HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Bonus Point, Good or Bad?

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
on: 10 Aug 2009, 03:30:31 pm
My view has never altered on the bonus point, I have always thought it was a bad idea, rewarding teams for getting beat can't be a good thing for the game.
Below is the table with and without bonus points
1. Barrow 36                33
2. Halifax 36                33
3.Widnes 36                30
4. Haven 36                33
5 Sheffield 33              24
6. Featherstone 33       33
7. Toulouse 27             24
8. Bately 25                 22
9. Leigh 24                   21
10. Gateshead 23          22
11. Doncaster 8              3

so without the reward for LOSING, leigh would be in bottom 2, sheffield would be still in top 6 but only on points diff, Gateshead would be out of relegation zone!

time to scrap it, in my opinion!!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

The Engineer?!

Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2009, 03:40:52 pm
The only good side i can see about the bonus point is it keeps the game going, instead of the losing team just giving up near the end they carry on playing to get the bonus,i know they should do this bonus point or no bonus point but you cant have everything  :what?!:

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2009, 09:24:59 pm
when u look at the table with 1 game to go it only serves to show that the bonus point HAS to be scrapped!!

how can sheffield be rewarded for losing 9 games is beyond me!

if us and sheffield get the same result, they will finish above us despite winning 2 games less!

they would struggle to make the 6 without the bonus points, that has to be wrong!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2009, 07:07:02 am
i hate it

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2009, 10:47:25 am
It's got to be a good idea, it not only keeps the losing team involved for longer and in more matches (good for team and match supporters), but it also rewards teams like Sheffield, who have essentailly been competative nearly all season in nearly all games (unlike haven).

As much as I hate the RLF, some how the set up has produced the most competative league ever, and everyones interest right up until the final game (except Donny).

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2009, 04:04:48 pm
Well its what we need on Sunday. Should guarantee us 4th spot and could even see us into 3rd if Barrow whip Sheffield this thursday.

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 02 Sep 2009, 08:35:16 pm
If it was good that it would be used in Super League

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 02 Sep 2009, 08:38:24 pm
wasnt it done in our league to see if it worked first not to sure tho but even if it did would it go in the duper league

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 03 Sep 2009, 08:25:16 pm
Well with Sheffied winning tonight unless we can beat Leigh by about 100+ its looking like 4th spot whether we win or get a bonus. Can't see Toulose beating Fax

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 03 Sep 2009, 08:36:30 pm
i still say its a bad idea, and nothing will change my view on that!

remember without it how many points sheffield would lose, rewards for losing games!!

cant see us finishing better than 6th now, which after losing to leigh will mean a trip to sheffield, and no doubt in their infinite wisdom, the rfl will get together with sky and put it on tv so we have to go on a thursday night!!

hope i'm wrong and we beat leigh and finish 4th, which will give us a home tie, most likely against widnes
the reverand, big mac

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #10 on: 03 Sep 2009, 08:58:34 pm
after seeing tonight
i think its a bad thing
do you really think Barrow would have went for them 2 drop goals if there was no bonus point on
  :shake: :shake:

This Bonus point system should be scrapped and should back to the old 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw and if you lose

TOUGH

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #11 on: 04 Sep 2009, 07:25:35 am
I do think its a bad idea, Sheffield have got a ridiculous number of bonus points which now see's them go ahead of us, even though we've had more wins!
Plus Barrow would not have won the league, Im not that bothered about that, but its the fact they knew they didnt have to win just get a bonus point, so they wernt as fired up for the game. But I do understand that they had just played on monday.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #12 on: 04 Sep 2009, 07:30:30 am
as proved last night its farcical
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Monte2carlo

Reply #13 on: 04 Sep 2009, 07:36:15 am
To reward a team for failure is wrong. The second half of the Flossies game yesterday showed how negative tactics can be used to get the bonus point.

The Eagles are by far the most boring team to watch on either TV or live with the killing the game attitude.

Monte :tip:

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 04 Sep 2009, 07:48:30 am
if we win on sunday it means a team who has lost 2 more games then us will finish above us thats how stupid it is, they are being rewarded for getting beat in 9 games (9bonus points) while teams who have lost 7 will finish below them
THE MULLET IS BACK