HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

to all you historians

Offline gibsonspiesandoxo

• First Team Backup
on: 31 Jul 2010, 09:27:30 am
when did we last win anything with the reserve team?, was it when the great dick tiger huddart played for us?.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2010, 09:37:57 am
when did we last win anything with the reserve team?, was it when the great dick tiger huddart played for us?.
i think we won the lancashire shield early 70s before my time billy and lost in a final at widnes i think in the 80s :nod: :nod: :nod:
born and bred haven.

Justonelittlepoint

Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2010, 09:52:38 am
Lancashire shield Winners in 1955-56 and 1970-71 Dick played in both finals...one before he left for Saints and again when he returned to Haven 

Haven have also won the Division Two Alliance in 1987-88
and the Division Two Academy  in 1996 (Think this was when Mark Cox played for GB)

and Shaun is right we also lost to Widnes in the 80's,think there have been couple other times we have lost in a final too

Offline gibsonspiesandoxo

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2010, 10:36:59 am
was it workington we played in the 1970 final something rings a bell it was them, and was it over 2 legs? and on a wednesday night, and the big question is  did we still have gibsons pies and oxo, i think we did

Justonelittlepoint

Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2010, 12:34:46 pm
On a much happier note, while the first team struggled against such strong opposition throughout that season, The 'A' team were enjoying a highly successfull time , winning regularly and playing very entertaining rugby, It was the perfect antitode for fans suffering the seniors hard times, and crowds for the 'A'team matches  regularly approached 1000 mark and werent much less than first team attaendances by the latter part of the season.Bawdens boys brought joy and a rare piece of silverware, when they won the Lancashire Shield on May 12th 1971 a 1700  crowd turning out on a Wednesday night at the Recre to see them beat Workington 14-0 in the second leg. Haven had already won a narrow lead in the first leg at Derwent park.

Team that night....Ron Barnes, Joe Spedding, Brian Rose,Ken Todd,George Hanlon,George Mather,Harry Maddison,John Pringle,Neil Patterson,Dick Huddart,Matt Glaister,Bob McClean,Ray Martin
Subs Ronnie Proud and John Wilson

Gibsons Pies and Oxo all served from the green hut by the gates :)