HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Stokes going nowhere.

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #15 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:23:20 pm
Norm..a reasoned discussion, even when it involves disagreement, is not necessarily a "fight". It may be simply a discussion.

I happen to believe that Ms. Stokes should be insulated from our anger regarding Coach Stoke's obvious underperformance this year and given space as a spouse. Flannerz does not, as I view his statement, agree with me. I'm more interested in his reasoning as to why spouse's are "open hunting season" in Haven due to their partner's actions.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #16 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:27:34 pm
Norm..a reasoned discussion, even when it involves disagreement, is not necessarily a "fight". It may be simply a discussion.

I happen to believe that Ms. Stokes should be insulated from our anger regarding Coach Stoke's obvious underperformance this year and given space as a spouse. Flannerz does not, as I view his statement, agree with me. I'm more interested in his reasoning as to why spouse's are "open hunting season" in Haven due to their partner's actions.

Woah woah hang on. I'm not for one second saying that it is right for fans to have a pop at Mrs Stokes, and I never have done, and it is wrong (lets clear that up once and for all). The matter I'm talking about is completely different and I have sent you a private message regarding it. To be honest, the fact you are oblivious to what I'm talking about surprises me somewhat.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #17 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:39:53 pm
Surely the first mention of Mrs Stokes was a simple question as to why she was taking photos of fans shouting at her husband.    And again, surely that could have been answered with a simple answer instead of everyone going out on a limb!!!!!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #18 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:44:05 pm
Flannerz:

I believe I'm well aware of the point you are making :) . And as you are well aware I am an advocate regarding your position.

However no progress is made if we agree to indulge with the negative of others at the expense of those we feel less than charitable towards.

We are capable of more.

To be blunt..Do I wish for another Coach for the team?..absolutely. Will I accept his wife being raised as an object for mockery when she is simply doing what every man would wish for...absolutely not.

I've taken an extreme amount of critical commentary from others regarding my advocacy for fan groups, and I'm more than willing to take it and continue to work towards goals that I believe are progressive to the Club...but I simply will not accept that our Coach's spouse is an appropriate target for individuals disagreeing with Ged's direction.

I expect Haven fans to be Gentlemen.

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #19 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:51:42 pm
mrs stokes should be left out off fans abuse , the supporters gripe is with ged not debs .

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #20 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:53:18 pm
Flannerz:

I believe I'm well aware of the point you are making :) . And as you are well aware I am an advocate regarding your position.

However no progress is made if we agree to indulge with the negative of others at the expense of those we feel less than charitable towards.

We are capable of more.

To be blunt..Do I wish for another Coach for the team?..absolutely. Will I accept his wife being raised as an object for mockery when she is simply doing what every man would wish for...absolutely not.

I've taken an extreme amount of critical commentary from others regarding my advocacy for fan groups, and I'm more than willing to take it and continue to work towards goals that I believe are progressive to the Club...but I simply will not accept that our Coach's spouse is an appropriate target for individuals disagreeing with Ged's direction.

I expect Haven fans to be Gentlemen.

Agreed, as long as Mrs Stokes actions weren't aimed in a negative or derogatory way towards the fans (I've no idea what happened exactly as I wasn't there). But yes, she  absolutelyshouldn't be taking flack for poor showings, we agree on that :)

However, and I will be blunt here, to quote you...

To be blunt..Do I wish for another Coach for the team?..absolutely.

In any other club, Ged would have been shown the door before now. In as simple a way as you are allowed to say...why can we not sack Ged Stokes based upon poor performances? I ask this purely as it's on the mind's of virtually every Haven fan out there.

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #21 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:55:23 pm
If Mrs Stokes doesnt want to be abused, maybe she should take a step back and not abuse people herself who are RIGHTLY abusing Mr Stokes. Or is a lady abusing people ok Mrs Razz?

