HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

DISGUSTING!

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
on: 09 Jan 2007, 05:16:08 pm

What is going on down at the Recreation Ground? People were quick to jump to Rotherham and the boards defense when Mark Leafa signed for Castleford after we brought him over last season. How quick will they be to stand up when Whitehaven unveil our one new signing for the 07 campaign. Matt Tunstall, currently on Workington Towns roster. What is Rotherham playing at? For a club supposedly pushing for promotion to Super League it is just not good enough. He came to Whitehaven on the crest of a wave, second in command at the all conquering St Helens. He came to Whitehaven and inherited a squad from McCormack fresh from a second GF defeat and a league championship. I believe this is the only reason we did reasonably well last season. We are a rapidly aging side with the backbone of our side in the twilight of their careers. What is his answer ? One signing of absolute dross. The man came with supposed 'Super League' connections yet he has yet to show anything to prove this whatsoever. The man simply cannot attract players of the caliber we need to the club which in our case could be extremely damaging. Is he building a side for NL2 or promotion? Our supposed rivals are signing players every day yet not a peep from the Recreation Ground or Rotherham until the news comes out that we tryed and failed to sign a player from the lower reaches of NL1 . The day after it emerges that we've signed a player of an even lower standard. How do you think this lack of ambition looks to our better players such as Duffy, Smith and Maden? I wouldn't be surprised if they are off like a shot when they realize the lack of ambition from the board and club and that Rotherham is out of his depth. Don't expect Rotherham to stick around when the team fails either, he'll be off down the M6 like a rat up a drainpipe.

We are definitely a club on a downward spiral. After the hazy days of Grand Finals and league championships we could be witnessing the end of our SL dream.......................and possibly the end of the club. Wether Rotherham and the board are too naive or just too damn lazy to do anything about it we'll never know. But i do know this, if the teams around us continue to strengthen and we continue to rest on our laurels we will without any shadow of a doubt struggle in this division and possibly fall into NL2 oblivion.

The only thing Rotherham will sign is our death warrant.

DISGUSTING! >:(

Offline rdc

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2007, 05:19:12 pm
shut up

Offline rdc

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2007, 05:27:04 pm
Is it worth my time?

Offline African exile

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 09 Jan 2007, 05:43:37 pm
Why not just go and watch someone else Reg you have obviously decided we are not gonna do nowt this year so why not flee now i am sure that there are some domination chat rooms where your negative approach would be appreciated (I hope i spelt that correctly)
If it's a girl they're naming her Sigourney after an actress, if it's a boy the 're naming him Rodney after Dave

Offline recregoer

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 09 Jan 2007, 06:07:48 pm
I'm not Rotheram's biggest fan but to be fair to him you go on about him not being able to attract good players yet you are mentioning Duffy, Maden and Smith as our star players and you mention Leafa as well then also mention we only did well last season because McCormack built a good side. Yet none of the above 4 played a game for us when McCormack was coach a bit of a contradiction saying that Rotheram can't attract good players to the club and then name signings made after McCormack left as our star players.

