HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Did we get it right then????????

recre · 18 · 1247

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
on: 29 Aug 2008, 07:00:53 pm
On this board not long ago (12 months or so) there was a major discussion about not renewing last season's coaches contract. Have the then board been proved correct with the decision they made. I was in agreement at the time and nothng he has done since then has made me alter that view point. Granted other factors meant the decision was one that had to be made for the good of the club (i.e. a good full time wage taken away). There was plenty of hot air thrown about by a lot of people, I was just wondering if anyone had changed their point of view considering what has happened both to the club and to the ex coach since that time. To be honest I still feel that if he had been given another contract we would definitely not made the playoffs and furthermore I think that we would have been very very close to a relegation battle. The forwards have dug in and led the way for the team to win, sometimes not pretty but you've got to play the hand you have, although being a forward himself I think ours were stifled under the old regime and we are now benefitting from them being told to play to OUR strengths. I would say that after early season problems we have once again proved that we are a decent side if we play to what we have. I dont think it needed a rocket scientist to work it out but credit to Ged for coming in and turning things round.

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2008, 04:53:47 pm
I have always said that the removal of DR was a good one and so it has turned out to be, just look up the road a little for guidance on that one.

On the appointment of Crarey I was undecided, but was prepared to give the bloke a chance. As it turned out I think he found himself under great pressure very early on and think that the decisions taken were the correct ones for all concerned.

As for the appointment of Ged, again I was undecided but prepared to give him a go. After what we have seen I think that Ged has done a great job in the circumstances, however there is still work to be done. At this moment I think we have a good coach in place to move the club in the direction that we want it to. All we need now is some leadership and focus from our BOD.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2008, 10:42:50 pm
Errrr what have the new BOD done which is so wrong / unfocused in your eyes ?  As for leadership in the BOD ..... they have supported Ged in pretty much everything he has wanted as well as appointing him. They have got Seedsy on board, backed the signing of a few good recruits, got the ground / miners issues sorted, got sufficient financial backing in to keep us going and generally saved the club from financial liquidation to name just a few achievements.

Not bad from a hell of a hard beginning I would say.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2008, 10:54:49 pm
I never was anti Rotherham like a few on here who clearly were.

Can't see how you can claim that we defo would not have made the play off if he had stayed ... he got us there when he was in charge.

You can't measure his ongoning ability by what's happened at Town this year, because he's stuck at the moment with what are pretty much a team of no hopers (bar just two or three) who can;t hold a game plan together for love nor money.

Certainly dumping him for Creary was clearly turning into a disaster. Creary made his own position almost impossible by blowing his mouth off about how he was going to throw the balll around in fast attacking open rugby ...... that intent certainly was not a way of playing to our strengths, as early season results showed. The palyers couldn't perform nor fathom out how to hold his game plans together.

We are where we are today through :-

some good luck (mainly Ged making a go of it )
some good organisation ....... coaches
some good signings ...... Tani, Gorsky and our two new super props this season
some good management decisions at BOD level
some new blood breaking through (The Kid)
some excellent team performances

The main answer to the question posed by this thread will become clearer next year ...... if we can improve a little on this year, or even maintain our present level (5th), then  I for one will feel happy with how things panned out, because with a little less luck, we could nave been in deep deep doo dah this year.

« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2008, 11:08:07 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2008, 11:00:14 pm
I have always said that the removal of DR was a good one and so it has turned out to be, just look up the road a little for guidance on that one.

On the appointment of Crarey I was undecided, but was prepared to give the bloke a chance. As it turned out I think he found himself under great pressure very early on and think that the decisions taken were the correct ones for all concerned.

As for the appointment of Ged, again I was undecided but prepared to give him a go. After what we have seen I think that Ged has done a great job in the circumstances, however there is still work to be done. At this moment I think we have a good coach in place to move the club in the direction that we want it to. All we need now is some leadership and focus from our BOD.

I think you are giving a bit of a one sided view there Chorley.

Comparing Dr's efforts at Town against those at Haven are a bit unfair because he hasn't had the same quality of team to operate with.   We all know that at Town and that we need some new blood to get the show back on the road.  

