HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

copeland council bail out haven ??

Offline HMS HAVEN

• Academy Star
Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:00:17 pm
Interesting point raised on the rlfans board from a
Copeland Rates payer.

Quote from: 'anok4u'
Im one Harry and its wrong very wrong they are talking about getting rid of careline a life saver for the elderly cause they havnt got funds for it,they sold all the council houses,the sports centre,the baths and the bowling club at cleator moor all cause they hadnt the money for there up keep.I dont want my money to be thrown away on a run down waste of time that hasnt got an history or a future.

you will be starting a petition next IS. SADDO !

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star
Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:05:42 pm
Interesting point raised on the rlfans board from a
Copeland Rates payer.

Quote from: 'anok4u'
Im one Harry and its wrong very wrong they are talking about getting rid of careline a life saver for the elderly cause they havnt got funds for it,they sold all the council houses,the sports centre,the baths and the bowling club at cleator moor all cause they hadnt the money for there up keep.I dont want my money to be thrown away on a run down waste of time that hasnt got an history or a future.

who just happens to be a town fan......thats 1 person LOL jealous are we steve that our council cares unlike allerdale who let town go into admin causing multiple small buisness to fold and struggle.
How many allerdale rate payers dont want money threw into a new stadium that will be used by 600 fans ????
But Town are there cap in hand asking for a new super duper stadium to house there pathetic following.

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:06:35 pm

WHITEHAVEN could be about to receive a major cash injection from Copeland Council - 16 years after the authority last stepped in to help secure the club?s future.

It is understood a huge five-figure sum is being discussed by councillors today, that will help the club over its short-run financial concerns, if agreed.

The council is the club?s biggest shareholder after injecting ?30,000 in to the Recre in 1992.

The current crisis is understood to be just as serious and an imminent decision is expected from Copeland.
I

Still in denial BKM and all you rose tinted boys?  Don't like to say i told you so...... :D

Cap in hand again, dear oh dear the poor Taxpayer has to pay for your
financial mismanagement.

So if you didnt get an handout you would have gone into admin by the looks of it.

At least when we tried to buy success, we actually achieved some.  ;)
Tut Tut Steve read the press release in the Whitehaven news mate stops you looking a fool.

I quote
It is understood that the council will NOT be putting any extra money directly into the club itself but has played a key part with partners in unlocking funding from other sources. unquote.
Now that is good news   ::) ::)

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:14:42 pm
All this complaining and moaning about the council getting involved is ridiculous. As an organisation that should look after the community they should help out when needs be. Also are the council not one of, if not the biggest shareholder in the club. If so they should be helping to support the club when times are hard.

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:18:19 pm
I agree marra when you consider all the stuff Haven do in the schools and community (some of which the council should be doing) the least we can expect is some backing even though none is financial.  If the council can help pull in funding then get it done.

IpswichSteve

Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:29:26 pm
Tut Tut Steve read the press release in the Whitehaven news mate stops you looking a fool.

:D Oreet Champ me old mucka how you doing? Were not all privelaged to the latest info.,
not even on the jameating news site as far as i can see.

Yes I'm a fool  8) and surely the same goes for Martin "jambo" Morgan, he's the one who 
broke the Copeland Story, probably given to him by an inside source.  ;)

Builders were moving in three years ago werent they?  :o
How does development pay debts?
Also don't forget what KeithT always tells you about building on the land.  ::)

While another example of a cost cutting measure is here   ::)

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2008, 08:38:14 pm
getting this sum of money mentioned from the source mentioned will only just keep the wolves from the door.i wouldnt get too carried away. i do hope they can sort something out as haven have done well in recent years and put cumbria on the map but if i were a rate payer living in whitehaven with no interest in haven  i would not be very happy. haven averaged 2k fans and i would imagine this to be a low percentage of the copeland population.surely there wil be sevral organisations looking on in disbelief.should the people of copeland be asked if this is where they want there cash to be spent??

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2008, 08:46:50 pm
getting this sum of money mentioned from the source mentioned will only just keep the wolves from the door.i wouldnt get too carried away. i do hope they can sort something out as haven have done well in recent years and put cumbria on the map but if i were a rate payer living in whitehaven with no interest in haven  i would not be very happy. haven averaged 2k fans and i would imagine this to be a low percentage of the copeland population.surely there wil be sevral organisations looking on in disbelief.should the people of copeland be asked if this is where they want there cash to be spent??

