HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

town player sent packing

Guest · 44 · 4081

havenchamps2005

on: 18 Dec 2006, 12:21:20 pm
PROP John 'JT' Tuimaualuga has been booted out by Workington Town after the Samoan-born forward failed to "maintain standards expected by the club."

Fans' favourite Tuimaualuga, 29, had been returning to the fitness level that saw him hit peak form in 2005 when he won the National League Two player-of-the-year award.

But News & Star Sport understands that recent developments left the board with no choice but to send him home, ruling him out of their 2007 campaign.

A Workington Town spokesman said: "We demand that certain standards are met by our players and those standards weren't being met by JT.

?We had a meeting three months ago with John to mutually agree the standards required by the club after what was a disappointing season for him.

?And although JT was heading back to full fitness, there were areas of his behaviour that were absolutely not acceptable.

"Therefore, after a board meeting yesterday morning, we have taken the decision not to offer JT a new contract and he will be returning home this week.?

Town refused to specify what the behaviour involved. But last season, JT had been axed from Town?s squad towards the end of the campaign when his fitness failed come up to scratch.

"We, as a club, expect certain standards to be met by our players. It doesn't matter Turn to page 47

From back page

which player is in question, there are some things we will not tolerate," the club spokesman added.

Tuimaualuga had been expecting to have to return home at the beginning of last season after his working holiday visa expired but the Town committee obtained a work permit due to his work in the community. He had been a crucial figure for Town on the field and off it as he has also been a key worker in community projects, as well as playing a strong part in promoting the Rugby League's anti-racism message, particularly in local schools.

havenchamps2005

Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2006, 12:22:58 pm
he might have been sent home but i for one would love to see jt in haven colours especially having heard he has got back to the fitness levels of 2005
jt is a quality player and i hope our board atleast have a chat with him

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:06:47 pm
 would have him wid us hes a very good player the only player at town i would have hes a very food forward so come on get him sighned quick

but hes a quota player aint he if so we have bull

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:39:47 pm
no it says he is samoan born
haven till i die

• Haven Legend
Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:46:20 pm
cheers marra lets get him sighned

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:35:45 pm
Why would we want a player who has obviously  got problems. If he cant toe the  line at Town, why should it be any different at Whitehaven.

Tony W

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:05:23 pm
who thinks haven should make a move for jt from town

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:14:29 pm
Why would we want a player who has obviously  got problems. If he cant toe the  line at Town, why should it be any different at Whitehaven.

Tony W
town signed craig walsh so what diffrence?

justonelilpoint

Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:30:56 pm
I certainly do, don't know JT's circumstances at workington, But deserves another chance in a different enviroment,Just as Craig has done going to Town.Different faces around them ,players as well as coaches, may just get them both back on track. surely worth a try ? ???

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:34:02 pm

Tony W
town signed craig walsh so what diffrence?

And why should we inherit JT's problems - he could be a good addition but....  too much baggage - we need reliability - we did not have that with Walsh and he was offloaded - can we really afford to have another player with obvious problems.

Reliability is what we have with the squad we have now  and we should stick with that - the right signing will come along - we need to be patient and not clutch at straws.  All good things come to those who wait! 
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

• Haven Legend
Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:45:50 pm
think we have waited long enough marras

havenchamps2005

Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2006, 07:39:21 pm
i for one would love jt he is a quality player look at what he did to us in 2005 at derwent park he took us to bits and having seen him the other day he looked as fit as fiddle
as for being quota he isnt last season towns quota players were andrew beattie and scott nixon
jt was injured alot last season and if we signed him would go very well in this league

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2006, 07:48:57 pm
In 2005 JT was voted the Player of the Year in NL2.   His work in local schools brought quite a lot of praise and he even went down to Salford to take his community work into schools there.    The local kids love him and he taught them all a version of the haka.

At the end of that season he went back home for a break and came back 2 stone overweight and totally unfit.    That was at the start of the season but he never got any fitter during the season and only played for 7 - 8 minutes a game.   If Town had got rid of him then I don't think anyone would have lost any sleep but they didn't and our coach kept putting him on the bench for his 7 - 8 minute stints.

He has been fitness training under John Nicholson from Seaton since early November and all the reports were that he was back to his 2005 shape and size and looking a lot fitter so this is a bigger blow to the Town fans than it would have last season.    I feared something was wrong because he had not been re-signed by Town for the coming season and now we know why???

JT is not a quota player.   If you remember he should have gone back to NZ with Sione last May/June but Town got special dispensation for him to stay because of his community work and the Government extended his working holiday visa.   I don't know if that will now be cancelled because of this instance of behaviour.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2006, 08:17:14 pm
we could do a lot worse why not sign him on a trial

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2006, 04:34:35 pm
we need a second row he is availble and hes a very good one why don't we get him i think with our board and players and fans he would love it here