Offline Havenhack

• Academy Signing
Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2007, 06:17:02 pm
Reg, good god, what the hell are you on?
24 hours ago on this very board I said that I thought you were harmless -- just having a bit of a laugh, that wasn't intended as a challenge!
What the hell gives you the right to launch such a savage attack on a bloke who is doing a sound job. And before you start, my tongue isn't anywhere near anyones anus!
Firstly, Dave Rotheram has shown a great deal of commitment to the area -- he has even bought a house around here -- and secondly he didn't inherit Steve Mc's squad.
What he got was that squad, which in all honesty had over achieved by finishing top,  minus Summers, Tandy, Penny, Nanyn and Brett. Five key players. Haven recruited well last year, to cover those losses, and then lost Lester, Fats, Spencer and Wilkes very early in the season one way or another, ie, they replaced what was lost and then lost out again.
The danger of having a lot of traveling lads or Aussies/Kiwis, is that there is a great risk that they'll jump ship as soon as someone offers more money. It has been well documented that our three Kiwi marras are a rare breed and that the kind of loyalty they have shown is unlikely to be replicated again, anywhere.
What you end up with is the likes of Wilkes, Leafa, Tandy etc looking after themselves. Why bother signing players like that now if they are going to walk out halfway through or after one season?
What the club have done is recruit good, young, local talent, McAvoy and Shaw among others. Players who are proud to wear the chocolate, blue and gold and who are very likely to stay at the club for the forseeable future.
They have then added the likes of Aaron Smith, who I think will be a stand out player this term, to compliment that, but surely the main objective of the academy and player pathway programmes is to end up with a team of local players that are sustainable for the long term.
If Adam Shaw had played three games for Bradford 'A and then signed for us muppets like you would be excited about him Reg, but it wouldn't make him any better a player.
If the so called big clubs in NL1 want to spend a kings ransom on mercenary journeymen then let them, only one of them can go up, and where is that going to leave the others who have spent a fortune and ultimately failed?
Under the current leadership Haven will be there or thereabouts this year, next year, and for many years to come.
And half wits like you Reg will probably still be moaning.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 09 Jan 2007, 06:21:48 pm
Well you are entitled to your opinion Reg but I have to disagree with what you are saying. I can't quite understand how you say Rotheram is the problem? It's not in black and white that we have signed Matt Tunstall is it? How do you know that Rotheram isn't or hasn't been looking at Super League quality players?

There could be many reasons why we aren't able to sign players. For starters, what the players could be asking in wages is just too unrealistic for the club. With clubs around us going full time, it generally means the wages in the division will increase. How do you expect to tempt a full-time rugby player into part-time? It's going to be difficult unless he is prepared to have another job. Also the player themselves might not want to be at a club at the back-end of the lake district and would prefer to be somewhere more centralised.

If the club are unsuccessful with a signing, they aren't really likely to go running to the press to make it public. It's not good for the fans to hear and it just doesn't look good in general. I'm not saying we have had unsuccessful bids though before anyone asks!

What we have, that other clubs don't, is quality youngsters. Rudd, Eilbeck, Calvert, McAvoy to name a few. These guys aren't going anywhere in a hurry and we should be pleased that we possess such talent.

I think it's way too early to start criticising Rotheram and calling for is head already. I think any Haven fan will have been satisfied with last seasons outcome, let's be positive and get behind the team this season. If we have a total shocker and the season is a disaster, then Reg you are more than welcome to come out and say 'I told you so'. I prefer to be positive, get behind the club both on and off the field and see how the season unfolds. Let's not be so pessimistic, the season hasn't even started yet!

Keep the faith :)

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #7 on: 09 Jan 2007, 06:36:34 pm
24 hours ago on this very board I said that I thought you were harmless -- just having a bit of a laugh, that wasn't intended as a challenge!
What the hell gives you the right to launch such a savage attack on a bloke who is doing a sound job. And before you start, my tongue isn't anywhere near anyones anus!
Firstly, Dave Rotheram has shown a great deal of commitment to the area -- he has even bought a house around here -- and secondly he didn't inherit Steve Mc's squad.
What he got was that squad, which in all honesty had over achieved by finishing top,  minus Summers, Tandy, Penny, Nanyn and Brett. Five key players. Haven recruited well last year, to cover those losses, and then lost Lester, Fats, Spencer and Wilkes very early in the season one way or another, ie, they replaced what was lost and then lost out again.
The danger of having a lot of traveling lads or Aussies/Kiwis, is that there is a great risk that they'll jump ship as soon as someone offers more money. It has been well documented that our three Kiwi marras are a rare breed and that the kind of loyalty they have shown is unlikely to be replicated again, anywhere.
What you end up with is the likes of Wilkes, Leafa, Tandy etc looking after themselves. Why bother signing players like that now if they are going to walk out halfway through or after one season?
What the club have done is recruit good, young, local talent, McAvoy and Shaw among others. Players who are proud to wear the chocolate, blue and gold and who are very likely to stay at the club for the forseeable future.
They have then added the likes of Aaron Smith, who I think will be a stand out player this term, to compliment that, but surely the main objective of the academy and player pathway programmes is to end up with a team of local players that are sustainable for the long term.
If Adam Shaw had played three games for Bradford 'A and then signed for us muppets like you would be excited about him Reg, but it wouldn't make him any better a player.
If the so called big clubs in NL1 want to spend a kings ransom on mercenary journeymen then let them, only one of them can go up, and where is that going to leave the others who have spent a fortune and ultimately failed?
Under the current leadership Haven will be there or thereabouts this year, next year, and for many years to come.
Hear, Hear!

