HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Nicky Hawkins - played for Whitehaven in the 1960's.

Offline accrington lawrence

• Academy Signing
Does anyone remember Nicky Hawkins? He played for Whitehaven in the late 1950's & 1960's, then I believe he emigrated to New Zealand. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have any photo's or newspaper articles about him? Would love to know more.

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 02 May 2011, 11:41:53 am
I hope someone remembers Nicky Hawkins. He was born in the 1940's, went to school in Whitehaven, lived in Kells, in the 1950's & 60's, then emigrated to New Zealand with his wife (nee Irwin I think). I was told he played rugby very succesfully for Whitehaven. His dad also Nick Hawkins was a miner and his mum, Alice, lived in Ennerdale Terrace. I'm searching for him on behalf of family who want to get in touch. Any leads will be most gratefully received. Thanks.

Offline JHs Lad

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 02 May 2011, 12:22:44 pm
Nick Hawkins was Dai Hawkins during his spell with Whitehaven.  Dai signed from Abertillery RU in the 1961/62 season.  He made 11 appearances on the left wing scoring one try.  Dai played 2 further games in 62/63 season before I believe returning to Wales.  I remember him being a popular and enthusiastic player.

• Academy Signing
Reply #3 on: 03 May 2011, 12:09:15 am
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately Your Dai isn't my Nicky! He was a Northern lad born & bred in Whitehaven :(
Hopefully someone will remember him.
Again, many thanks
Lawrence

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 03 May 2011, 12:36:06 am
He May have played for Whitehaven RU but not for Whitehaven RL :-[ :-[

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 03 May 2011, 12:42:10 am
He may have played foe Whitehaven RU but not for Whitehaven RL :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 03 May 2011, 10:57:12 am
My Dad knew him, they used to get the last bus home from town to Kells together. He said he didn't play for Whitehaven, possibly for Kells, he can't remember. Doesn't know what happened to him though. Sorry, can't help more.

The club would have a record of who had played for them I would think but my dad was sure Nicky didn't. Said only Dai Hawkins played - apparently he took the club to court.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2011, 10:59:20 am by random2 »

Offline 25yarder

• Academy Signing
Reply #7 on: 03 May 2011, 06:05:06 pm
I maintain the club records and can confirm that Dai Hawkins was the only player with that surname to have played 1st team rugby for Whitehaven RLFC.

Offline red white and blue

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 03 May 2011, 07:56:07 pm
hello 25 yarderperhaps you can help with this puzzler,i found an old town fanzine
from a few year back ,and someone was asking did anyone ever play as a proffesional for both reds and town,no one could come up with an answer but someone i spoke to a few years back suggested that former reds centre forward
ron mcgarry once play for whitehaven,any ideas in your records.
thanks

Offline 25yarder

• Academy Signing
Reply #9 on: 05 May 2011, 07:28:09 pm
hello 25 yarderperhaps you can help with this puzzler,i found an old town fanzine
from a few year back ,and someone was asking did anyone ever play as a proffesional for both reds and town,no one could come up with an answer but someone i spoke to a few years back suggested that former reds centre forward
ron mcgarry once play for whitehaven,any ideas in your records.
thanks

No record of him ever playing 1st team for Haven

• Academy Signing
Reply #10 on: 05 May 2011, 11:02:56 pm
Thanks so much everyone for your help.
Does Kells have a rugby team? Could you tell me what the RU team is called?
Cheers.