HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

York v Whitehaven your thoughts !!!!!!!

Maca · 28 · 2179

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:04:28 pm
i have to feel sorry for the fans that travelled to watch. far to many changes and the ones that came in many from the heap up the road are not good enough. we have now put ourselves under pressure to go through look out town sunday. :nod: :nod: :nod:
These lads have come to Haven and dont deserve stick as if there still at town. If they pull on the shirt they should be given every chance to prove they can step up to the mark. Would people have been so against them if they came from another club? Two competitive games is hardly enough time to prove yourself.

I wasn't there and I'm pleased I wasn't. The result speaks volumes and finally proves that some of these young lads are simply not good enough, they really should be up to speed now, Christ theres plenty on here been bulling them up for about 2 Years now and the Town signings are DEFINATELY not good enough!! Give them a chance?? How many chances do they need? Ged Stokes has weakened this team and I do question his judgement - we'll definately struggle this year. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

yes they should be up to speed, playing in a proper first team surrounded by experinced players , not in a team surrounded other ones still finding their feet in the pro game

dont write them off just yet
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline home and away

• Academy Signing
Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:40:48 pm
Well almost 24 hours later and I am at a loss for words. I sat in the stand at York last night with two friends from York, what an embarrassment. To make matters worse our coach in tonight's paper makes it out that we were playing a team at the top of their game. Wake up and smell the coffee Ged. York were an average team made to look world beaters by an inept and totally incompetent Haven performance. York looked and played like an average second division team until they went 16 6 up and they realised how bad the team in front of them were. We played one man rugby all night. The game plan appeared to be keep it tight around the ruck and batter your way up the field. Only problem we had two props who couldn't burst a paper bag. We were naive in defence and lacked creation anywhere on the pitch. Our kicking game was rubbish. The only bright spot was Chris Smith who is definitely the real deal. Looking at the team Bamber is not and never will be a fullback. Daniel Smith is not and never will be a winger what happend to Lancaster who I thought had a fair game at Widnes? In the centre Patrick again tried to batter over the line for a try when his winger was standing unmarked and could have walked in. The two half backs I am not sure have played together before. I may be wrong but I don't think they played together last season in the reserves. In the forwards JT ad Tunstall are not the answer. Whatever they are payng JT is too much if Walker was not good enough then him and Tunstall should also walk. Ryan Campbell was not up to it when Haven let him go last time alas he has not improved since. Dexter injected a bit of pace and go forward when he came on and is worth perservering with. All in all a shocking night and very long journey back (thankfully not as far as others). Ged did not respect this competition at Town and I think he sadly got his selection wrong last night. Rather than heap praise on York he wants to hold his hand up. 3 games in 8 days is the same for all the other clubs get so with it and stop whinging.

This competition is an easier way to qualify for a SL place than reaching a GF. This performance  confirms the depth of the team is not as great as some thought but then put some of these youngsters in at the right time with the right players around them and you will get a different performance from them.

• Haven Legend
Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:09:21 pm
Well almost 24 hours later and I am at a loss for words. I sat in the stand at York last night with two friends from York, what an embarrassment. To make matters worse our coach in tonight's paper makes it out that we were playing a team at the top of their game. Wake up and smell the coffee Ged. York were an average team made to look world beaters by an inept and totally incompetent Haven performance. York looked and played like an average second division team until they went 16 6 up and they realised how bad the team in front of them were. We played one man rugby all night. The game plan appeared to be keep it tight around the ruck and batter your way up the field. Only problem we had two props who couldn't burst a paper bag. We were naive in defence and lacked creation anywhere on the pitch. Our kicking game was rubbish. The only bright spot was Chris Smith who is definitely the real deal. Looking at the team Bamber is not and never will be a fullback. Daniel Smith is not and never will be a winger what happend to Lancaster who I thought had a fair game at Widnes? In the centre Patrick again tried to batter over the line for a try when his winger was standing unmarked and could have walked in. The two half backs I am not sure have played together before. I may be wrong but I don't think they played together last season in the reserves. In the forwards JT ad Tunstall are not the answer. Whatever they are payng JT is too much if Walker was not good enough then him and Tunstall should also walk. Ryan Campbell was not up to it when Haven let him go last time alas he has not improved since. Dexter injected a bit of pace and go forward when he came on and is worth perservering with. All in all a shocking night and very long journey back (thankfully not as far as others). Ged did not respect this competition at Town and I think he sadly got his selection wrong last night. Rather than heap praise on York he wants to hold his hand up. 3 games in 8 days is the same for all the other clubs get so with it and stop whinging.

This competition is an easier way to qualify for a SL place than reaching a GF. This performance  confirms the depth of the team is not as great as some thought but then put some of these youngsters in at the right time with the right players around them and you will get a different performance from them.
excellent post, some good points
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2009, 05:09:58 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:18:04 pm

not bad for lost for words
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:57:10 pm
In the forwards JT ad Tunstall are not the answer. Whatever they are payng JT is too much if Walker was not good enough then him and Tunstall should also walk.

