HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Promotion-Relegation, Salary Cap..Your thoughts

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
I'm facing one of those work evenings due to time differences...and noticed some interesting comments on another thread regarding these two issues which I really enjoyed.

I would truly enjoy hearing from fans of ALL three Cumbrian teams about this issue.

Personally, I like the idea of a salary cap. It prevents individuals from coming in, overly investing for promotion, and if unsuccessful, leaving a team and most importantly its fans, to face the consequences. To me, and you may feel free to disagree, a salary cap makes sense.

I also think automatic promotion and relegation is appropriate. It creates a dynamic amongst all leagues that if they achieve being the best, both on and off the pitch, there is promise for reward and, obviously, the fear that if you don't keep up your level of performance you may find yourself in another division.

But I'm just a woman, what do I know??? :)

I believe these two issues are at the core of how Rugby League progresses and would love to read experienced fans opinions while doing my bits and bobs in the States :)

Offline gibsonspiesandoxo

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:40:11 pm
all great minds think alike jd unless that is you have had a lobotomy then you are placed in a seat of power at rugby league headquarters.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:45:29 pm
Of course you are just a woman so what are you doing out of that kitchen, JD ???   (Just joking)

I believe a salary cap is a good thing especially for our lower league clubs but I think it could be better by allowing clubs to work to a percentage of earned income for salaries.    That would do away with what you suggest where people can come in and overly invest in an attempt to get promotion and maybe leave the club financially stretched if they fail.

P & R is also in my book an absolute must at all levels of our game.   Until the Championship is a top rated competition in its own right then clubs at our level will struggle because the top prize is ...... to be the best club outside of Super League.   Then what?   Oh, yes, try to do it again the following season. 

How's your other sport coming along????
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline gibsonspiesandoxo

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:45:45 pm
following on this is what every club should achieve for the excitement of promotion into pastures new and believe it or not the excitement of avoiding relegation i am sure you would have 99.9 % of supporters from all clubs right behind you on your post.

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:47:41 pm
Well thank you Frankie Boyle  :D

Seriously...what are you thoughts? To me much of this is common sense, but its obvious there is much diversity of opinion out there.

...and I'm up for awhile and really interested.

(this was in reply to gibsons... message earlier)

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:47:55 pm
Personally im totally against salary caps and all for P+R as it used to be . The difference between the caps in all 3 leagues is certainly not a level playing field . Teams like barrow and widnes certainly have wealthy backers and in my opinion could do as well as half the SL clubs if promoted . The salary cap was set up to make SL a more level playing field and it hasn,t as its the same old clubs winning the trophies year in year out . As for the championship the 300k cap makes it a level playing field but its level because the bigger clubs like widnes leigh fax and say barrow get brought down to the other teams level when due to wealthy owners or sponsors they could play to a higher cap . But all thats happening at the moment due to no P+R is fans are not going to games and lots of clubs are going tits up...And i forgot SL was gonna make Great Britain world beaters what a joke we where closer to the aussies and kiwis in the early nineties long before SL....Rant over

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2011, 10:01:24 pm
Keith:

Interesting comments.

If I'm understanding your statement correctly that may not be a negative. Relating the salary cap to income generated through other avenues would be a motivating message to Clubs.

My other sport is set aside at the moment only because the reaction to the 9's has, I believe, given pause to all three Clubs as to what we can do in Cumbria. More work, but very good for Rugby League.

I will now hurry back to the kitchen...:)

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2011, 02:06:43 am
An interesting experiment...not that successful.

Perhaps my concept of going to the fans is not that fruitful, but thank you to the few that replied...and keep your eye on what Haven is offering in the future. Rather positive :)

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2011, 10:26:18 am
I would think you may get a few more replies as the day/week goes on. Wasn't on my computer last night so couldn't join in the discussion.

I'll just focus on promotion and relegation as I'm not too bothered about the salary cap. P&R should be a fundamental aspect of any game/sport, so that if you win something (i.e. the league/playoff) then you should be rewarded with a chance to prove yourself against a higher class of oposition. Likewise if your not good enough you should be relegated. All this following the Aussie way isn't for me. Its been railroaded into OUR sport by people with objectives outside what I see as the heartbeat of our game (clubs with history being shunted out in place of parachuting clubs in to sell more tv subscriptions). It wasn't that long ago in SL when the best games of the season featured clubs that where fighting tooth and nail to stay in the league. These seemed to be the featured games on tv most weeks because they where exciting. The same tv company appears to have knocked these on the head. Nobody is now in fear of losing their SL status, so we now get mind numbing games halfway through a season where some teams have absolutely nothing to play for and it shows. Somebody should tell them that we want teams really having a go, see players wear their hearts on their sleeves like supporters have to and not just roll over because at the end of the day its a mid table game where there's nothing at stake.

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:33:42 am
recre:

Am I right in thinking that football operates under the promotion/relegation scheme?

Its not an issue in the States as our sports operate as either major pro-sports or as parts of college programmes. There are minor league baseball teams but they all operate under a pro-team.

The tiered independent pro teams such as those in the U.K. are quite different.

Is the fans reaction (as a whole) supportive of the change over to the present scheme? Do they see positives?

Offline Johnno

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:48:09 am
I would think you may get a few more replies as the day/week goes on. Wasn't on my computer last night so couldn't join in the discussion.

I'll just focus on promotion and relegation as I'm not too bothered about the salary cap. P&R should be a fundamental aspect of any game/sport, so that if you win something (i.e. the league/playoff) then you should be rewarded with a chance to prove yourself against a higher class of oposition. Likewise if your not good enough you should be relegated. All this following the Aussie way isn't for me. Its been railroaded into OUR sport by people with objectives outside what I see as the heartbeat of our game (clubs with history being shunted out in place of parachuting clubs in to sell more tv subscriptions). It wasn't that long ago in SL when the best games of the season featured clubs that where fighting tooth and nail to stay in the league. These seemed to be the featured games on tv most weeks because they where exciting. The same tv company appears to have knocked these on the head. Nobody is now in fear of losing their SL status, so we now get mind numbing games halfway through a season where some teams have absolutely nothing to play for and it shows. Somebody should tell them that we want teams really having a go, see players wear their hearts on their sleeves like supporters have to and not just roll over because at the end of the day its a mid table game where there's nothing at stake.

Agree with all of that. Just can't see how salary cap can be effectively monitored, but feel that lack of promotion & relegation will eventually kill off the professional game below Super League. My personal opinion is that if we don't get into SL (either on our own or as part of a combined West Cumbrian team) more & more teams will get into a financial mess & disappear (eg Blackpool) & where will that leave us?

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:29:32 pm
I want to thank each individual that has given me their thoughts on a question that was placed on the forum on a whim, and thank you also to those who emailed me regarding their thoughts.

I like knowing what the supporters think about the direction of the game and the issues it faces. The fans of all three Cumbrian teams are pretty amazing. :)

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:50:25 pm
Am I right in thinking that football operates under the promotion/relegation scheme?

Yes

Its not an issue in the States as our sports operate as either major pro-sports or as parts of college programmes. There are minor league baseball teams but they all operate under a pro-team.

The tiered independent pro teams such as those in the U.K. are quite different.

Think thats just a difference in what you're used to or brought up with as 'normal' in how sport operates.

Is the fans reaction (as a whole) supportive of the change over to the present scheme? Do they see positives?

I cant say that anyone I know or who I have spoken with agree's with what has happened over the past few years. Again that could be down to the previous answer.

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2011, 02:06:36 pm
I think the only way forward in west cumbria would be for us and town to merge (waiting to get shot down now ) and for barrow to set up a new identity as say south lakes coz as we are now were just gonna be average champ teams at best

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2011, 02:10:21 pm
I think the only way forward in west cumbria would be for us and town to merge (waiting to get shot down now ) and for barrow to set up a new identity as say south lakes coz as we are now were just gonna be average champ teams at best
spacey cant happen marra :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
born and bred haven.