on: 12 Mar 2008, 12:07:21 pm
News & Star Home
Cash lifeline for Haven
By Martin Morgan

Last updated 11:14, Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Haven: Boosted by support from council

EXCLUSIVE

By Martin Morgan

WHITEHAVEN could be about to receive a major cash injection from Copeland Council - 16 years after the authority last stepped in to help secure the club?s future.

It is understood a huge five-figure sum is being discussed by councillors today, that will help the club over its short-run financial concerns, if agreed.

The council is the club?s biggest shareholder after injecting ?30,000 in to the Recre in 1992.

The current crisis is understood to be just as serious and an imminent decision is expected from Copeland.

Haven officials remain tight-lipped about all potential avenues of support, but other backers are still being sought to ensure the club remains viable in the longer run.

The new board will reveal the club?s financial status at its AGM next month.

Meanwhile, stalled talks to bring the Recre up to top-flight standard are back on.

And it is believed the ?500,000 promised by BNFL for the regeneration of the Pow Beck area, with the Recre at its centre, is still on the table.

Long-standing ground improvement talks had hit a dead end under the old Haven board.

But new chairman Gordon Grace is now cautiously optimistic over the project?s future after reopening negotiations.

"It?s all systems go," he said. "I?ve spoken to everyone involved in ground improvements and they are all positive.

"We are moving forward quite clearly. But for anything to happen, everyone has to be flexible.

"We need a modern stadium, fit for purpose, with good facilities."

Grace has met representatives of Haven?s landlords, the Miners Welfare, development company West Lakes Renaissance,  and major club sponsors Washington, in addition to Copeland Council.

"Everyone has been very professional and informative in discussions," Grace added. The new board have made ground improvements a top priority.

"We all understood the need to move forward because talks had ground to a halt. They just needed to be moved along."

what does everyone think about this? better times ahead hopefully !

IpswichSteve

Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2008, 12:20:20 pm

WHITEHAVEN could be about to receive a major cash injection from Copeland Council - 16 years after the authority last stepped in to help secure the club?s future.

It is understood a huge five-figure sum is being discussed by councillors today, that will help the club over its short-run financial concerns, if agreed.

The council is the club?s biggest shareholder after injecting ?30,000 in to the Recre in 1992.

The current crisis is understood to be just as serious and an imminent decision is expected from Copeland.

Still in denial BKM and all you rose tinted boys?  Don't like to say i told you so...... :D

Cap in hand again, dear oh dear the poor Taxpayer has to pay for your
financial mismanagement.

So if you didnt get an handout you would have gone into admin by the looks of it.

At least when we tried to buy success, we actually achieved some.  ;)

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2008, 12:51:59 pm
So if you didnt get an handout you would have gone into admin by the looks of it.

Isn't this the deluded half wit (sorry to all the half wits out there, tarring you with the same brush as this clown), who said the other week we were definitely going into administration, he'd heard off a good source. So now you're saying it looks like we may be going into admin by your reckoning. Well folks its make you're mind up time, which rumour we going to fall for this week  ::). Steve go back with your two cronies on the sad message board you have and slap each other on the back, thats if you can manage to post anything regarding rugby league on there without getting in the way of the tumbleweed.

IpswichSteve

Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2008, 01:08:08 pm
 :D :D

Recre i never said that you were deffo going
into Admin? Did say that you were in big trouble,
do you not think the News & Star article tends to
suggest that is the case.

Cap in hand again, dear oh dear, new nickname
Whitehaven "Beggars", Whitehaven "Rip off the Tax Payers"

You not ashamed by your clubs mismanagement, you should
be.  :o :o

As for www.rlfans.com board, yep tumbleweed, yes two or three of
us who are mates and a few others, your point is?  :D :D
Anything about RL, nah rather laugh at you lot, much more
cheery.  :-*

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2008, 01:38:29 pm
steve last time you had success the players were playing in long pants with a lace up ball and it was in black and white on the box. move with the times you jerk.
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2008, 01:56:14 pm
As for www.rlfans.com board, yep tumbleweed, yes two or three of
us who are mates and a few others, your point is?  :D :D

My point is Steve, that even your fellow Townies got totally fed up with your posts and the way you behaved in badgering people who didn't agree with you. Therefore you've found yourself and your cronies on RLFANS. You even congratulate each other on getting banned off the other forum, how adult like is that. So you then get a bit bored on there and try and stir things up by coming on here and posting as you do. You seem to be well educated and responsible at times, then others you decide to go into chav mode, is it the old addage of taking the boy out of Wukintun but not the ............

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2008, 02:26:26 pm
I don't want to get too excited but it looks like we might have turned the corner with our financial troubles. Ipwich Steve doesn't like that though. He talks of having to go cap in hand. Isn't that what any club does when it tries to attract sponsors and investors.

He says we would have probably gone in to administration if Copeland hadn't bailed us out. I don't think so. we would have had to explore other avenues of attracting finance. The success so far is testimony to the management skills of the new board members. Different management styles and a fresh injection of enthusiasm and professionalism have got the ball rolling again.

He then talks about the success town enjoyed. Just remind us again Steve which success was this.

IpswichSteve

Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2008, 02:28:20 pm
Recre - fair points well made, yes am rather mischievous at times. only
attempting to have a laugh.

As for the Town boards,  all three are virtually empty, and i rarely post on two of
them, so i dont think im responsible for that. Lets face it due to over a decade in the
wilderness there is little interest in the club.

While as for being a wukinton boy, thankfully can say no to that one as well, not even
born in the county while went to school in Cockermouth.

Being serious, how could it go so wrong for Haven in such a quick period of time on the
finance front?

Silvershadow - ha ha ha more insults love it.  Sure can remember seeing us on SKY
in COLOUR in SUPER LEAGUE, not that long ago marra.  :)

Havenbeachbum - Investment. - its not investment its going begging to the local council. 
to be an investment there would be an hope of a return which in this case there obviously
isnt.  Still in denial, dear oh dear.

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2008, 02:57:08 pm
yes steve when i wasnt actually at the games to watch them live. used to enjoy the games but only went when haven were not at home. but when it all went wrong i never went on forums to gloat about towns downfall thats why i cant understand why you love coming on here and doing just that. typical intransigent jam eating chav / accountant :P
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2008, 03:36:08 pm
its great news if its true!

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2008, 03:37:19 pm
I don't want to get too excited but it looks like we might have turned the corner with our financial troubles.

We haven't really though, even IF we do get a cash injection from CBC.

All that will do is pay off the creditors and buy us time to get our house in order.

Paying off the creditors is only the beginning. From there we have to make sure that we are only spending what we can afford to avoid getting back into trouble. Unless we're going to see a big increase in revenue, which is unlikely, then it'll mean the club will have to cut costs - probably starting with big changes to the team as we'll have to let the bigger earners go.

If we carry on with the same players on the same money on the same revenue then we'll end up back at square one.

Tough times ahead for a while folks, we'd better get used to it.

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2008, 05:07:06 pm
hard to swallow but very true i think tommygun >:(
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:17:27 pm
Tommygun i suspect we have already made dramatic cuts to the playing budget si i doubt anymore are necessary.

We have lost

Rotherham - full time salary

Trindalls - Full time salary
Maiden
Duffy
Seeds
Lester
Smith

All from last year who i suspect most of were on the better wages

We have replaced with

Crarey part time coach
Masiki
Finch
Adeisei
Edmondson

None of whom i suspect are on the same salaries as their more experienced predessors.

IpswichSteve

Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:41:43 pm
Interesting point raised on the rlfans board from a
Copeland Rates payer.

Quote from: 'anok4u'
Im one Harry and its wrong very wrong they are talking about getting rid of careline a life saver for the elderly cause they havnt got funds for it,they sold all the council houses,the sports centre,the baths and the bowling club at cleator moor all cause they hadnt the money for there up keep.I dont want my money to be thrown away on a run down waste of time that hasnt got an history or a future.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:42:59 pm
Its  about  time  the  council  stepped  in  to  help  the  club.  When  you  look  at  other  clubs  and  how  much  their  councils  have  helped  them  in  ground  improvements  its  the  very  least  CBC  could  do.  

IMO  its  important  for  the  Town  that  we  have  a  successful  club.  A  successful  side  brings  in  publicity  for  the  area,  creates  a  few jobs  and  if  we  ever  achieve  SL which I doubt,  a  boost  to  the  local  economy  which  judging  by  our  run  down  Town  is  badly  needed.  

Infact  if  the  council  and  everyone  else  involved  had  got  their  fingers  out  we  might  have  had  a  ground  fit  for  SL  and  we  wouldn't  be  in  this  financial  mess.  Becuase  of  the  poor  facilities  its  knocking  at  east  500  of  every  home  gate  and  thats  alot of  cash  over  the  season.