The challenge, I think, for Reg would be to go to the Launch evening, where there has been in the past a question and answer session with the Team, BOD, Coach and other Haven Staff and ask his questions outright.

An option for you Reg?

Listen to the answers given on a one on one basis.  A member of the Board who regularly posts on here has answered your questions and given the reasons why as to why yet we have not made any signings, but yet you fail to be happy with those answers. 

Without going over the same old ground again and again, the club are in the best financial position they have been in many a year and they refuse to break the bank on, as Havenhack correctly describes, "mercenary journeymen" and I think you will find that the majority of us agree on that.

I am all for freedom of speech when the time and place dictates, but jesus!  Reg, your negativity is astounding. I have yet to see you be positive about anything, focusing on the negative all the time.
Lighten up Reg, put your faith in the BOD, Coach and very capable squad we have (I am sure any of the current squad reading this will be delighted at your observations - not!)

What would you rather have, a committed squad, Coach, BOD and backroom staff that HAVE moved us on ten fold in the last 4 years - or a bunch of flybynight journeymen, overpaid, uncommitted and uninterested in anything other than a fat wage packet each week?

I know what does it for me!  EVERYTIME

MrsHW ???

๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2007, 07:35:33 pm

A muppet? A halfwit. If you had half the wit of a muppet Karl then yourself and Mr Irving would not be reduced to trawling internet message boards in the faint hope of a whiff of a story on which to report on. I thought the whole aim of Journalism was to probe and ask questions in order to get answers and report these to the public, not to regurgitate comments made this forum. The comment was made about not employing 'mercenary journeymen'. What would everyone propose the club would do in the event of promotion to the elite division. Our current squad is a million miles away from what would be required to consolidate in the top competition. The only answer would be to sign a mixture of players from outside the county and in many cases these isles. Yes players will always leave for a better wage packet but as with any proffesion are they wrong to do so. If Rupert Murdock rang the Whitehaven News tommorow and offered you the sub-editors job on one of his rags (which of course would include a fat wage packet ) would you turn him down in through loyalty to the Whitehaven News?

On to Rotherhams signings Trindall, Wright, Leafa, Smith, Duffy and Jackson (the others im led to believe were signed by Mr McCormack) These signings made to replace Tandy, Wilkes, Summers, Nanyn, McDermott, and Penny. Could anyone with hand on heart honestly say that the players hes brought in are better and have had more impact than the players they were signed to replace?

havenchamps2005

Reply #9 on: 09 Jan 2007, 08:17:33 pm
actually reg wilkes was also signed by dr as mccormack tried to sign him before dave did

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 09 Jan 2007, 11:08:58 pm
Well  there's  one  thing  REG  can  be  controversial  and  whilst  I  don't  agree  with  him  on  certain  things  he  does  provide  some  talking  points.

Lets  face  it,  If  Matt  Tunstall  is  our  only  pre  season  signing  then  its a  massive  dissapointment.  What  can  an  average  player  from  NL2  with  knee  problems  ever  do  to  improve  our  team.  You  only  have  to  look  at  Cas  and  Widnes.  OK  they've  lost  players  but  have  brought  in  lads  with  SL  experience.

Next  year  the  SL  door  will  shut  and  maybe  sides  are  banking  on  being  there.  They  might  get  into  debt  but  thats  the  chance  you  take.  If  some  rich  sugar  daddy  comes  along  then  fine  but  if not  do  you  stick  with  what  you  have  hoping  things  will  be  OK  or  do you  push  the  boat out  a  bit  and  take  the  gamble.

Its  a  toughy  but  I  see  Reg's  point.  We've  come  close  to  SL  for  the  last  3  years.  Can  anyone  forget  the  Leigh  game ???  Less  that  3  minutes  from  the  promised  land !!!  Will we  ever  get  that  close  again ??

