HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Is it time for a new coach

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
on: 24 Mar 2010, 10:46:46 pm
Ged did well last season. Got within a whisker of the GF and must have been in the running for coach of the year.

So far this year we've dumped out the NRC at the group stage. Team morale is low. Discipline both on and off the field is shocking. Players brought in who are sub standard. Players playing out of position.

Is it time for a change or is Ged still the best man to get us out of this slump ???

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2010, 10:57:11 pm
Far too early to judge, just as it was this time last year.

It does look bad, I'll give you that, but he's turned it round before, so we need to give it a few more games.

Suggest we all get off the coach and teams back for the next four to five weeks, get behind the team, and see how things works out.

Offline haven24/7

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:02:54 am
How can we get off their backs?   We have a coach who has no respect for his players, a bod that are only interested in a new bloody stadium and a team that doesn't want to seem to play for their coach.   Do we just keep putting money in through the gates week in week out to bectold either lies or told nothing at all.   I bet at least 70% of the fans are sick to their back teeth of what's going on down at whitehaven.   It really is time for GED to go but as good old razzy said.   He's not going anywhere.

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:07:15 am
Well I'm prepared to give him more time. He hasn't had the luxury of fielding his strongest side due to injuries and illness and I reckon if he can put his strongest side on the park on our day we can be a match for anyone.

Downside are all the rumours suddenly coming out of the club. Inter fighting isn't helping and if the Jacko rumour proves true it could well be another nail in his coffin. If after 10 games we sit rooted at the bottom (Especially as Keighley have a -9pt deduction), he continues to play players out of position and some who are simply not good enough then its bye bye for me. There's no money and if fans voice with their feet (and I'm sure many will) then I can't see what alternatives there are left. ???

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:56:12 am
i will be more decided when the jacko situation is sorted out. although i think i already know we have to keep jacko at our club. :nod: :nod: :nod:
born and bred haven.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2010, 12:50:10 pm
"haven94" why decide after the Jacko situation? if Jacko is retained the atmosphere and relationship between him and would be untenable, whilst I support Jacko even though I don't know all the details of the matter, Ged as a history of not being able to deal or handle members of the squad fairly without showing even handness or favoritism, it is only a few weeks ago he didn't want Ginge in his squad, S. Fox and Lancaster are disillusioned, Rudd is a bundle of nerves and lost his form due to Geds rantings.
There as been a lot said about Ged on this site and if only 50% is correct, it is in my opinion reason to get shot of him and not Jacko, and who will be Geds next victim after Jacko?

enough said

its a good job it will be the BOD decides what happens and not you, me ,ged the players or anyone else on here
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2010, 12:52:25 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2010, 01:27:52 pm
In response to the initial question that this thread is about

YES!!!
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2010, 01:48:22 pm
"haven94" why decide after the Jacko situation? if Jacko is retained the atmosphere and relationship between him and would be untenable, whilst I support Jacko even though I don't know all the details of the matter, Ged as a history of not being able to deal or handle members of the squad fairly without showing even handness or favoritism, it is only a few weeks ago he didn't want Ginge in his squad, S. Fox and Lancaster are disillusioned, Rudd is a bundle of nerves and lost his form due to Geds rantings.
There as been a lot said about Ged on this site and if only 50% is correct, it is in my opinion reason to get shot of him and not Jacko, and who will be Geds next victim after Jacko?
ok then knowitall i agree yes get shot and keep jacko :nod: :nod: :nod:
born and bred haven.

Offline haven24/7

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:02:21 pm
We want a new coach, we need a new coach, we've got to have a new coach.   Rumours have it that GED has a two year deal on the table.   Rumours also have it he was nearly sacked the other week.   If the club listened to it's supporters we would have possibly had a new coach that knows what is going on at the club, who watches the club every week from the terraces and knows how to take the club forward.   I think we all know who the man in question is an believe he would give and get respect from supporters and staff at the club.    Hopecyour here sooner rather than later mr woods.   

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2010, 07:14:22 pm
i will be more decided when the jacko situation is sorted out. although i think i already know we have to keep jacko at our club. :nod: :nod: :nod:

So if he has a case to answer, and a punishment ensues ( which wont be the sack by the way ) you will back the coach????
Or does your final verdict depend on it going the players way.
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2010, 07:15:56 pm
"Brett" I acknowledged the fact that I did not Know all the details of the Jacko / Ged event only the two of them know the reality,

PLus the other 17 players and back room staff who all witnessed what happened.
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline haven24/7

• Academy Star
Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2010, 07:19:29 pm
Knowitall, by the time the club have decided to advertise the vacancy, recurve the application forms, interview and offer the position it would be next season.   We signed a player some months ago n he hadn't turned up yet. So what chances have they got of getting a new coach in unless they offer woody the vacancy asap

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2010, 12:02:31 am
Talking to a Town fan today whats happenning at our club is a mirror image at what happenned at Town when the wheels started to fall off. It seems he has a dictator outlook on things !!!! Do it my way or not at all and can't handle situations where he's being challenged. Wasn't he dismissed from Town after an altercation with a fan ??

I just hope things get sorted soon. I've never known such turbulent times for ages. We've had quite a few good years. 2 GF's, 1 NRC final and a Champinship winners medal. It all seems a million light years away from where were at at the moment.  Biggest acheivement this season will be avoiding relegation.

What we don't need is team squabbles and Ged has to show all his coaching skills to unite the side. If he is unable to do that then it will reflect on how the side performs. We'll get a tonking after tonking and the recre terraces will become even more deserted.

Maybe 1 idea is Players, Coaches, Directors and possibly 1 or 2 fans get together and thrash out any issues that need raised.. I'm not talking of a slagging session but an opportunity for everyone to air their feeling in a constructive manner. Sometimes getting things off your chest might just help from a club point of view. If not then trips to Gateshead, York and even a couple of visits to DP might become the norm :(

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2010, 06:20:06 am

Maybe 1 idea is Players, Coaches, Directors and possibly 1 or 2 fans get together and thrash out any issues that need raised.. I'm not talking of a slagging session but an opportunity for everyone to air their feeling in a constructive manner. Sometimes getting things off your chest might just help

i posted something similar tother day to that

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2010, 11:07:30 am
"whitehavenRLforever" Unfortunately Ged as made an issue out of this dispute by referring the matter to the BoD, instead of dealing with Jacko privately one to one behind closed doors, Ged should have shown better man managent skills instead of getting involved in a dressing room slanging match.

Ged by his actions as made a rigid stand referring the matter to BoD he his put this matter to the Directors for them to support him in this issue, it is him or Jacko.
One or both should go, too retain both in the club will not get rid of the bad blood that now exists between the coach and some players.

Ged in my opinon as been the creator of his problems showing he cannot deal with players by showing them some respect and he in return as lost the Team and majority of the Fans respect.
a memembr of the BOD heard what went on for themselves, its seems to me that if this was any other coach you would not back the player on this cause by his own admission he was in the wrong, so lets not let your dislike for ged as a coach cloud your judgement on this, jacko is a quality player that we need in our squad
the issue has been dealt with between the BOD and player, time to move on
THE MULLET IS BACK