HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Promotion-Relegation, Salary Cap..Your thoughts

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #30 on: 20 Jul 2011, 06:36:57 pm
it also doesn't meen it would be a success either, the same if Haven or Town got there now, and with the redhall changing there minds with rules its a case of watch this space

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #31 on: 20 Jul 2011, 06:47:49 pm
Promotion and relegation to SL had to be done away with to allow teams the opportunity to play and build a squad / team / club in tranquility.

Without that tranquility, the strong and well established teams would simply get stronger and more established, and the weaker teams would at best become yoyo clubs, and at worst drive themselves to the wall financially chasing and re-chasing the utopia of SL.

Closing the trap door to SL has certainly helped a number of clubs stabilise, (Cas and Catalans for example), and has even aided Cruisaders hang on in there. It will also help Widnes when they go up next year.

However promo and relegation between Champ and Cham 1 is (in my opinion) a different matter.

Offline TheCollier

• First Team Backup
Reply #32 on: 20 Jul 2011, 06:55:38 pm
I think a Cumbrian side would get the support of the RFL.

The structures are already there we just need the facilities, coaches and people with experience and passion driving the club.

If Catalans can be a success why cant Cumbria?

By preventing promotion from the Championships and introducing a franchise system the RFL are attempting to strengthen the Teams within adopting an American/Australian approach. This however is not to the benefit of those stuck in the nether regions of the Championships.

The Dual reg system has obviously been brought in (and our supposed 'friends' at Leeds Rhinos are major supporters of this) to create a 'feeder club' system.

Until the RFL is run by people who dont have a vested interest in any of the clubs in SL we will have no chance. The Lancastrians and Yorkshiremen will always look after No 1 with a few 'expansion clubs' to apease the paymasters @ Sky.

Remember the RFL Executive who commented after the recent Cumbria v England game when asked ' what about Cumbria for SL after that showing' he replied 'steady on!'

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 20 Jul 2011, 09:01:44 pm
If the RFL wanted SL in Cumbria, they would move heaven and earth to establish it in Carlisle.....

a city base
a population base
accessible
linked to a future NE francise expansion (A66) and Scotland (M74)
a fresh start .... away from Workington / Whitehaven tribes
greater chance of sponsorship

etc.

Try that on for a conversation piece !!!!!!

« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2011, 09:15:04 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #34 on: 20 Jul 2011, 09:17:18 pm
If the RFL wanted SL in Cumbria, they would move heaven and earth to establish it in Carlisle.....

a city base
a population base
accessible
linked to a future NE francise expansion (A66) and Scotland (M74)
a fresh start .... away from Workington / Whitehaven tribes
greater chance of sponsorship

etc.

Try that on !!!!!!

I think you are putting the cart before the horse there cbandg01.    It is not, and never has been, up to the RFL to either want or be willing to have a SL team in Cumbria.    It is up to the people of Cumbria to take that initiative and then seek the help of the RFL to set up that club/team.

SL expansion clubs in Wales, France and London have all begun with a desire and a will of a group or other organisation in the area where these clubs were eventually set up.   The RFL didn't decide off the top of their heads to start clubs in these areas and they were all areas where there had been some previous rugby league played.   Areas where there was already traces of junior RL development.

If Cumbria is waiting for the RFL to set up a SL club here then we will be waiting forever, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2011, 09:20:04 pm by Keith »
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 20 Jul 2011, 09:26:59 pm
I accept some of what you say Keith, but they and Sky deliver the franchise, and if we want it in Cumbria, then THEY can make it as CONDITIONAL as THEY choose.

'Conditional' ..........................then see my original post.

Conditional also means oiling the wheels within the wheels too. And there are only two oil cans in play I'm afraid !!!!!!
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2011, 09:29:23 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2011, 09:33:14 pm
What advantage would there be in placing a Cumbrian SL club in Carlisle?     Just because they have a large population and are on the M6 motorway is not a reason for success.   If that was so why aren't London/ Harlequins not getting at least 10,000 crwods every week?

Why take such a venture there because some locals can't or won't work together in our area?
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2011, 09:53:42 pm
I'm off to bed now Keith, but.....

You pose a question which answers itself in your last sentence and....

Business logic and the well known suspect, and biased, RLF logic are totally different from your and most others locally applied logic I'm afraid.

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #38 on: 21 Jul 2011, 08:24:27 am
The structures are already there we just need the facilities, coaches and people with experience and passion driving the club.