Surely you must mean Lavulavu here and not Theo?

Offline home and away

• Academy Signing
Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2009, 12:44:21 pm
Sorry Flannerz yes I meant the lazy prop forward not the young Aussie

Offline Haven Bright Spark

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2009, 07:33:03 pm
Sorry Flannerz yes I meant the lazy prop forward not the young Aussie
Does anyone actually believe that he is lazy though or that he simply cannot get the fitness required to play rugby anymore?  If laziness is a problem that that can be fixed........with a bit of time and effort............but if he is just naturally unfit and unable to cope then surely our coaching staff can see this and get shot quick before we turn even quicker into the laughing stock of cumbria!!
The only stupid question is the one never asked!

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2009, 07:56:39 pm
Ive seen him play 3 times this year (our ex town prop that is), and like everyone else who has an eye for a talented rugby player I simply don't see one.

No talent, no drive, no fitness. Collects the ball, runs forward, and as soon as a tackler touches him his legs simply stop, which means that my old lady could tackle him.

He's supposed to have a good offload ...... seems like town used it all up when they offloaded him on us. Seriously if we are reliant on him and LaLa for prop cover were doomed, doomed I tell you doomed.

We have two better young props of our own..... use them I say, they are fit and give of their best whenever they get a chance.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:27:45 pm
After reading tonight's N & S some of you haven't a clue what your talking about and some are not in their right mind.

At least that is what your coach is there in black and white saying as he thought Lavulavu did "extremely well at York".   He then goes on to say, "We were forced into the situation on Wednesday and we had to prioritise and rest key players.   I think anyone in their right mind would have done the same thing with a derby match coming up"!!!!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:42:42 pm
youve got to ask yourself if ged was not at haven
1 would haven have bought lavulavu,tunstall,campbell,or dalton  NO
2 they are not good enough for town so why would they be better for us
3 im all for blooding youngsters but to try and win with just about a full team of them was crazy i would of played four of them max
4 we are only playing lowly town on sunday so therefore he could of rested the ones that he should of put in on wednesday
i dont think another coach would of been so reckless with his selections
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2009, 04:37:39 pm
Just read last nights News and Star and yes !!!!   Ah-ha, now I totally get it, of all of the people involved in running and supporting the club, only Ged Stokes is in his right mind ???

Just wonder when I and so very many others lost the plot then ?

Could just be however that some clever somebody from York snook up here earlier last week and put something in the water supplies, obviously Ged (luckily for us) missed having a drink and so looked after our best interests on Wednesday at York.

Why should we mere mortals be so lucky?    God certainly moves in myterious ways doesn't he ?.....  or should I have said Ged moves in mysterious ways  ??   No need to though, I think we already know that now for sure don't we?
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2009, 04:39:47 pm by cbandg01 »

• Haven Legend
Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2009, 05:09:10 pm
Just read last nights News and Star and yes !!!!   Ah-ha, now I totally get it, of all of the people involved in running and supporting the club, only Ged Stokes is in his right mind ???

Just wonder when I and so very many others lost the plot then ?

Could just be however that some clever somebody from York snook up here earlier last week and put something in the water supplies, obviously Ged (luckily for us) missed having a drink and so looked after our best interests on Wednesday at York.

Why should we mere mortals be so lucky?    God certainly moves in myterious ways doesn't he ?.....  or should I have said Ged moves in mysterious ways  ??   No need to though, I think we already know that now for sure don't we?

i disagreed with the team he put out at york , but hey we move one its one game

this is a coach who got us to the semi final last year without fletch, duffy, rudd,macavoy, mcdonald and and playing mcnally, barker and shacks on a regular basis

lets not have a witch hunt for what he thinks was the right thing to do, he is working with the players and finances he has available, so lets get into the season and see how we go before the knifes come out

have a bit of respect , i think he earned it from us last season

with out him we could have been playing NL2 this season

remember Batley at home   i do 
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2009, 05:13:52 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Haven Bright Spark

• Academy Star
Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2009, 06:00:52 pm
I agree.............to a point though. 

Yes ged done an absolute fantastic job last year using limited resources! But he done that by blooding our youth system and giving the boys a chance!

Why then does he feel it is neccessary this year to buy second rate cover and play them above our youth?

Yes we got tonked on wednesday playing basically with our under 21's but play our best team with a scattering of these boys rotating round and surely we can emulate something from last year.

I fail to see the benefit to the team of bringing these sub standard fringe players in at all?  They cannot be good for morale, training purposes ( although shampoo would make a good tacking bag!) and it has already been proved that thay are of no benefit to the team that graces the field.

Give Ged a chance to admit he was wrong and lets hope he does it soon before we end up in NL2!
The only stupid question is the one never asked!