HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Is it time for a new coach

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #30 on: 28 Mar 2010, 05:31:51 pm
So you saying that when we are ordinary, we are like that?? Droppin balls, missin tackles, etc...

Says a lot doesn't it?! Especially says I don't wana be there to watch them when they are even worse than ordinary!!!!
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #31 on: 28 Mar 2010, 05:46:15 pm
http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=450634

sound familar, i like the bit where they say leigh players had  commitment, discipline and passion., thats what their players lacked but its the coaches fault

my last post on this topic of stokes, he can  stay for me and players to shape up or ship out, if he goes i will back the new coach with the same vigour

what ever happens the outcome has to be we avoid relegation
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #32 on: 28 Mar 2010, 05:52:50 pm
If the coach cannot sort it out( his job by the way is exactly that) then he has to go. U cannot ship an entire squad out mid season and replace them!! Apparently we can't find anyone to sign now who can improve the team now let alone find a new teamfull. Coach goes its one man to replace!!
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 28 Mar 2010, 09:38:07 pm
I know what your saying Brett. Ged doesn't drop balls or miss tackles nor does  he train the players to do such things but his poor man-management skills appear to be having a bearing on what happens on the field

Offline JAYFORHAVEN

• Academy Star
Reply #34 on: 28 Mar 2010, 09:58:05 pm
the team are not playing for the coach they should be playing for that badge on their shirts and the fans who are paying every week to pay their wages,and if they can not be bothered to play for us then we should not be bothered going to see them play, if i did not have a season ticket which they have got my money, i would not be paying through the gates,and that is from me that has been going since the very first game.

Offline Enoch

• First Team Backup
Reply #35 on: 28 Mar 2010, 11:22:07 pm
Is it time for Ged to go?

Let us look at the facts:

1. Ged has worked wonders over the past two seasons. First year he rescued us from a bad position and last year he worked wonders with a club on the verge of financial meltdown.

2. The team has failed to do anything in both cup competitions over the past three seasons.

3. Ged has made some poor player acquisitions, but his hands have been tied by financial constraints.

4. Early season performances were poor last year and shocking this year.

5. Last season and the season before Ged seemed to be able to get the players up for the big games but struggled with the games against the so called lesser sides.

6. This year we have won one and lost two in the league. We have obtained the same results against Leigh and Toulouse as we did last year, however we failed at Fev unlike last year.

The two years that have seen Ged perform well with the side have to give him some time. Given that we have a very difficult start to the season he should be given 8 games to show if he can turn it around. If we are in a very poor position at that point then a new coach should be obtained to ensure that we stay in the division. We play most of the teams that will be around us in the second half of the season. Like with all teams there is a time when enough is enough.

I do however have to agree with others on here that have been making comments about how the players have to take responsibility for the poor performances. Unfortunately as we all know this never happens in any sport and never will. The players are in a very strong position as they know it is far easier to remove one rather than 17. This is what happened with Dave Rotherham.

Unfortunately we all have to also realise that the good days are over and we have to be more realistic in our expectations. However saying that the current squad of players should not be performing in the way that they have done. At the moment we should have 5 points (one win and two bonus points). that would have been a fair reflection on our team and the fixtures that we have played.

What will happen next? Well that is anyones guess!!!

Offline mega570

• Academy Signing
Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2010, 12:02:18 am
i have to say that over the last few weeks i have not got involved with the get ged out movement.at no point would i wish to see anybody lose their job and their wages to support their family.but at the end of the day it seems that the players do not want to play for ged.todays performance must have been the worst i have heard in over 30 years of supporting the haven,even coxy was begging to go to the town match because it was embarrassing.so what do we do we can either get rid of many of the squad,but who do we replace them with or put ged on gardening leave and get a new coach.these are sad and hard choices but i am afraid it is relegation with ged or maybe not with another coach.last season the team and ged over performed and should have been in the grand final but that is as they say history.our current fight is now to avoid relegation,we are currently second bottom and we are not playing well enough to beat barrow.wether it is tomorrow or at the end of the season we will have a new coach hopefully he will not be coaching in the league below because all of our good players will have left for barrow and we will have to survive on crowds of 500 like was at town today.like i say hard choices mr chairman but that is your job,do you sacrifice one to save the club or do we all go down together.

after saying all this if we decide to replace ged why is there all this clammer for dave woods.his only attempt to win this league failed.he had a fully professional squad yet were beaten to the league championship by a team of semi pro's  :D and i was there at rochdale to see the team lift the cup.in my opinion he is overrated and to here him have a pop at ged every match is doing my head in,it is all very subtile but he is trying to prove he is a good coach at geds expense.if we need a new coach there are only 2 people that come to mind.