What a throw awy comment that is. We just need the facilities, coaches and people with experience and passion. That's a whole lot of 'just'. You've also forgot (which a lot seem to have thrown to the back of the debate) the major over-riding factor in all of this will be 'MONEY'. There aint a lot of this money thing about at the moment and I can't see a knight in shining armour coming over the hill and helping out with that. It's alright having plans and visions of the future but it all boils down to cold hard cash.

Offline TheCollier

• First Team Backup
Reply #39 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:06:54 am

The RFL have stated that should any of the Championships teams merge they would recieve double the funding for three years. That would put us in a position to meet the 'on field' criteria to apply for a Franchise. I believe the RFL would move us aiutomatically into the Championship without haveing to start at the bottom.

The new Stadium would be built and with modifications would meet the criteria required - something that would be achieveable over a 3 year period. A few games a season would be taken 'on the road' to build support around the County, perhaps even venturing into SW Scotland.

A successful team would have a higher profile in the game (eg on sky, in newspapers ect..) this would attract a greater level of sponsorship from Cumbrian based businesses which would be reluctant to ever put money behind Town or Haven and perhaps some from wider afield.

Merchandise sales, season tickets sales and lottery style subscriptions would all increase as there would be a county wide population from which to draw from.

Offline IWUZTHERE

• Academy Star
Reply #40 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:43:18 am
sport england have cut their grant to the rlf. cos there is less participants playing the game.

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #41 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:53:46 am
Still a lot of ifs buts and maybe's in there I'm afraid. Also like the idea of taking games on 'the road'  :D. Where to? Just pluck an idea out of thin air and try to fit it into your idea's, is this sustainable taking games away from this stadium that isn't even built yet and where a lot of current fans can't even agree where that should be never mind following this team in Scotland which is historically RU.
You say merchandise sales, season tickets and lottery subs would go up. Can't see that either, money is tight, everywhere!!! Have you not noticed the prices on everything has absolutely shot up. Also a county wide population to draw on? You're talking maybe Carlisle (a small city which is football biased) and Penrith (a small town which is neither here nor there in sporting terms).

It's so easy to call people for not wanting a merger/new club to be formed but a lot of the so called logic behind wanting this can also be shot to pieces as well. Ludite or foolhardy. The choice is yours!!!

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #42 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:49:19 am

The RFL have stated that should any of the Championships teams merge they would recieve double the funding for three years. That would put us in a position to meet the 'on field' criteria to apply for a Franchise. I believe the RFL would move us aiutomatically into the Championship without haveing to start at the bottom.

The new Stadium would be built and with modifications would meet the criteria required - something that would be achieveable over a 3 year period. A few games a season would be taken 'on the road' to build support around the County, perhaps even venturing into SW Scotland.

A successful team would have a higher profile in the game (eg on sky, in newspapers ect..) this would attract a greater level of sponsorship from Cumbrian based businesses which would be reluctant to ever put money behind Town or Haven and perhaps some from wider afield.

Merchandise sales, season tickets sales and lottery style subscriptions would all increase as there would be a county wide population from which to draw from.
the collier if your not part of the board ask your mates if you have any what they think of a merger. ask them at game sunday what response you will get. :shake: :shake: :shake:
born and bred haven.

Offline TheCollier

• First Team Backup
Reply #43 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:53:38 am
Games could be played in Barrow, Carlisle, Penrith, Kendal, Dumfries. It doesnt matter if they only attend 2 games a season and buy a shirt, there still something gained.

I think you'd be surprised at how many people in Carlisle watch Super League.

What would you rather Whitehaven do, aspire to nothing while watching local talent wasted while the lucky few are picked off by SL clubs?

I think you'd be surprised how many of the more inteligent supporters within our following would back a merger.

We will never get in SL alone- to think we ever will is foolhardy!

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #44 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:07:31 am
Games could be played in Barrow, Carlisle, Penrith, Kendal, Dumfries. It doesnt matter if they only attend 2 games a season and buy a shirt, there still something gained.

I think you'd be surprised at how many people in Carlisle watch Super League.

What would you rather Whitehaven do, aspire to nothing while watching local talent wasted while the lucky few are picked off by SL clubs?

I think you'd be surprised how many of the more inteligent supporters within our following would back a merger.

We will never get in SL alone- to think we ever will is foolhardy!

If theres a merger we just want it to be west cumbria so couple of games in carlisle would do