HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Bonus Point System

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
on: 06 Apr 2009, 10:47:56 pm
Things are a little quiet at the moment with having a weekend off so I was looking through some of the older posts on the forum. Moving back to 2006 when the bonus point system was announced, many fans were sceptical of the system or even opposed it.

Now we have had two full seasons of this system, what are peoples thoughts on it? Very little gets mentioned about it nowadays, have we all just accepted it for what it is? Does it really make much difference to the final standings? Does it really spur teams on who are 16-20 points behind with 15 mins to play? Has the RFL's experiment been successful? And if so, why isn't it applied to Super League?

Lots of questions with I'm sure plenty of interesting answers :)

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2009, 07:30:42 am
Still don't like it.

Yeah, I'm sure that it does help spur players on to avoid getting well beaten, but this is mainly towards the end of the season when teams know what points will be needed to finish in the play-offs or out of the bottom two.

The major negative is that it doesn't reward winning enough. Even after our 'dream' start we are not that far ahead of teams who have been beaten a couple of times but have picked up some bonus points (Sheffield?) And a draw is nearly as good as a win too (two-thirds of a win instead of half).

Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2009, 08:21:19 am
Point to note is that haven don't pick up many bonus points, so perhaps someone needs to explain the system to our lot.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2009, 09:14:46 pm
dont mind it really just think its abit daft that u get two points when you draw a game wot a joke
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.