HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Is Thorp the next to go?

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:03:45 am
Dear Jammy D, I was interested in the quote you posted above from Mr.Cunningham, of course he is p.....g in the wind the solution is not simple as he would have us believe. The problem is how governments address the balance between Keynesian economics [when the state intervenes in bad times to pick up the slack say Roosevelt's New Deal in the 1930's being the classic example] or when it sits back in good times and allows the free market economy to put some fat on the bones of the treasury and economy. The problem as I see it is that the jobs created in "the good times" of the Brown era were none jobs mostly, paid for by borrowing on an unprecedented level since the 1940's and taking into account tax revenues were good too. Manufacturing was again left to wither on the vine, he allowed people to rack up irresponsible debts and allowed the bankers and there ilk to rip off G.B.P.L.c. Now as we see in Greece, Portugal etc the cupboard is bare, the none jobs have gone as fast as they were created, we are not making things and people do want to loan us in the west any money because they know we will waste it. it's all right wanting to invest in houses and infrastructure but these are essentially jobs that create little wealth they will drop the dole queue and the benefit bill but will not redress the problems we have and of course the money will all have to borrowed yet again. Politicians = short termism! In the end it wasn't the new deal that saved America but rearmament. By the way good luck and congatulations with the job, what do you do?

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:39:56 am
West Cumbria needs decent transport links if it is to attract any sort of investment. There should be a plan of what our road network should look like in an ideal world and then we just chip away at it when money becomes available, i.e. making a 2 mile section dual carriageway, then another 2 miles etc.

Without the transport links no business will want to set up here. We can't just depend on nuclear power forever as I think history will show the Fukishima was a major turning point, whether people here agree with it or not.

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:28:06 am
There does need to be decent transport links, just over an hour to get on the motorway plus you can get stuck behind all the lorries, tractors, sunday drivers.

But I can't see it happening  :'(

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2011, 05:10:43 pm
It is a difficult situatioin we find our selves in at the moment with no easy answers. The government wants us to manufacture our way out, but there is nobody out there in a position to buy our "newly" found manufactured goods. We will suffer from this for a long time to come im afraid.

Cran Cran, thanky you,  im a QS
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:34:53 pm
dear J.D. as they say now "cool" :)

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:46:07 pm
It is a difficult situatioin we find our selves in at the moment with no easy answers. The government wants us to manufacture our way out, but there is nobody out there in a position to buy our "newly" found manufactured goods. We will suffer from this for a long time to come im afraid.

Cran Cran, thanky you,  im a QS
In that case why the hell did they give that train making contract to Germany and not the British firm in derby?
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:53:29 pm
You will find that BoNmbardier are either a canadian company or a subsidury of one
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:05:04 pm
Yes but the jobs wound have been in this country.
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:13:51 pm
And the Siemens tender was cheaper!!!

By how much I do not know. I agree that the contract should have gone to the Derby plant regardless, but in this day and age it aint that simple. For a start those unelected, unregulated bunch at the EU decide who we have to invite to tender.

ca28

Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:20:27 pm
You just have to look what the police and the ambulance service use as vehicles...they ain't British made. Surely a DAF manufactured in Preston is cheaper than either a Mercedes Benz or a VW !

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #25 on: 01 Dec 2011, 08:59:24 am
And the Siemens tender was cheaper!!!

By how much I do not know. I agree that the contract should have gone to the Derby plant regardless, but in this day and age it aint that simple. For a start those unelected, unregulated bunch at the EU decide who we have to invite to tender.
Dear J.D., I speak as an avowed supporter of the E.U. I agree with your sentiments about the contract to Derby [though not sure what that is specifically] the problem is that all these regulations have not been passed and enforced by unelected faceless people, all of these regulations have been negotiated by our domestic politicians the trouble is they have let regulations come in to force without properly trawling through them, they vitually let all the crap stuff go through on the nod as it were, we have no one to blame but our own Parliament - however domestic politicians like to blame "Brussells" instead of taking the blame as it doesn't suit their political expediency - as you put it "all war is based on deceipt" i think that's at the bottom of your messages. I don't think the EU tells us who we have to tender but it does say if a foreign company tenders and wins in the interest of free competition that tender has to be accepted - the same of course is true of British companies tendering on main land europe. the problem of course is we abide by the rules whilst a lot of our European cousins seem to not do so and get away with it. By the way hope your first day was good and you enjoy the job.