HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Barrow coach Clark Fired

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2009, 04:26:01 pm
Don't know if anyone else has heard?  Apparently Dave Clark and Marwood have been fired.
clear cAse of man with too much money, not enough RL knowledge making all the decisions. Wonder what the players think of this. DES even berated the players with the " shape up or ship out" speech before the fax game. I feel the wheels are now off the barrow bus
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline haven haven

• Academy Signing
Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2009, 04:45:36 pm
so what happens if Steve deakin comes in and has a run of 6 losing games
because he hasn't got used to the team?
if you ask me barrow were playing on the reputations of players and are now being found out
you cant build a whole new team (more or less) and expect to win everything in the first year
i think the coach has done well to get them where they are so far and a big upheaval at this stage in the comp can only have bad effects on the team
because they will all be wondering what they have to do to keep their jobs
and which one will be singled out for a bollocking next
i think its more a case of other teams strengthening and getting players fit
towards the run in than bad coaching on Mr Clark's part

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2009, 05:03:20 pm

To call me a 'mong' is pretty short sighted on Amarillo's part.

An awful lot of paralels can be made between Michael Knighton's ill fated tenure @ Brunton Park and Chairman Des's current regime. One of the key elements which contributes to success in professional sport is stability.

It seems to me Chairman Des is building his empire on a foundation of sand.

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2009, 05:07:26 pm
Now this is what I don't understand! First of all you say this.

Clarky has done a great job and is Barrow through and through.  Hopefully he will remain as assistant next season as well and continuing his community role.

Then you say,

Was man enough to accept his current shortcomings and stepped down for the good of the club.

Surely if your saying he has stepped down for the good of the club then why would you hope that he remains as assistant coach? That's contradiction for you!
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009, 05:12:21 pm by haven warrior »
Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2009, 06:23:30 pm
Read Clarky's view of things in tonights NWE Mail ...

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/raiders/news/right_time_to_go_1_587397?referrerPath=afc

No sacking or conspiracy.  Was man enough to accept his current shortcomings and stepped down for the good of the club.  Far too many coaches/managers hang on until the bitter end (a certain Mr Rotheram springs to mind).

So that's the real story.  Unless you're going to accuse Clarky of lying of course  ::)

Onwards and upwards  8)

Are you that Niave?? Of course the official line is a positive one.
And of course the community role ( Which uncles Dessy doesnt have to fund) will soften the blow.
But get real, it appeared that the players were content with the current set up.
However Dessy wants instant success, and not being rugby man, cannot grasp why you simply cannot just buy success at any sporting level, look at Real Madrid, Chelsea, Wigan RL , Bradford and on the other hand look at Wolves, Hull KR, Wakey relative success based on gradual improvement.
I really pit the next Barrow coach.
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #35 on: 22 Jul 2009, 06:26:47 pm

Clarky has done a great job and is Barrow through and through.  Hopefully he will remain as assistant next season as well and continuing his community role.

Then you say,

Was man enough to accept his current shortcomings and stepped down for the good of the club.

Surely if your saying he has stepped down for the good of the club then why would you hope that he remains as assistant coach? That's contradiction for you!

Pretty simple really, because an assistant coach has far, far less influence on playing matters.

With Clarky in the 'top job' and all things considered, I think we would have won 1 or 2 of our remaining games.  Deakin is caretaker until the end of the season.  If we still only win 1 or 2 then so be it.  The thing most people seems to have overlooked is that Clarky stepped down - he wasn't sacked.

We've lost 4 of our last 5 games - pretty similar to Steve McCormack prior to his departure from Widnes.  So hardly a surprise he stepped down.

A brave decision by Clarky (and Des) and I'm sure it'll work out for the good of Barrow RL.

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #36 on: 22 Jul 2009, 06:34:04 pm
A "noble" decision by Clarky.
the only way is up.

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2009, 06:35:51 pm
Read Clarky's view of things in tonights NWE Mail ...

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/raiders/news/right_time_to_go_1_587397?referrerPath=afc

No sacking or conspiracy.  Was man enough to accept his current shortcomings and stepped down for the good of the club.  Far too many coaches/managers hang on until the bitter end (a certain Mr Rotheram springs to mind).

