HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

NRC Groups

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
on: 05 Oct 2008, 03:40:18 pm
Anyone know who'll be in our group next season. Obviously Worky, but presume they'll be another NL1 & NL2 team.

I reckon it could be Haven, Barrow, Worky & Swinton.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2008, 09:12:35 pm
Anyone know who'll be in our group next season. Obviously Worky, but presume they'll be another NL1 & NL2 team.

hope not!! crikey only 2 guaranteed wins there, town home and away!! barrow and swinton are our bogey teams

i have always said it should be based on previous seasons league positions,so following last year it would give 4 groups of 4 plus one of 5 like this

Group 1             
Halifax
Featherstone
Oldham
Workington

Group 2
Leigh
Batley
Doncaster
Blackpool

Group 3
Whitehaven
Dewsbury
Keighley
Swinton

Group 4
Widnes
Gateshead
York
London

Group 5
Sheffield
Barrow
Rochdale
Hunslet

With newcomers Tolouse being drawn into one of the 5 groups

not sure what others think, but in the past the group stages havent helped our league campagns get off to a good start, when we used to have to play town barrow and gateshead all poor NL 2 teams then and gave us no challenge.
At least if it was set in groups using league positions it could even it out a bit,............ or have i too much time on my hands whilst i'm getting over my tonsilectomy? lol
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline Havener

• Global Moderator
  • Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 05 Oct 2008, 10:16:45 pm

hope not!! crikey only 2 guaranteed wins there, town home and away!! barrow and swinton are our bogey teams

i have always said it should be based on previous seasons league positions,so following last year it would give 4 groups of 4 plus one of 5 like this

Group 1             
Halifax
Featherstone
Oldham
Workington

Group 2
Leigh
Batley
Doncaster
Blackpool

Group 3
Whitehaven
Dewsbury
Keighley
Swinton

Group 4
Widnes
Gateshead
York
London

Group 5
Sheffield
Barrow
Rochdale
Hunslet

not sure what others think, but in the past the group stages havent helped our league campagns get off to a good start, when we used to have to play town barrow and gateshead all poor NL 2 teams then and gave us no challenge.
At least if it was set in groups using league positions it could even it out a bit,............ or have i too much time on my hands whilst i'm getting over my tonsilectomy? lol

how are barrow our bogey side??

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2008, 11:27:10 pm
I thought Toulouse weren't entering the NRC?

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2008, 10:26:10 am

i did not know that flannerz, in tha case it should be even easier!!  five groups of four or four groups of five, forget using bramley or any other NL3 teams, i'm sorry but they bring nothing to the competition
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2008, 10:27:46 am

Group 1             
Halifax
Featherstone
Oldham
Workington

Group 2
Leigh
Batley
Doncaster
Blackpool

Group 3
Whitehaven
Dewsbury
Keighley
Swinton

Group 4
Widnes
Gateshead
York
London

Group 5
Sheffield
Barrow
Rochdale
Hunslet

how are barrow our bogey side??

maybe bogey team not the right way of saying it about barrow, but we do always struggle or have hard games against them!

the reverand, big mac

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 06 Oct 2008, 12:25:12 pm
We need Town and Barrow in our group in the hope it brings in decent gates. The 4th team I would have is someone like Blackpool just for the day out and victories over Town and Blackpool should see us qualifying irrespective of what we do against Barrow.

As for Toulouse the sensible option would be to bring them in after this mickey mouse group stage has finished and the proper season starts

Offline jonah1

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2008, 01:13:26 pm
I think the reason why we seem to have hard games against Barrow is because they actually put up a fight against us. I hate it when we play town the games finished after 20 minutes. Atleast Barrow have got a backbone.

Offline Damson red

• Academy Signing
Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2008, 02:52:06 pm
They are not included in the NRC :) :)

Offline Brew

• Academy Signing
Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2008, 02:05:42 pm
The Format of the NRC is changing next season.

2 Home Games, 2 Away Games, One vs a NL1 Team One Vs a NL2 Team.

No home and away either, so Whitehaven could theoretically play-

Barrow (A)
Keighley (H)
Leigh (H)
Workington (A)

All the results from all the games go into a League Table with the top 8 going into a knock out format to reach the final.

So obviously, It'll be imperative to notch up as higher scores as possible in the first few games.

Strange format I know, but thats the RFL for you. It apparently uses a couple less games which free's up the extra weekends required for the Extra NL1 Fixtures with Toulouse.

Offline fluffy

• First Team Backup
  • Haven in the pink :P ^^
Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2008, 12:05:38 pm
i think it should be haven, town, barrow and gateshead in a group as they are all relativly 'local'
We've got this place rocking now girls !!! ;)

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2008, 02:49:49 pm
i think it should be haven, town, barrow and gateshead in a group as they are all relativly 'local'

If brew is correct then it can't be those four teams together as that would be 3 NL1 teams and only 1 NL2 team.    Change Gateshead for Blackpool and you could be nearer the mark.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2008, 03:26:52 pm
scrap the whole group systme for me. make it a straight knock out comp with games drawn from the hat, too mant injuries can happen before the main leauge buisness gets underway. teams knocked out can then arrange some friendlies, if they require them. games are over in 20 mins against town jonah1 ?  i missed the nrc game at the rec last season but wernt town winning at half time? correct me if i.m wrong friend. 

Offline haven boys

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 08 Feb 2009, 12:07:47 am
don't we play all 3 teams twice because the fixture list only says we play them once

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2009, 12:11:24 am
We actually play FOUR teams and they are only on the list once because we only play them once.

:shake: