HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Maybe losing Leafa isn't such a bad thing

Offline Broadbent 1

• Academy Star
  • Gary Broadbent Best Fullback in NL1
on: 23 Jan 2007, 05:56:36 pm
Call me crazy but it may not be such a bad thing losing Mark Leafa for though's of you that are football fans you'll know that in 2004 michael owen was sold by liverpool what happened that season? They won the champions league. In 2005 Arsenal lost Patrick Vieira what happened that season? They reached the champions league final & could have won it if they didn't get Lehmann sent off so early. And lastly this year Man United lost Ruud Van Nistlerooy but looks whats happening this season they're 6 points ahead in the league & going strong in all the cups except the carling cup which in reality is just a mickey mouse cup so do you see what I mean? Maybe this year could be our's despite losing a key player & not replacing him
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2007, 05:59:02 pm by tom4haven »
Gary Broadbent Haven Legend

Offline haven123456789

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2007, 06:03:38 pm
totaly agree tom4haven! 1 man doesnt make a team yeah he was a great player but we have got 12 other great players who played in the same lineup as him week in week out.... we have got the talent to fill his boots and we are a great club with high prospects so better players will come in the future!

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2007, 06:37:42 pm
Im not even going to reply to that. To compare Whitehaven RL to Man Utd or Arsenal is plain stupid, the teams dont even play the same sport for a start.

Its not the fact that we lost Leafa its the way we lost him and the seeming lack of ambition by not strengthening in key areas.

I think the board are resigned to life in the lower leagues, i defy anyone to present evidence that this isnt the case.

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:00:31 pm
yet again reg talking absolute crap he doesn't believe that  the are are 13 players on the field at the same time he believes the is only 1.

i believe tom4haven and tombhaven4life maybe losing leafa is not a bad thing afterall we thought it was gonna be all bad when mr.cullen left for warrington and look what happened mr.mccormack to us to 2 consecutive grandfinals

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

havenchamps2005

Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:16:34 pm
is reg leafas love child  ???
he is a tool that no one likes and no one agrees with great post marra totally agree
look back in 2005 spencer when he returned was better then leafa and leafa only got going in the final 3 games of the season

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:25:35 pm
Leafe  was  a good  player  but  he  did take  a few  games  to get  going.

On  his  day  he  could  be  a  game  winner  but  I  will  always think  back  to  the  game  against  Widnes  when  he  made  a    break  in  the  last  minute  only  for  him  to  kick  instead  of  passing  the  ball  when  we  had  players  queuing  up  to  score.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2007, 09:30:57 pm
i for one agree with reg ( :o what  :o) the likes of united arsenal and liverpool losing player has nothing to do with them doing well just as if we do well it will have nothing to do with us losing leafa but if you're talking about united etc... van nistlerooy left yes but saha has been playing class as has ronaldo scholes giggs nevile they didnt play aswel last season arsenal replaced viera by bringing through fabregas and flamini and owen hasnt been the same player for a few years so that didnt really make a difference to liverpool

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
haven till i die

havenchamps2005

Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2007, 11:27:35 pm
mcavoy to replace leafa not a bad replacement imo

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2007, 07:48:47 am
yeah me too
haven till i die

Offline kellshaven1

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2007, 02:57:05 pm
not a bad shout!!

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:05:23 pm
Calling Reg a 'tool' is a tad out of order, or were you calling Leafa a tool? Anyway, just because he expresses an opinion, one that a number of people happen to agree with who don't necessarily post on here, makes him unpopular. Take off the blinkers and waken up! I may be wrong, but we seem to be the only team who haven't strengthened for next season - that tells me that the powers that be think that a squad who only managed 4th last term can improve on that! Everyone else, have added to their squad. Surely a disadvantage before a ball is kicked in anger. We cannot introduce 4 or 5 young lads into the team in the same season and expect to achieve big things. Also we cant expect the likes of Leroy, Fatts, Aaron, Hill, seedsy, Trindel, to play at the level of old. Mid table mediocrity beckons!

Till next time.....................................

Offline Broadbent 1

• Academy Star
  • Gary Broadbent Best Fullback in NL1
Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:39:59 pm
i for one agree with reg ( :o what  :o) the likes of united arsenal and liverpool losing player has nothing to do with them doing well just as if we do well it will have nothing to do with us losing leafa but if you're talking about united etc... van nistlerooy left yes but saha has been playing class as has ronaldo scholes giggs nevile they didnt play aswel last season arsenal replaced viera by bringing through fabregas and flamini and owen hasnt been the same player for a few years so that didnt really make a difference to liverpool

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yes but we're gonna replace Leafa with McAvoy aren't we? Plus like you said saha is playing well but they haven't just bought him have they? He's a player they had from the previous season so what's to say that won't happen with us
Gary Broadbent Haven Legend

havenchamps2005

Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2007, 05:49:56 pm
well its going to take the leigh cas widnes etc to gel as team we wont have to will we advantage haven
lester leroy fats trindall howard seedsy will give us 110% every time they pull on the haven jersey so to say they wont give it like they used to is ridiculous

scott mcavoy to replace leafa isnt a  bad replacement before macca was injured last season him and howard were the second rowers for us and macca is a fantastic prospect and he wil have a big year this year

i disagree with your comment about introuducing 4 or 5 younger lads into a team and we cant achieve big things think who wil be coming in
marc bainbridge (david waite ex gb coach called him the most tanlented lad at his age)
ashley elsley ( ex saints academy scrum half cant be that bad can he to play for saints)
adam shaw ( his defence against town was excellent big rough lad ex england u18 captain cant be bad can he to captain his country)
scott farmer ( was voted best amatuer in the country and in the games he played last year he looked like he could handle the step up)
craig benson (natural replacement for broadbent quality young full back who wil make the step up)
craig hodgson (from what i saw in the academy team this lad has great potential to go on to big things)
danny barker (already proved he can handle first team rugby with his performance down at warrington last year)
john lebbon ( already showed he can make the step up his try record is exceptional for the amount of games he has played)
david ford ( played in the wigan academy he is a big rough prop who wil make it belive me)
daniel smith (already played first team rugby for the club and looked like he could handle first team duties)

so to say we cant achieve big things with these lads stepping in is a bit of a statement to make !

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:51:58 pm
some good players there but i will once again say danny barker is crap
haven till i die

Offline haven123456789

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:39:53 pm
Thanks HavenMascot (Y)  Just stating the obvious lol :P