So that's the real story.  Unless you're going to accuse Clarky of lying of course  ::)

Onwards and upwards  8)

Are you that Niave?? Of course the official line is a positive one.
And of course the community role ( Which uncles Dessy doesnt have to fund) will soften the blow.
But get real, it appeared that the players were content with the current set up.
However Dessy wants instant success, and not being rugby man, cannot grasp why you simply cannot just buy success at any sporting level, look at Real Madrid, Chelsea, Wigan RL , Bradford and on the other hand look at Wolves, Hull KR, Wakey relative success based on gradual improvement.
I really pit the next Barrow coach.

First of all, what makes someone a 'rugby man' ???  He's been a Barrow RL fan all his life, played the game in his youth, has very good friends in the game and is willing to invest time and money in his home town's Rugby League team.  What the hell else does he have to do to 'qualify' as a 'rugby man' ??

I don't think many Barrow fans will be too upset at Clarky stepping down and they're the ones best qualified to judge, seeing as they watch more games than any opposition fans.

Someone commented that "they will all be wondering what they have to do to keep their jobs
and which one will be singled out for a bollocking next".  That's exactly what any pro sportsman SHOULD be thinking.  Slipping into a comfort zone is a steady road to mediocrity.  The players are employed by the club and the club expect them to perform to the best of their ability.  That isn't happening at present.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #38 on: 22 Jul 2009, 06:41:52 pm
Des has has had less and less respect for Clark as the season went on as he has allowed himself to be far too easily influenced and pushed around by the said man.

Clark can't disagree with this (once explained), and was given the option to stand down so that Des could get 'a stronger minded leader'........or be pushed

Des rules OK !

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #39 on: 22 Jul 2009, 08:40:04 pm
  The players are employed by the club and the club expect them to perform to the best of their ability.  That isn't happening at present.
[/quote]

Only the players to blame for their lack of performance then.   
Going back to Clarky stepping down, we only know what the papers say and you might say that came from the coach as well but i can only think that Dave Clarke is too much of a modest and nice guy to say any different. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors ( unless your a fly on the wall).
Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #40 on: 22 Jul 2009, 08:42:54 pm

Then you say,

Pretty simple really, because an assistant coach has far, far less influence on playing matters.

With Clarky in the 'top job' and all things considered, I think we would have won 1 or 2 of our remaining games.  Deakin is caretaker until the end of the season.  If we still only win 1 or 2 then so be it.  The thing most people seems to have overlooked is that Clarky stepped down - he wasn't sacked.

We've lost 4 of our last 5 games - pretty similar to Steve McCormack prior to his departure from Widnes.  So hardly a surprise he stepped down.

A brave decision by Clarky (and Des) and I'm sure it'll work out for the good of Barrow RL.

come on SCR i know your one of dessies yes men but even you cant accept that

following  meetings over the weekend HHHMMM  why more than one sure if he decided to step down thats all it would have taken

rumours were rife at the haven game that if you lost he would no longer be coach

so for the good of the club he stepped down to let a coach he beat hands down last year take over...its called towing the party line no doubt the truth will come out at the end of the season

but its getting clear from coments he makes from the stands, in the papers etc that des is a frustrated coach and is trying to have his say on team matters which is always going to end in disaster

i think rather than looking at clarky for get beat in 4 of the last 5 look at at the players lost through injury, suspension, leaving the club or those playing with injuries as for deakin well its a good job hes only the caretaker as he would be out after about 3 games
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009, 10:20:44 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline recrelad

• Academy Star
Reply #41 on: 22 Jul 2009, 09:42:14 pm
I cant believe anybody could be naive enough to believe that Clarky stepped down and wasnt sacked.
Get real!!

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #42 on: 22 Jul 2009, 09:58:48 pm
I cant believe anybody could be naive enough to believe that Clarky stepped down and wasnt sacked.
Get real!!
Just going by what has actually come out of Clarky's mouth.

But hey, you Haven fans know more about it than he does. ::)

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #43 on: 22 Jul 2009, 10:01:33 pm
Maybe its a blessing in disguise for him. After all it was rumoured the Chairman picked the side not the coach :(

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #44 on: 22 Jul 2009, 10:27:14 pm
Not bad effort so far then if Des has picked the side & knows eff all about rugby !
the only way is up.