HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Taking site offline

Offline IceMan

• Academy Star
on: 04 Feb 2007, 01:44:00 pm
Flannerz why do you have to take the site down to update it ? I make my living building websites and I never take one down untill the new version is loaded...I dont understand what your doing ! ! ! ! Why dont you just create new files and load alongside the old ones then once all up and running and checked simple switch the entery link to the new pages, that way you can even keep the old version as a back up to.
This is literally the start of the season in many respects and we cant go on the site to see the most basic of information such as kick off times etc etc.
Really not good enough im afraid. If you MUST take the site down to update it for any length of time then surely the off season is the time to do it ?

IceMan (very disgruntled and bemused)

(and probably banned for speaking my mind)

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2007, 02:13:02 pm
The thinking behind it is quite simple. The new site is linked to different back-end systems so I wanted to install it in the correct location on the server so it was ready to launch ON the launch night.

However, a lot of the file names are similar to the current site so it was impossible to run them along side each other in the same location. The alternative was to either put them in a different folder until the launch. Although the old site would then have had to be deleted, new files copied to the root directory and then file paths to back-end systems changed = site not launched instantly.

I was thinking this morning though that the old site could be put back up as there was a minor set-back yesterday meaning the site couldn't be made public until Friday anyway - hence why the site is now back online ;)

Believe me, I thought exactly the same as regards to uploading the new files and then just changing the entry link, but unless all of the new files were going to be put in a folder other than the root directory permanently, it didn't seem plausable.

And by the way...no one is going to ban you for speaking your mind :-* In fact I'm glad you've mentioned it! (I've also sent you a PM)
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2007, 03:12:49 pm by Flannerz »