HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Promotion-Relegation, Salary Cap..Your thoughts

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #45 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:13:30 am
this thread aint about mergers its about people expressing a view of promotion and relegation and also salary caps THERE AINT GOING TO BE A MERGER :witch:
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #46 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:22:28 am
People keep talking about a merger and you can either bury your head in the sand or you can talk about the pro's and con's in a sensible way.    I am against a merger because of all the excess baggage that always gets in the way of reasonable thinking on the subject, others may see things differently, so be it.

The Collier - you are obviously in favour of a merger but what if Tesco at Workington decide to extend their current store and purchase part of Town's lease enabling them to modernise their stadium.   Would you still want the merger if the merged team were to be based at DP instead of at Whitehaven?    Therein lies the problem of any merged team unless it is at a neutral venue.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #47 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:29:05 am
Games could be played in Barrow, Carlisle, Penrith, Kendal, Dumfries. It doesnt matter if they only attend 2 games a season and buy a shirt, there still something gained.

I think you'd be surprised at how many people in Carlisle watch Super League.

What would you rather Whitehaven do, aspire to nothing while watching local talent wasted while the lucky few are picked off by SL clubs?

I think you'd be surprised how many of the more inteligent supporters within our following would back a merger.

We will never get in SL alone- to think we ever will is foolhardy!

So now the crux of your logic appears to be your only intelligent if you back a merger. Thats the one where if somebody disagree's with this merger they're classed as ludites and living in the past. I'll bypass that but it does show your debating skills are somewhat limited.

Firstly any young player could and probably would choose to go to one of the bigger clubs if they came knocking whether there's a SL team in Cumbria or not. So that isn't going to stop any talent drain, we'd still be left with those that are cast aside. Secondly I'm not one of those that think the be all and end all is entry into SL, rugby does exist outside of SL. Thirdly I don't really care how many people watch SL (on tv) in Carlisle, you need them to ATTEND which is something totally different. Attending 2 games a season isn't going to make anything sustainable and thats just a daft idea (frightenly though one which may happen as people drift away after watching your team get hammered week in week out). To be honest that catchment area you've put up there is from my point of view pie in the sky. Do you really think that you'll get people from that wide of an area coming together with a real sense of community club (thats what RL survives on and thats why it struggles in these so called expansion areas).

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #48 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:34:54 am
People keep talking about a merger and you can either bury your head in the sand or you can talk about the pro's and con's in a sensible way.    I am against a merger because of all the excess baggage that always gets in the way of reasonable thinking on the subject, others may see things differently, so be it.

The Collier - you are obviously in favour of a merger but what if Tesco at Workington decide to extend their current store and purchase part of Town's lease enabling them to modernise their stadium.   Would you still want the merger if the merged team were to be based at DP instead of at Whitehaven?    Therein lies the problem of any merged team unless it is at a neutral venue.

Nowt wrong with using both grounds if both up to spec west tigers in NRL share 2 grounds its done them no harm

Offline IWUZTHERE

• Academy Star
Reply #49 on: 21 Jul 2011, 12:19:17 pm
spacecake yer using the aussie game as a model for all and sundry to follow,where rl is a major sport down under (think there's only one state where it isn't played?)and don't forget we're followers of a breakaway sport here, we'll never compare with the ru. with both attendances  and youngsters coming into the game. please read from whence rl. came from.....A NORTHERN breakaway  game .

ca28

Reply #50 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:00:05 pm
If Haven and Town were to merge, that would give a potential of over 70,000 people to watch the side. Castleford is a sucesful SL side yet the town is a relatively small place and has a population of around 40,000. 

If we eversee a SL side in Cumbria it will be either a merged Haven/Town or a new stand alone team.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #51 on: 21 Jul 2011, 08:19:57 pm
this thread aint about mergers its about people expressing a view of promotion and relegation and also salary caps THERE AINT GOING TO BE A MERGER :witch:
going by your coach after the last game he is all for it and seems to think it may happen in the not so distant future
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #52 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:24:19 pm
Promotion and relegation to SL had to be done away with to allow teams the opportunity to play and build a squad / team / club in tranquility.

Without that tranquility, the strong and well established teams would simply get stronger and more established, and the weaker teams would at best become yoyo clubs, and at worst drive themselves to the wall financially chasing and re-chasing the utopia of SL.

Closing the trap door to SL has certainly helped a number of clubs stabilise, (Cas and Catalans for example), and has even aided Cruisaders hang on in there. It will also help Widnes when they go up next year.

However promo and relegation between Champ and Cham 1 is (in my opinion) a different matter.

I've never left a match thinking " what a lovely tranquil game" ! Cricket may be tranquil, Bowls could be, but I prefer my sport a little less 'tranquil'. Seriously though with no promotion in football Blackpool would never have been given a premier league franchise, Barnsley and Bradford before them either. As long as teams go up, try their best and use the income to strengthen for the future, even if it takes 5 yo-yo's until they are eventually strong enough then what is wrong with that?

How many people started going to Blackpool  FC games this year? lots will never go again, but some will stay, they may take their kids and this is how support grows, over time they could be a major force as they were in the past.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #53 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:53:52 am
going by your coach after the last game he is all for it and seems to think it may happen in the not so distant future
no it wont how many times :shake:
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #54 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:34:45 pm
no it wont how many times :shake:
Personally i hope it doesnt, why should it have to happen, but your coach seems to think it will and it will be West Cumbria playing at the new stadium in whitehaven
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #55 on: 24 Jul 2011, 11:19:17 am
ive had it off good authority that it aint going to happen full stop :shake: