #49 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:26:31 am
A big win at keighley away would help too, not just home games!

If  we  play  like  that  I  can't  even  see  us  beating  keighley :(

Offline Bora18

• Academy Star
Reply #50 on: 18 Feb 2008, 12:15:43 pm
even keighley put 40 on fax

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #51 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:04:18 pm
Having made the trip to Halifax I can tell you all it was awful.

Tongan ambles about the field.

Finch made to look out of his depth.

Duffy does not look fit.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, both Swinton and Keithley found it easy to burst through our defence, Halifax exploited that to the full.

As for a new attacking play, it wasn't evident, and infact it was fax who threw it about in style.

We look to be shambolic, and I have to say (sorry) Boxers early comments in this thread look to be very near the mark.

How Cresta pulls this round I have no idea ..... you CAN'T attack unless its from a sound and solid defence .... we don't seem to have one.

Have we sacrificed defence for attack and achieved neither ?? .... I think we may have.

Lets see all of those who craved for open attacking play cope with an onging series of heavy defeats this year !!!

Offline Marraforlife

• Academy Star
Reply #52 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:21:37 pm
THe Marras were diabolical, but all of this pessimism doesn't help. UP THE MARRAS!

Also - lay off Makisi - he's a good egg and deserves more than one game to prove himself.

What are we, Newcastle fans?? ???

Offline nuttyfox

• Academy Signing
Reply #53 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:48:08 pm
I was more astonished than upset I must admit.  Paul Crarey is a fantastic coach, the playing and coaching staff are really top drawer.  We really have nothing to worry about. 

Rudd and Calvert will take us to the title. 

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #54 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:50:18 pm
agree wid nuttyfox haven have everything and hopefully this week theyl put it right and give town a good tonking and get the fans back on track cos most are shocked at what the hell happend yestaday

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #55 on: 18 Feb 2008, 03:04:14 pm
How Cresta pulls this round I have no idea ..... you CAN'T attack unless its from a sound and solid defence .... we don't seem to have one.

Have we sacrificed defence for attack and achieved neither ?? .... I think we may have.

That would be the Kevin Keegan approach to coaching then ;)

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #56 on: 18 Feb 2008, 08:44:46 pm
Not wanting to sound controversial but my marra was at the match and he said it was a great day . The pies were lovely, the cheer leaders were well fit and and he dropped 50 quid on the fruit machine in the supporters bar.

Well you've gotto lok for positives even when they are invisible haven't you

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #57 on: 19 Feb 2008, 08:25:57 am
Maybe the lads had overdone it on the pies prior to kick off Beachbum, hence the poor performance!!