HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Johnston issues financial warning

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:46:43 am
It's a real worry for all Barrow fans at the moment.
The fact is that the game below Super League is dying.  80% of Championship clubs have seen lower crowds this season. Leigh's Chairman pulled out leaving them in trouble, Featherstone's Chairman is also close to walking, Widnes are propped up by one man and how many Championsip clubs have gone into administration in the last 3 or 4 years?  The majority I believe.

Never mind though.  Dave Woods hailed the Exiles game a 'great success', so all is well.

Crowds are deffo dying was on a site the other day and in 2007 over 5 teams in champ 1 where averaging over a thousand and most champ clubs where between 2000 - 3500 the games up the **** creek

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2011, 10:33:54 am
People aren't daft when 99% of championship clubs have no chance of attaining SL status they'll pick & choose there games. To be honest I get more enjoyment now of watching my nephew play junior amateur rugby.
Powers that be are killing RL in the championship.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 10:38:15 am by Barramarra »
the only way is up.

Offline IWUZTHERE

• Academy Star
Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2011, 01:34:45 pm
think there's more than championship  clubs  that are in the mire, some sl. clubs must be sailing close to the wind too.the powers that be, must be brought to task by all rl. club chairmen,instead of all this expansion ism nonense. get back to proper leagues,and stop trying to make it a national  sport which it never is going to be. the r.f.u. must be laughing their socks off. :nod:

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2011, 02:50:59 pm
think there's more than championship  clubs  that are in the mire, some sl. clubs must be sailing close to the wind too.the powers that be, must be brought to task by all rl. club chairmen,instead of all this expansion ism nonense. get back to proper leagues,and stop trying to make it a national  sport which it never is going to be. the r.f.u. must be laughing their socks off. :nod:
Dear IWT could not agree with you more if one aspect of the modern game [apart from not using the rules that is] that is staring the RFL hierachy in the face is the question "why are so many clubs going into administration" they have to shoulder the blame in no small part. Lets take Barrow as a possible example [I hope not] but they spent a lot won honours but then comes the question "what do we do now" why can't RFL see that without the possibility of promotion to SL the lower clubs literally have no reason to exist. My own feeling is we should have SL and a division 2 one up one down, clubs would not need to panic they could build up a good team over time, the division 2 would improve vastly, the demoted SL side would have to fight to get back in but that would not be surely to daunting a task for them. The fixtures need sorting as the the one we have is a shambles. RFL make all these polically correct noises but I feel they have no or little regard to the man on the terrace.

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2011, 02:56:38 pm
i can remember saying on here that considering barrows investment the crowds just were not turning up and i was shot down by barrow fans.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2011, 02:59:21 pm
ye because their like you and hate the truth ;)
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:05:11 pm
drivel drivel drivel. no change from you choccy mate

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:13:08 pm
consistency marra you could do with some,as could des johnstone
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:20:24 pm
Go head choccy take it away from the topic in hand.
the only way is up.

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:39:44 pm
Like a 5 year old ignore him and he will get bored!!!

There are many on here who could say I told you so to the barrow fans, but after suffering like we did last year I'm sure most Haven fans hope for the best for barrow and that they can redduce costs and get through this tough spell
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:53:48 pm
Cheers Jammy.
Certainly think the RFL need to start looking at having 2 divisions again & the incentive to get promoted to SL.
the only way is up.

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:54:38 pm
It's easy for all the usual suspects on here saying 'I told you all along' etc etc, but the fact is that if the players had been putting it in more this season then the crowds would still be around the 2,000+ mark and all would be reasonably well.

People have been saying 'it'll all end in tears' for 4 or 5 years and it hasn't happened yet.

Plenty of things could have been done better, but we are where we are.  The good thing is that the club has a very good 'core' of fans which should take us through any hard times (should they occur).

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2011, 04:51:38 pm
It's easy for all the usual suspects on here saying 'I told you all along' etc etc, but the fact is that if the players had been putting it in more this season then the crowds would still be around the 2,000+ mark and all would be reasonably well.

People have been saying 'it'll all end in tears' for 4 or 5 years and it hasn't happened yet.

Plenty of things could have been done better, but we are where we are.  The good thing is that the club has a very good 'core' of fans which should take us through any hard times (should they occur).

I wouldn't say 'all the usual people', it's just the minority. We all may support the same club but we don't all p*ss in the same pot.  Let's hope things don't go the same for Barrow as it has for other clubs.
Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2011, 04:53:10 pm
Choccy you keep going on about Des Johnstons input at Barrow but just stop and think where Haven would be right at this moment if it were not for the input from Mr and Mrs Raaz?    You wouldn't be half the team you are now without their input and efforts, so try being a little more realistic.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2011, 05:29:18 pm
Choccy you keep going on about Des Johnstons input at Barrow but just stop and think where Haven would be right at this moment if it were not for the input from Mr and Mrs Raaz?    You wouldn't be half the team you are now without their input and efforts, so try being a little more realistic.
Not to mention the biggest Sugar Daddy of them all - the Nuclear Industry (who are paying for 75% of the proposed new stadium!).