HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Lidl's car park

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
on: 14 Jan 2007, 10:10:06 am
Made  the  unfortunate mistake  of  going  into  Lidl's  car  park  yesterday (2.45pm).  I  only  went  in  for  a  Mcdonalds  for  the  kids  and  it  took  me  half  an  hour  to  get  out. >:(

On  leaving  McDonalds  I  noticed  1  driver  attempt  to  leave  by  the  other  exit  your  not  supposed  to  use  but  as  he  went  to  leave  a  police  car  pulled  up  and  made  him  turn  round.

Basically  the  lights  were  only  green  for  a  few  seconds letting  just  a  handfull  of  cars  out  so  the  backlog  of  vehicles  was  unbelievable.  When  I  finally  did  get  out  the  police  car  had  gone  and  many  had  got  that  sick  and  tired  of  waiting  were  leaving  by  that  exit.

Question  I  would  like  to  know  is  which  numpty  from  the  council  made  the  decision  to  alter  the  system  were  you  can only  exit  via  the  lights.  It  wouldn't  be  so  bad  if  they  stopped  on  green  for  a  bit  longer  but  they  don't  and  this  has  become  a  frequent  problem  epsecially  Saturday  afternoon's.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2007, 11:59:31 am
i think, but i'm not sure so dont hold me to this...........

there originally was 2 sets of lights, the one where it is now, and one where you can go in at the top but not back out, that i know is true.........

they were changed to one set of lights that we have now, i believe morrisons objected to the removal of both and the introduction of a roundabout, which surely would have been better?

i understand the removal of the other lights was partly due to there being 3 sets<including the ones at coach road> within such a short space of road, who's idea it was exactly i dont know, but a roundabout at the current lights would be a better option to keep traffic flowing

hope that sheds a little light on the matter!

cheers
bigmac
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2007, 12:30:55 pm
I believe the County Council are responsible for the roads etc.  Maybe a strongly worded letter to the Highways Department at the County Council and a letter or two to the Whitehaven News may spark a reaction and prompt the Council into looking into the matter.  I work in town and trying to get home from that end of town of an evening is a nightmare.  A roundabout in that area would certainly be more prudent and ease the flow of traffic.  Maybe at busier times, having like the roundabout between Thornhill and Egremont and having part-time signals on there.
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Monte2carlo

Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2007, 04:12:29 pm
I have to agree with you on the Morrisons junction. Badly planned and probably rushed through with a back hander given !

However the SELFISH IDIOTS who try to exit the one way road besides MCD's should be prosecuted they are dangerous eventually one of the selfish idiots will cause an accident there. Why because they can't wait for 5 minutes at a junction and they feel that the law of the road only applies to other people and not them. I have noticed an alarming rise in cars who think that the red lights at the civic hall don't apply to them.

Rant over

Monte