HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

The article - My view

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
on: 11 Feb 2007, 02:56:49 pm
I just wrote the following earlier on and seen as this forum is completely unofficial now, theres no harm in posting it:

First let me say that the injury Ryan Campbell suffered was a nasty one and everyone at Whitehaven wishes Ryan a full speedy recovery. The image which showed Ryan?s Injury was originally posted onto the Widnes forum which is linked to their official website.

News had got out about Ryan?s injury on the Whitehaven forum and many members were posting messages of best wishes. Someone had obviously noticed the image on the Widnes site and had copied it from there into the forum. Messages of sympathy continued to flow in the topic and this can still be viewed on the forum.

I had a phone call on Monday morning from an official at Workington regarding the image and they wished for it to be removed. This was carried out instantly with no questions asked. I apologised for any distress caused and the whole situation was resolved amicably.

The article in the News and Star is factually incorrect in numerous places. Firstly, I wasn?t ordered to remove the image, I was asked politely and I took action immediately.

However the main issue which isn?t correct is the image itself. The paper claims that the image ?depicts Campbell on the pitch in agony?. All the image actually showed was the bottom half of a leg from the knee down. The only way you could identify it was a Workington Rugby Player was the fact there was ?Town? written on the sock. No facial expression is seen to suggest any agony from the image directly. Many people haven?t seen the image and I would be surprised if the reporter has actually seen the image either.

The article also suggests that it was posted on the forum with a sinister motive behind it. If anyone looks at the context of the thread it was posted in, they will see that everyone is wishing Ryan well. No one likes to see a player badly injured, and Whitehaven fans think exactly the same.

Even the photographer from Widnes who posted the image on their board said yesterday ?When I put it on the Widnes board I also put how gutted I am for Ryan and wish him speedy recovery. I really cant understand the over reaction from the paper in question?

The bizarre thing in this whole issue is that the case was re-opened when it appeared resolved. I am very disappointed for it to have got front page headlines. It is outrageous for a story like this to be a headline. What is even more interesting is that the image was still on the Widnes board up until 3 o clock yesterday afternoon, that?s more than 6 days after it was removed from the Whitehaven forum!

To me and numerous people I have spoken to from both Whitehaven and Workington, it has been an attempt to stir up things between the clubs as they head into this afternoons derby match. I personally feel aggrieved that the news and star have attempted to blacken the character of Whitehaven RLFC and the websites affiliated to the club.

I am led to believe officials from Whitehaven were contacted on Friday evening and they had no knowledge of the incident so couldn?t react appropriately. In my view its very poor journalism when an article of this magnitude was published without gathering the full facts of the situation.

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:07:41 pm
All very well said John, I would foward it to the editor of the paper in question!
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline Haven till we die

• Academy Star
  • Grand Final here we come HAVEN!!
    • www.whitehavenrl.co.uk
Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:06:03 pm
To me and numerous people I have spoken to from both Whitehaven and Workington, it has been an attempt to stir up things between the clubs as they head into this afternoons derby match. I personally feel aggrieved that the news and star have attempted to blacken the character of Whitehaven RLFC and the websites affiliated to the club.
Well I think they got what they set out to do cause friction between the clubs, as there was alot of fighting after the match and by the sounds of it Workington were the instigators.There was even trouble in the ground, hope that they think better of it next time!!! >:( >:(

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:14:17 pm
I've  seen  the ..........on  the  Widnes  site ???

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:17:08 pm

Don't entirely understand what you mean there?

The image was posted on the 'Trust In Widnes' board which is linked from the official Widnes site. However the image was removed at 3 o clock yesterday afternoon.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:00:17 pm

Supposed  to  say  the  "picture".  It  was  still online  when  I  veiwed  it.

Don't entirely understand what you mean there?

The image was posted on the 'Trust In Widnes' board which is linked from the official Widnes site. However the image was removed at 3 o clock yesterday afternoon.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2007, 09:27:25 am
I've just had the reporter from the Daily Sta...erm sorry News and Star on the phone for 15 mins wanting to know exactly what was going on. I basically said everything that you see above. He said they are running another article today (in tomorrows paper) that will set the record straight.

When I asked if him or his colleagues had seen the image in question, his response was 'no' - now isn't that a suprise! You are able to write a front page headline about an image which you haven't even seen!

He also mentioned that a lot of fans had e-mailed in complaining about the article and they felt action needed to be taken. Well done MrsHavenWarrior and others who emailed them!

It will be interesting to see what is put in the new article.