HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

copeland council bail out haven ??

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #30 on: 13 Mar 2008, 05:23:46 pm
Whatever the Council spend money on, whether it be the Recre, Civic Hall, Beacon, Rum Story, there will always be lots of people moaning that the money could be 'better spent' elsewhere. Forgetting about Haven for a minute, our 'esteemed' Council are trying to get the regeneration of Copeland up and running, and about time too! This is going to be a mammoth task and it involves leisure, retail and housing. If you have a successful infrastructure and well used, user friendly public buildings, it has a knock on effect on the rest of the town. People start to want to spend time and money there and a feel good factor ensues!
If CBC are involved in the process of attracting a potential rescue package to the club, then good, I for one, am delighted. I do believe that they have an obligation to the club, by the way. They don't neccesarily have to use taxpayers money to make a difference.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #31 on: 13 Mar 2008, 08:07:02 pm
Totally agree Haven RL are a re big and consistent part of West Cumbria's heritage and future. There is no issue in my mind that they desereve public money / support.   

If funding was based on

(1) Public interest / enjoyment / participation

(2) Publicity the attraction generates outside the region

(3) Local Media coverage

Haven RL qualifies as a signifcant contributor

« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2008, 08:09:39 pm by Boxer »

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #32 on: 13 Mar 2008, 10:00:24 pm
surely the biggest waste of council money is paying the fat dyke<alledgedley>!?!?!?!? ;D ;D
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #33 on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:08:11 pm
Who  ?

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #34 on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:47:26 pm
surely the biggest waste of council money is paying the fat dyke<alledgedley>!?!?!?!? ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Monte2carlo

Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2008, 12:05:16 am

TUT tut

She does a good job for the beacon and rum story

Monte

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #36 on: 14 Mar 2008, 12:22:41 pm

WHITEHAVEN rugby league club has been saved thanks to a ?75,000 loan which secures Haven's immediate future.

As The Whitehaven News exclusively revealed, the club was probably only weeks away from closure unless a financial lifeline could be found.

The loan comes from the West Cumbria Development Fund, Sellafield's channel for large-scale community aid. It is being underwritten by Copeland Borough Council, the biggest single shareholder in Whitehaven 1992 Ltd, the body set up to prevent the club going out of existence 17 years ago.

The underwriting also safeguards the Pow Beck Valley regeneration plans, under which a redeveloped Recreation Ground stadium will be "one of the centrepieces of a new sports village".

British Nuclear Fuels has already pledged ?500,000 towards the Pow Beck regeneration.

Haven chairman Gordon Grace said: "It is well known that we have been in a tight financial situation. This funding will help the club progress to a sustainable future."

The aim of the rescue package is twofold: To safeguard the Pow Beck scheme, which took a knock after the collapse of the Asda supermarket move; and to secure Haven?s future jeopardised by a loss of ?100,000 in 2006 along with another substantial deficit which the 2007 accounts will show.

"What the council and others are doing is fantastic news, they are saving our club," said Haven?s finance director Barry Richardson, one of three new Board members who have been in talks to find a way out of the crisis since the resignation of four directors

"We are also delighted if the package is tied into Pow Beck because this involves redeveloping the Recreation Ground which should give us top-class facilities up to Super League standards."

Also to help ease the crisis Haven have introduced an "everybody must pay" policy starting with Sunday?s home game against Halifax.

Offline Chemical-Chris

• Academy Star
  • Till I Die
Reply #37 on: 14 Mar 2008, 04:32:56 pm
Good news  ;D

Bet your glad it didn't get to the same state as we did.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2008, 05:03:25 pm
bet your not or them jambos up the road, :P
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

IpswichSteve

Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2008, 12:26:45 pm

Question still remains, how can money related to the Pow Beck project be released early to pay
debts off?  ???  ???  If its just going to be a smoke screen for a hand out to save the club why
don't they just say so.  :D

Looks like I was right again then once the details came out.

?75k development loan.   :D  What to pay debts off. OMG how thick do
they think people are?  oh wait a mnute...... ::)

Copeland Council guaranteeing and setting it up, is that just to avoid
flak from a direct donation of ?75k.  The ethics and the legailites of it all must
be open to question.  Prop us a financially mismanaged company to sure up
the developments which in the plans doesnt even include anything for a
sporting stadium.  ::)

Still saved you from going into Admin, which would have happened if it wasnt
for this. Still leaves you skint ;) , just changes who you owe the money to, although i suppose
you know really you'll never have to pay it, just let the rate payers take the hit.

No more big signings for you boyo's, join the rest in the real world. Still salary cap
being broken is the next thing to come out to cheer you all up.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #40 on: 16 Mar 2008, 01:22:24 pm
Talking  to  someone  today  who's  well  in  with  whats  going  on  at  the  club  and  from  what  I  could  gather  it  reminded  me  of  Peter  Ridsdale  and  how  he  ran  Leeds  UTD  FC.

Lets hope  the  knew  board  are  more  carefull  with whats  coming  in  and  going  out. We  still  have  a  good  squad  but  we  need  to  ride  the  storm  and  not  let  it  effect  what happens  on  the  pitch.

Offline cumbria28

• Academy Signing
Reply #41 on: 20 Mar 2008, 10:59:32 pm
Totally agree Haven RL are a re big and consistent part of West Cumbria's heritage and future. There is no issue in my mind that they desereve public money / support.   

If funding was based on

(1) Public interest / enjoyment / participation

(2) Publicity the attraction generates outside the region

(3) Local Media coverage

Haven RL qualifies as a signifcant contributor

How can you say that WRLFC deserves public money that might for instance have been earmarked for youth or OAP facilities or indeed other 'good cause' community projects ???  My belief is that the West Cumbria Development Fund serves THE WHOLE OF WEST CUMBRIA.........please correct me if I am wrong?  I dont want my money plugging massive holes in the mis-management of WRLFC!!  West Cumbria on the whole is suffering big time compared to other areas with job cuts and deprivation and the intended wind-down of Sellafield, is WRLFC a worthy winner of money intended for regeneration or to help create local jobs????  i doubt it

Allerdale council MAY contribute to build a new stadium (but dont hold your breath)  difference is there would be a new stadium for community usage AND a leisure centre to show for it, if it ever happens of course.

Haven had a vision of the bigger picture, an existence that both they and their fans shared with massive optimism (a bit like town in the 90's)  now they have had their fingers burned  like we did is it now a good time to re-open the debate about a merger :o   

justonelilpoint

Reply #42 on: 20 Mar 2008, 11:20:45 pm
Its a loan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ::)

You can have every penny of your money back to plug other holes you'd rather it went too!

Offline cumbria28

• Academy Signing
Reply #43 on: 20 Mar 2008, 11:29:02 pm

You can have every penny of your money back to plug other holes you'd rather it went too!

borrowing money to pay off debt??  only one way thats going to end (assuming the 'arrangement' isnt forgot about)

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #44 on: 21 Mar 2008, 07:08:57 am

borrowing money to pay off debt??  only one way thats going to end (assuming the 'arrangement' isnt forgot about)

Borrowing money to pay off debt - don't understand the issue - restructuring debt to match cashflow seems like a sound business idea/ structure? Anyway at least this way the creditors get paid in full don't they