HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Some NL news

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
on: 26 Jan 2007, 12:25:57 pm
The Rugby League were on Thursday celebrating an extended sponsorship of the non Super League clubs' knockout competition and anticipating the arrival of new backers for the National League.

Northern Rail are to sponsor the League Cup up to and including the 2009 season after announcing a three-year extension at Thursday's launch at the Eureka children's museum in Halifax.

The competition, played in regional group stages as a curtain-raiser to the National League campaign, gets under way with the first set of fixtures on February 9 and culminates in the final at Blackpool's Bloomfield Road on July 15.

Sky Sports are to once more broadcast the final live as part of what the League expects to be a wider package of television coverage for clubs outside Super League.

Initially, Eurosport were set to begin covering rugby league but it is now thought the League are negotiating a deal with Sky separate to their existing Super League contract.

"We are hoping to make a formal announcement next week of wider television coverage for the National League," said RFL chief operating officer Nigel Wood.

It is expected that Sky will start broadcasting live National League matches on Thursday evenings from Easter, when the season begins.

The League are also confident that wider exposure will enable them to secure a replacement for LHF Healthpan, whose sponsorship of the National League ended last year.

"We are in discussions with a couple of companies," said Wood. "If we can deliver on the TV deal, it will materially affect the sponsorship opportunities."

The round-robin matches in the Northern Rail Cup will feature the new scoring system, with three points awarded for a win and a bonus point for teams losing by 12 points or less.

You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2007, 09:52:57 pm

It is expected that Sky will start broadcasting live National League matches on Thursday evenings from Easter, when the season begins.

i wont hold my breath
sky will be too busy fitting football games in between the likes of St.Albans and Stafford Rangers, or the massive Rusden & Diamonds against Tamworth!!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:11:29 pm
Looks  like  SKY  are  about  to  screen  live  NL1 & 2 games  on  a  thursday.

Its  good  news  but  what  a  pity  it  took  another  TV  channel  to  make  make  them  wonder  what  they  were  losing.

Lets  hope  all  NL  clubs  benefit  and  the  games  on  offer  are  proof  that  there's  life  after  SL. :)

havenchamps2005

Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:17:34 pm
cas widnes leigh doncaster will be the most highlighted nl1 teams i bet  8)

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:20:20 pm
we better get on a few times or there will be hell on and if we dont we should all protest against sky and the rfl and that will make em change

but all in all i do think we will get on regulary

it will be a nl2 game maybe 5pm and there maybe will put the nl1 game on at 8pm so it will be quite good but will it effect rugby league and whitehaven in terms of income

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:31:56 pm
what about our players that work on a thursday afternoon/evening???
haven till i die

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:33:43 pm
I KNOW COULD UPSET QUITE A FEW

havenchamps2005

Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:51:20 pm
have to take there shifts off sellafield wont mind  :D :D

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2007, 08:52:34 pm
At  last their  going  to  feature  NL  games.  What  a  pity  its  taken  another  TV  channel  to  let  them  see  the  error  of  their  ways.