On the other hand Ged had a brilliant first season and a half whilst he had 3 top class players - Limmer, Sione and JT - who carried Town on their own more or less.   As soon as we lost them Ged was no better than other coaches with the players at his disposal.   Yes, he has done well with many of the team that DR left behind, the question is though can he maintain it??????
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2008, 12:05:22 am

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2008, 08:31:06 pm
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2008, 08:09:58 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2008, 08:52:48 pm
Yep very interesting post. The 500K in the bank made me sit up.

I agree though we get to find out very little. Its as if the BOD are frightened to speak out on our current finances. :(

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2008, 09:25:05 pm
Hang on CBlue, the present financial position is hardly the fault of the present BOD, other than the fact they have been able to secure sufficient backing to keep the club going and aquire a few decent players.

Given the financial position they inherited, any level of stability that they have been able to attain has to be applauded.

There is no magic wand available to generate money at this club, and unless one of the Sellafield PBO group come up with some sponsorship, I doubt that we will see the financial position change much atall in the future.

However if your so financially smart tell us all how you would improve the balance sheet, because anyone with that silver bullet would be welcomed with open arms onto the BOD.

Everything that has happened this year after the new BOD took over has to be appreciated (and by the way there are only two of them).

When I ask are all of the other smart cats and money people going to step out of the shadows and help the current two directors move the club foreward ???

Sorry mate, there might be big shocks awaiting round the corner for us, (you seem to know something no-one else is owning up to), but I have no axe to grind with the two directors who are trying their very best at the moment to secure RL in Whitehaven for us..... I wish them well .... but unless some new money comes into the club and quick, we are only going one way..... downwards ..... I say that because more and more of our rivals are finding sugar daddies, and without one of our own, no ammount of effort by the BOD, coaches and players can maintain or improve what we achieved this season.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2008, 11:20:17 pm
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

• First Team Regular
Reply #10 on: 01 Sep 2008, 08:47:38 am
Hang on CBlue, the present financial position is hardly the fault of the present BOD, other than the fact they have been able to secure sufficient backing to keep the club going and aquire a few decent players.

Given the financial position they inherited, any level of stability that they have been able to attain has to be applauded.
 There is no magic wand available to generate money at this club, and unless one of the Sellafield PBO group come up with some sponsorship, I doubt that we will see the financial position change much atall in the future.

However if your so financially smart tell us all how you would improve the balance sheet, because anyone with that silver bullet would be welcomed with open arms onto the BOD.

Everything that has happened this year after the new BOD took over has to be appreciated (and by the way there are only two of them).

When I ask are all of the other smart cats and money people going to step out of the shadows and help the current two directors move the club foreward ???

Sorry mate, there might be big shocks awaiting round the corner for us, (you seem to know something no-one else is owning up to), but I have no axe to grind with the two directors who are trying their very best at the moment to secure RL in Whitehaven for us..... I wish them well .... but unless some new money comes into the club and quick, we are only going one way..... downwards ..... I say that because more and more of our rivals are finding sugar daddies, and without one of our own, no ammount of effort by the BOD, coaches and players can maintain or improve what we achieved this season.

The fact is that knowone truely knows the financial state of the club at the start of the year, we just were told it was bad. As I said previously the figures released to the press were all over the place. I'm not 'Financially Smart' I just have a brain and realise that we are not being told the whole truth here. According to Grace et al we were a day away from going bust according to one of their statements, yet we were never told why this was the case, no hard facts or figures to speak of. Until someone comes out and tells the whole truth there will always be an uneasy atmosphere surrounding the running of the club. Most of what we are talking about here is based around very little fact!

justonelilpoint

Reply #11 on: 01 Sep 2008, 09:34:27 am
The promised general meeting would have been a start ! ::)

Offline arfwayliner

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 01 Sep 2008, 06:35:18 pm

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 01 Sep 2008, 06:54:43 pm
Here's hoping Sellafield's new owners  also put some cash into the club. After all they have Billions at their disposal ;)

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 01 Sep 2008, 08:47:56 pm
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2008, 10:11:06 pm by cbandg01 »