1.paul cullen.i know his wife is ill and he does not need all the crap at widnes.bring him and his family up here it is a less stressful job and mrs cullen could sample nice clean air on her road to recovery in a laid back friendly atmosphere.also he has a job to finish that he started all those years ago.

2.aaron lester.has not coached before but i would suspect that the one thing he has got is respect of the current squad.he has been there and has done it.most of the squad have got money but i would suspect that they would play for him and would want to win not for money but for personal pride.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:18:28 am
Well I've listened to Dave Woods and I can't remember him having a pop at Ged. All he's doing his probably what he's paid to do and that is offer
match analysis As he sees it.

As for Ged there no doubting the guys knowledge of the game. IMO what's tearing the club apart are his poor man management skills. There's probably only a few on here who are privy to what went on in the dressing room after the Leigh game but by All accounts he got tore into quite a few. Is that really the way to instill beleif into a player who's confidence is already shot to pieces or would it be better to get an offending player to 1 side and offer him sound advice rather than slagging him off infront of the group.

Apparently it's exactly what he did at Town and look what happenned there. He's a man who for me is slowly losing the plot. Yes he has had quite a bit of success. He was brilliant when be first took over but them days are long gone.

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #38 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:09:42 pm
Well I've listened to Dave Woods and I can't remember him having a pop at Ged. All he's doing his probably what he's paid to do and that is offer
match analysis As he sees it.

As for Ged there no doubting the guys knowledge of the game. IMO what's tearing the club apart are his poor man management skills. There's probably only a few on here who are privy to what went on in the dressing room after the Leigh game but by All accounts he got tore into quite a few. Is that really the way to instill beleif into a player who's confidence is already shot to pieces or would it be better to get an offending player to 1 side and offer him sound advice rather than slagging him off infront of the group.

Apparently it's exactly what he did at Town and look what happenned there. He's a man who for me is slowly losing the plot. Yes he has had quite a bit of success. He was brilliant when be first took over but them days are long gone.

Is it really Ged's bad man management? I think we need to look further up the ladder than where Ged is sitting.  If Ged really is not the man for the job (as everyone is saying) but manages to keep coaching week in week out, then should it not be the BOD or ther Director himself who show bad man management? Let's face it, if this was Barrow then Des Johnson would have kicked ass and got rid a long time ago!
Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline leaguefan06

• Academy Signing
Reply #39 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:07:07 pm
Mega570
You seem to have a good knowledge of rugby league, or say you think, so do tell why you are against Dave Woods. I haven't heard him say anything about Ged or the way he coaches at all. He is paid by bbc cumbria as a summariser and that is what i'm hearing him do.
You also say he had a fully proffesional outfit and never got promotion, when was that may I ask. Because as i'm aware he coached Castleford Tigers in 2005 and sacked many players that were already signed and replaced them with well established, good players like Adam Watene (RIP), Damien Blanch, to name just two, and they won and gained promotion to Super League. He then coached a poor Gateshead team and in the second year of their 3 yr plan managed to win the title and again sign many very talented players and gain promotion. I know him from speaking to him on different occasions and I can tell you he applied for the Whitehaven job sometime back. The club then went with someone else.
Whitehaven are a very good club and have many good players playing for them. Ged has done a very good job with the team over the years, and hopefully they will improve this year. Watching them a number of times this year they only need a bit of tweaking here and there.

I will be interested to hear your responses.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #40 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:27:12 pm
I have to add my weight behind BKM, Enoch and Jayforhaven and a few others on here.

Ged is not perfect, calling for Woods just because he comments on radio is a pathetic standard of reasoning, claiming Ged is repeating his Workington team destruction is equally daft.

First things first, if Stokes can get hold of decent players he can produce a team. This has been pointed out by both haven supporters and the town ones who presently decry him. Haven't they both already said when XXX, YYY and ZZZ there were in their team Ged got results, and when they left he didn't.

Well there was a good reason behind both poorly made points, Whitehaven certainly have not given Ged the funds to restrengthen the team , and neither did town. Both for the same reason, they were broke. Ged cannot produce wine from water I'm afraid. 