Offline Norm Deplume

• Academy Star
Reply #22 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:56:05 pm
I think the chairman's wife calling for a new coach when the chairman is backing him to the hilt is a story in itself -- lets hope for your sake that Alan Irving isn't still an avid reader of this forum! :-[

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #23 on: 08 Aug 2010, 11:58:47 pm
If Mrs Stokes doesnt want to be abused, maybe she should take a step back and not abuse people herself who are RIGHTLY abusing Mr Stokes. Or is a lady abusing people ok Mrs Razz?

To be honest, I probably dislike Ged Stokes' more than most, but abuse is never right. Questioning his professionalism and judgement as a coach based on performances is most certainly acceptable as it's part and parcel of the job. However, you've surely got to draw the line at abuse.

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #24 on: 09 Aug 2010, 12:30:04 am
Norm Deplume:

Please..stop the hysteria, your drama queen position is noted.

On this board I'm just a member..I get to simply engage with other fans. No drama involved. I registered with my real name as a point of honor, but the only "news" that is exposed is from members giving their ideas, and what actions we can produce.

The moment the press reports on my engagement on this board, and inhibits my abililty to be just a fan and engage with fans...gosh, that would just be sad. Perhaps not for a few individuals..but for me..just sad.

Offline Haven Lad

• First Team Backup
Reply #25 on: 09 Aug 2010, 03:00:33 am
Im sure there was a reasonable explination for Mrs Stokes taking the pictures  ::)  Perhaps she was taking pictures of the fans to try and track them down and ask them if they want a game before next weeks game at cougar park as its about time there was some passion injected into the team. (joke of course) On a serious note tho, Mrs Stokes should be left out of the Critics, she is just being a wife and supporting her husband, although i do think she brings this upon herself, but as i say... shes just being a honourable wife and understandably doesnt want the fans shouting all sorts at her husband.
Whitehaven 2010....Heres to the future.

Justonelittlepoint

Reply #26 on: 09 Aug 2010, 07:07:14 am
I find it very very sad that as a club this is how low we have sank.That everyone is at each others throats.I heard several arguments yesterday among fans for various things.The happy times of 5 years ago seem so far away
I find it very sad that a coachs wife has to go onto the field after game and take photos of fans who are expressing a view- For what to have them banned ? These people were long long time fans and they werent shouting abuse, They were asking for him to do the honourable thing and leave.
Again look at how low things have sunk too! Is this what we want as a club?

Back to the original subject.....It looks like the club is stuck between a rock and a hard place and we have to find a solution.
IMO we may not be able to afford to pay him off, But does that mean he has to remain as coach ?
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2010, 08:18:42 am by Justonelittlepoint »

Offline Norm Deplume

• Academy Star
Reply #27 on: 09 Aug 2010, 07:16:39 am
Mrs Razz,

I'm not saying you shouldn't exchange views with supporters, or that you don't have a right to consider yourself a supporter, you've done lots of good for the club (and that's only the bits we know about).

All I'm saying is that you are taking a risk in that you use your own name and make a comment like that about the coach and the press, rightly or wrongly, are likely to pick up on it -- this is a public forum.

I'd hate to see your enthusiasm dampened by an article or even a throw away remark in Alan Irving's Eye on the Ball, that is all.

And finally I actually agree with your original post 100 per cent -- whatever any of us thinks of Ged professionally it is no fault of his wife's and she should be free from any abuse on here or anywhere else. In much the same way as it would be wrong to question you as to why Dick gave Ged a two year deal -- it isn't your fault.

« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2010, 07:48:32 am by Norm Deplume »

Justonelittlepoint

Reply #28 on: 09 Aug 2010, 08:18:01 am
Problem 1 ...one coach on X amount of money we cant remove
Problem 2 ....One General managers job going spare next season the bulk of which is funded by RFL.

Is the solution here giving Stokes Nigel Beatys job ?
He keeps his job and his livelyhood, we can then get a new coach , fans hopefully will return and perhaps we may turn a corner ?

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 09 Aug 2010, 08:46:25 am
One thing I did notice was whenever the abuse started and there were a couple of times things hot pretty vocal the tannoy announcer came on shouting down the winning halftime draw ticket + one or two ther things. Was this planned to drown out the hecclars