IMO  get  a  big  2nd  row +  prop  and  a  pacey  young  stand  off..  It  might  cost  a  bit  but  if  it  brings  a  winning  side  then  the  crowds  will  flock  to  the  Rec  and  therefor  would  balance  the  books.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 09 Jan 2007, 11:33:20 pm
yup i agree! ;)

Offline XIII

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 09 Jan 2007, 11:40:02 pm
Its all controversial stuff but lets be honest we are all disappointed at the lack any quality additons.  We have some good yonsters but realistically how many of them are going to be star players two or three will establish themselves over the next ten years as top whitehaven player.

we announced record profits last year surely the board can find an eager young Nz or Aus player with the required passport to come over for ?15k and prove himself.  We been doing it for years Mcfarlane / Watson / Shelford/ Obst/ Penny / Tandy/ Peachey. plus others The southern hemishpere is full of talent that cant break through and would jump at the chance a stint with a top NL1 team.

Yes its another overseas player but that the only way a club like Whitehaven can easily get a player out the ordinary, someone with more talent than the level he is playing at and can therefore turn games.  

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:08:50 am
Over  the  years  we've  had  some  quality  signing's  from  down  under.  It  wouldn't  surprise  me  if  many  Aussie  coach's  actually  point  them  to  us  as  a  good  club  to  start  off  in

Offline Havenhack

• Academy Signing
Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:30:17 am

A muppet? A halfwit. If you had half the wit of a muppet Karl then yourself and Mr Irving would not be reduced to trawling internet message boards in the faint hope of a whiff of a story on which to report on. I thought the whole aim of Journalism was to probe and ask questions in order to get answers and report these to the public, not to regurgitate comments made this forum. The comment was made about not employing 'mercenary journeymen'. What would everyone propose the club would do in the event of promotion to the elite division. Our current squad is a million miles away from what would be required to consolidate in the top competition. The only answer would be to sign a mixture of players from outside the county and in many cases these isles. Yes players will always leave for a better wage packet but as with any profession are they wrong to do so. If Rupert Murdock rang the Whitehaven News tomorrow and offered you the sub-editors job on one of his rags (which of course would include a fat wage packet ) would you turn him down in through loyalty to the Whitehaven News?

On to Rotherhams signings Trindall, Wright, Leafa, Smith, Duffy and Jackson (the others im led to believe were signed by Mr McCormack) These signings made to replace Tandy, Wilkes, Summers, Nanyn, McDermott, and Penny. Could anyone with hand on heart honestly say that the players hes brought in are better and have had more impact than the players they were signed to replace?

Reg,
You are quite right about journalists -- they have to ask the probing questions and supply the answers to the public, but the questions have been asked dozens of times and, more importantly, they have been answered, both on here and in the local press. You must be either deaf of stupid (I know where my money is ) because, despite the BOD telling you time and again why we haven't signed anyone, you keep asking the question.
The trouble is you don't just ask the question, you go to far.
I have no problem with freedom of speech, sport is, after all, all about opinions.
But character assassinations, first Des, now DR, are uncalled for and help nobody. Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid to critisise -- I took a bit of stick last year when I said, in print, that I was unimpressed by The Bull's start at the club, but then when he picked up as he got fitter I was also quick to sing his praises. It would be the same with any player or coach or whoever, if I think they deserve  a bit of stick I'll give them it, but I won't just tear them to shreds -- anonymously -- for the sake of it.
For your information on the career front I did, for a while, take a job with an agency working for one of Murdock's papers (as well as most of the other nationals). I was there for the best part of two years.
I took the job when it came up because of ambition, not money, but yes it was much better paid then the WN.
However the job involved being away from home, and I feel a commitment to the area, so I came back, not out of loyalty to the paper, but out of a sense of belonging to the area and wanting to stay where I feel I belong.
The point I am making is that West Cumbria is a unique place, and us West Cumbrians are a rare breed, players might not stay at Haven because of loyalty to the club, but they might well stay because either they or their wife has a job on site, or because they want to bring their kids up where they grew up, of simply because they like the town they are from.
Will we see you at the launch night Reg?
KC