Read again marra
It is understood that the council will NOT be putting any extra money directly into the club itself but has played a key part with partners in unlocking funding from other sources. unquote

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #23 on: 12 Mar 2008, 09:10:25 pm
ok champ. so who are the "other sources" is the question then. "IF"its from a fund for the development of copeland in genral i still say some folk in copeland wouldnt be happy if it went to a club that only entertains an average of 2k people once a fortnight from february to september.. i work with people from copeland who themselves name sevral organisations that could do with cash and would benefit far more people living in copeland. its all about spending money for the good of the community as a whole.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2008, 10:41:27 pm
I'm not  a  racist  person  and  never  have  been  but  if the  Town  was  beset  with  people  from  an  ethnic  minority,  say  Muslims,  would  the  council  soon  find  funds  to  build  a  Mosque.

justonelilpoint

Reply #25 on: 12 Mar 2008, 11:26:26 pm
ok champ. so who are the "other sources" is the question then. "IF"its from a fund for the development of copeland in genral i still say some folk in copeland wouldnt be happy if it went to a club that only entertains an average of 2k people once a fortnight from february to september.. i work with people from copeland who themselves name sevral organisations that could do with cash and would benefit far more people living in copeland. its all about spending money for the good of the community as a whole.

Whitehaven's ground and the club its self is an integral part of the Pow beck regeneration scheme.
Its in the councils,west lakes renaisance etc's interest that the club keeps going.
Can't have a derelict ground slap bang in middle of a new project for the area .
Tenders have gone out for work to start down there on all kinds of things, Shops, Offfices etc
Ultimately the whole area will be for the community of Copeland .

I bet there are people in Allerdale who have no interest in the council building a new stadium on the cloffocks and think the sale of land could be better spent elsewhere.

P.S 23 thousand people visited the Recre last season...wonder how this compares to the beacon where millions have been spent ?

Monte2carlo

Reply #26 on: 12 Mar 2008, 11:31:35 pm

Whitehaven's ground and the club its self is an integral part of the Pow beck regeneration scheme.
Its in the councils,west lakes renaisance etc's interest that the club keeps going.
Can't have a derelict ground slap bang in middle of a new project for the area .
Tenders have gone out for work to start down there on all kinds of things, Shops, Offfices etc
Ultimately the whole area will be for the community of Copeland .

I bet there are people in Allerdale who have no interest in the council building a new stadium on the cloffocks and think the sale of land could be better spent elsewhere.

P.S 23 thousand people visited the Recre last season...wonder how this compares to the beacon where millions have been spent ?

I have viewed the tender documents for Pow Beck and nowhere on them is there a mention of anything to do with stadiums, sports villages, community sports grounds

Monte

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2008, 03:57:54 am
I can't believe the response on here from some people who have openly critcised the council over the past few years because, in their opinion, the council should have been doing something regarding the state of the ground!!!    This is the same council that MAY be the lifesaver of Haven RL and suddenly they have become the best thing since sliced bread.

What the council should be doing, IMHO, is getting Haven, Town, Allerdale and themselves together and looking for a way to make the whole of West Cumbria stronger for RL.    Yes, even though Haven have debts, I still say that unless this happens then both clubs will suffer like this for many years.    It's all very nice in theory, all this rhetoric about community clubs, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day there is not the support for either team/club to keep going at a decent level.   I believe anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly deluding themselves.     There again when both clubs go into oblivion all those people will simply walk away to another pastime.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

justonelilpoint

Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2008, 04:48:50 am
Monte, It may not be in the plans for the initial tender to start work , But you know as well as i do a new stadium is big part of the overall plans for Pow beck.
End of day some people arent going be happy whatever the council or Westlakes or whoever helps out with.Look in paper this morning and you'll see mention of ?660,000 to be spent on doing up outside the civic hall, making it into the 'civic quarter'..... ???
Some will argue that money could be better spent.

IpswichSteve

Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:31:21 am

Read again marra
It is understood that the council will NOT be putting any extra money directly into the club itself but has played a key part with partners in unlocking funding from other sources. unquote

Champ personally I like these quotes from the Jameating news article.

"WHITEHAVEN rugby league club may be saved thanks to a rescue deal which Copeland Council has helped put together.
The club was probably only weeks away from closure unless a financial lifeline could be found.

To safeguard the Pow Beck scheme which took a knock after the collapse of the Asda supermarket move;
and to secure Haven?s future jeopardised by a loss of ?100,000 in 2006 along with another substantial deficit which the 2007 accounts will show."

Question still remains, how can money related to the Pow Beck project be released early to pay
debts off?  ???  ???  If its just going to be a smoke screen for a hand out to save the club why
don't they just say so.  :D

BKM - yeah just a little shortfall.  ;)