I ignore the town supporters who presently jump on Geds back, as they have a vested interest in doing so. My advice ignore them. Some haven supporters who cry out on here for him to go also have a vested interest in calling for his dismissal, some never wanted him, and others have grown to use our present position to resent the fact that he came from town, but generally they didn't have that much faith anyway.

Stokes may have strong opinions, but boy o boy doesn't every good coach you ever knew. The ones who didn't are no longer in coaching I'm afraid. Pick your sport, the scenario fits all of them.

Get real, the people who ARE most responsible for our current position are (in no particular order) :-

The BOD, for not finding a way of funding our necessary team building over the closed season.

The people of Whitehaven, for not turning out in sufficient numbers and supporting their team.

The current crop of first players, (not all of them by the way), for using our current position to try to 'nail' the coach, and in doing so cover their own failings and help alienate  what little support we have left as a club.

The players again, who refuse to do even the most basic things right on the field, thus screwing up every match, often so early on that the rest of the game is little more than a pointless lost cause anyway.

The coaching staff for not getting the off field and on field discipline sorted out, which would have put an early end to some of the goings on mentioned above.

Ged, for not standing his ground during the closed season, and making the BOD see some sense, by allow him to recruit at least a couple of strong minded players who could set a good and professional example to our poor performing, poor club men who seek to take advantage of the present position.

I feel I need to mention Ralph Calvin some where along the line here too, as he is the only BOD member with a true RL background, and who was brought in for that reason, to help the BOD sort some of the above out. Where has Ralph been in all of this, what has he said / done, what has been his input. I honestly don't know, other than being able to say I have seen nothing emanate from his BOD membership relating to the obvious RL improvements required.

Not knocking him, simply pointing out that he is in a better position than anyone else to get the none financial aspects of club performance onto an even keel.

So going back to my first point of blame :- The BOD, for not finding a way of funding our necessary team building over the closed season.

If we have no money, then we can do no more than than work together as a team, group of supporters and coaching staff to make the very best of what we have. THAT HAS TO START WITH THE PLAYERS WHO GED PUTS ON THE FIELD GIVING OF THEIR VERY BEST ALL OF THE TIME, IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES AND IN EVERY GAME. If they can't find a reason for doing it for their coach, then they should be finding a reason for doing it for the rest of the coaching staff, the supporters, the club, the badge and their own professional self respect.

If they can't find at least one or two reasons in that lot then switch the lights off, close the gates and lets all get on with life without Whitehaven RLFC, because all is lost I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 03:29:26 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #41 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:39:37 pm
if mr woods is such a good coach why has no club snapped him up ???

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #42 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:43:38 pm
Quantity over quality has been chosen by the coach, how can anyone claim ged hasn't been given enough when we have an army for a coaching staff and over 40 players signed on our books???????

He has wasted good money, money we scarcely have on his tat signings!!!

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #43 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:03:00 pm

So going back to my first point of blame :- The BOD, for not finding a way of funding our necessary team building over the closed season.

Part of that is because they are still paying monies owed for the previous regimes. We are paying back debts, if we didnt pay these debts, we wouldnt have a club. Would you rather the BODs didnt pay these and put the money into recruitment?

You need a club, before you can have a team.

HW

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #44 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:03:22 pm
JD I look for better than that from you. We have to run two teams, 17*2 = 34.

We need a few over that to cover injuries. Add 10 = 44.

We don't need top class players for reserve strength, but we do look for players with some potential. So not all are immediate Champ 1 standard.....yet.

No money, so you have to bring in what you can get, with a bit of experience and potential. Hence Skee, Govin and our mystery New Zealander.

Duel registration does not work for the likes of us and town, so the best you can negotiate is Amour and now young Gregg back.

You manage to retain the vast majority of the team who almost got us to the grand final last year. You add the few you can. You even talk travellers Jackson, Thornly and Gorsky into staying.

You try a few local old hands from town, (bad decision as it was, but that's in the past now so get over it ........Dawes looks OK at present anyway).

You blood a few youngsters (Farrar, Foxes, Benson), and the majority start to look the part .... if only the team were functioning.

We get Mort on loan, doesn't look a bad move.

Lots of our players get paid nowt or very little or are on a play / play and win basis. So many of the 44 or so we have signed on will not be getting much at all.

Not sure the great Woods (who hasn't had a RL coaching job offer for over 15 months now), or the RL version of an Alex Fergusson or Capello could have done much more given our dire financial position / BOD short sightedness.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 04:11:31 pm by cbandg01 »