HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Franchise teams are

Offline home and away

• Academy Signing
Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:59:56 pm
The RFL laid down criteria about stadiums etc. The fact is that in 2006 and 2007 they said a team could not make a committment to do a ground up to get promoted to SL the ground had to reach SL standard not in coming years but then. We were turned down in 2006 for that reason. By allowing Celtic in they could not kick Cas or Wakey out on the critieria of the ground. They have allowed Celtic to make promises about what they will do instead of doing them before they applied. OK if they haven't done it in three years they are out but in that three years what effect will that have on Widnes, Leigh, Halifax etc? It is not about Widnes it is about the RFL having an open and transparent procedure so that it is ovbvious to all why clubs are chosen and that they meet every part of that criteria and more when the decision is made not promising to meet it in years to come.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:05:06 pm
Setanta would be the obvious choice for a breakaway TV deal. I'm sure they would love to take sky on by screening a different competition. However the quality of such a new competition would have to be high to make it worthwhile

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:15:17 pm
I would support such a move but I personally think the only way to really make it work is to reclaim the Challenge Cup. SL do not own the Challenge Cup and I think if a breakaway move were to happen, taking this with it would certainly make things interesting.

Its all just a theory though and I doubt it will ever get any further. However what isn;t a theory is the RFL's new announcement regarding the National League so it certainly will be interesting to see what that will entail.

Ray French seems to think that Toulouse will be admitted into NL1 with Edinburgh and Munster in NL2  ::)

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:18:49 pm
I think its about time we ditched the NRC. Its simply a non event and is only in to prolong the season. SKY don't even feature the Group matches. If the league has 10 sides then we each play the other 3 times. You could have 13 home games and 13 away + 1 game similar to the millenium magic.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:26:15 pm
I think its about time we ditched the NRC. Its simply a non event and is only in to prolong the season. SKY don't even feature the Group matches. If the league has 10 sides then we each play the other 3 times. You could have 13 home games and 13 away + 1 game similar to the millenium magic.

Quite agree with this. The NRC, especially the group stages, is just a warm up competition for the league proper. However now there is no promotion to play for at the end of the league, I would prefer to see an extended National League system put into place like the one you outline

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:34:05 pm
I can kind of understand a Scottish side as well, and a French side as RL is developing down there. As for an Irish side though?! Have they even heard of rugby league in Munster?! ::)

Problem with introducing these teams is what about the travelling costs. If Celtic cost us 3500 then what would travelling to Tolouse cost us.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #36 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:40:14 pm
I can kind of understand a Scottish side as well, and a French side as RL is developing down there. As for an Irish side though?! Have they even heard of rugby league in Munster?! ::)

Problem with introducing these teams is what about the travelling costs. If Celtic cost us 3500 then what would travelling to Tolouse cost us.

Exactly, unless the RFL is going to contribute to clubs travelling expenses?

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:42:04 pm
Cheap flights to France........................yep I'm up for that :D :D

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #38 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:44:28 pm
Just had a watch of the interview with Richard Lewis on SSN. Since when did market research get you an extra franchise point.  :mess: :mess: I think if Tolouse do come to our fair league it'll be class going to france!  ;D
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #39 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:45:57 pm
Just had a watch of the interview with Richard Lewis on SSN. Since when did market research get you an extra franchise point.  :mess: :mess: I think if Tolouse do come to our fair league it'll be class going to france!  ;D

Yeah I agree. As long as they don't come in at the expense of one of the 'heartland' clubs of course. I mean surely the RFL wouldn't dream of doing that?! ;)

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #40 on: 22 Jul 2008, 06:09:15 pm
Any club joining the National Leagues should be forced to start in NL2 and fight for promotion just like any other club.

If Toulouse / Jocks/ Paddys get into the National Leagues now its almost a foregone conclusion that should they still be in existence that the RL will bend over backwards to help them into SL almost certainly at the expense of the Leigh's Halifax's and Whitehaven's of the world.

Not that we'll be in any position to apply anyway, Theres no way we'll be ready for SL in three years on or of the field if ever!

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #41 on: 22 Jul 2008, 06:11:09 pm
Any club joining the National Leagues should be forced to start in NL2 and fight for promotion just like any other club.

I agree, but I think the RFL want to fast track Toulouse as in my eyes, it's only a matter of time until they are granted a licence

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #42 on: 22 Jul 2008, 06:54:00 pm
I've heard it all now. Gordon Burns (Presenter of North West Tonight) was interviewing Richard Lewis and giving him a right roasting. It was mainly referring to Leigh, but I think it applies to both Leigh and Widnes. I quote:

Gordon Burns: You say that the clubs are marked according to set criteria such as ground, facilities, on field performances, finances and junior development. Are you saying that Celtic Crusaders were stronger in more of these areas than the Leigh Centurions?

Richard Lewis: Yes I am

Sky had it down that Celtic has 4 points and therefore a grade C licence whereas both Leigh and Widnes achieved 5 points and a grade B licence. I would be very interested to see how many points the RFL gave those 3 applicant

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #43 on: 22 Jul 2008, 07:18:10 pm
i think allowing celtic into sl is a utter disgrace and takes the wee out of other national league
clubs that applied.as per usual the rfl just make the rules up as they go along.we should all pull
away from sl and form a competition of our own taking our challenge cup with us.cant wait to see
celtic battered every week what fun thats going to be for their supporters. :witch:
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #44 on: 22 Jul 2008, 07:34:07 pm
Well if we don't win the Grand Final then fingers crossed Halifax win it.