HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Franchise teams are

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:15:21 pm
Well I don't think the changes end with SL. It seems that there is an announcement tomorrow regarding the National Leagues. Rumour has it that we could be joined by an Irish, Scottish and French side  :o

Offline Rob_Haven

• First Team Regular
Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:58:46 pm
had to laugh when richard lewis said one of the criteria for getting in was onfield performance, after he had said this gives a chance for any team to get in regardless of their league position! PRICELESS!
ANCIENT AND LOYAL

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:05:51 pm
i said about Scotland a bit ago nowt suprises me now.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:10:38 pm
I can kind of understand a Scottish side as well, and a French side as RL is developing down there. As for an Irish side though?! Have they even heard of rugby league in Munster?! ::)

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:20:40 pm
Who will fund the travelling expenses if a Scottish/Irish/French side is admitted into the league?

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:22:11 pm
This is ridiculous.  :witch:

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:33:57 pm
if a scottish side joins the NL i suppose it depends on where they would be based as to what kind of travel costs would be incured, at the end of the day its no longer to say glasgow or edinburgh than to say  doncaster or sheffield

granted frogville or mickland would be a different ball game!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline widnesboy

• Academy Signing
Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:47:50 pm
it is you know even sky thought we was in cause they send a reporter down to widnes and got fans reaction which you know wasnt good enough

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:50:00 pm
The fact is that, the whole idea of the franchise system is/was to expand the game to new area's and make RL a bigger game attracting more cash better TV coverage etc. Which may have a knock on effect further down the tree at NL1 ?

Given that, I think it is a good thing that they haven't just went for the traditional club with the most history and past successes. It is a brave decision and one that they may live to regret but at least they have stuck to the principal that they outlined 2/3 years ago. If its a success, it may well be that if we can get our act together we may benefit in the next round of bids on the basis of geographical location ........

Offline Billythekid

• Academy Signing
Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:50:28 pm
Who's up for a break away league?  Screw the RFL , we can form Super Duper League and take the Challenge Cup with us!

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2008, 03:28:11 pm
Its easy to say that as an outsider looking in Martin. However if we were Widnes fans we would be understandably distraught by today's announcement. The facts are that based upon the 10 criteria set out by the RFL, Widnes had more than Celtic. If the RFL were to solely work off the criteria then Widnes would be in. If not then it was pointless having the criteria in the first place! Either way the whole thing stinks. I can't believe I'm actually sticking up for Widnes but the RFL clearly haven't been fair and unbiased in their judgement of the applications.

As regards to a breakaway league, there are a few theories been branded about on the Widnes forum at the moment. However without a huge backer and a big TV deal, I don't think it would become a reality.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2008, 04:00:28 pm by Flannerz »

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #26 on: 22 Jul 2008, 03:58:49 pm
The whole thing stinks for definite  :witch:

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #27 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:04:35 pm
Its easy to say that as an outsider looking in Martin. However if we were Widnes fans we would be understandably distraught by today's announcement. The facts are that based upon the 10 criteria set out by the RFL, Widnes had more than Celtic. If the RFL were to solely work off the criteria then Widnes would be in. If not then it was pointless having the criteria in the first place! Either way the whole thing stinks. I can't believe I'm actually sticking up for Widnes but the RFL clearly haven't been fair and unbiased in their judgement of the applications.

As regards to a breakaway league, there are a few theories been branded about on the Widnes forum at the moment. However without a huge backer and a big TV deal, I don't think it would become a reality.

i can show nor hold no sympathy with any club who hasnt been given a franchise, remember that widnes were looking to get into the "closed shop", and good luck to them if they had succeeded, but once there they wouldnt have given a toss about haven or any other clubs outside SL, just watch them beg for sympathy and support to battle the rfl's decision
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #28 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:20:51 pm

i can show nor hold no sympathy with any club who hasnt been given a franchise, remember that widnes were looking to get into the "closed shop", and good luck to them if they had succeeded, but once there they wouldnt have given a toss about haven or any other clubs outside SL, just watch them beg for sympathy and support to battle the rfl's decision

True, but surely if were in their shoes then we'd be doing exactly the same as them? The fact that it is Widnes bares no relevance. I couldn't care if it was Moon RLFC who were trying to get a franchise, the fact is the RFL laid out strict criteria and didn't solely base their decision on it like they said they would.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:59:32 pm
setanta wanted to buy the national leagues converage if the break away league could get them to back it we could go it alone