HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

No go For Bond

Boxer · 73 · 2899

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
Reply #60 on: 14 Dec 2011, 05:23:17 pm
It says the last two seasons but then they have discretionary powers which I think they have used for Gelling. Cook Islands were due to play New Zealand prior to this years Four Nations but the Kiwis cancelled it. Gelling was picked in that squad and I would say that fact together with him playing in three internationals in 2009 was enough to convince them. But let's face it SL clubs don't need to make much of a case do they? Look at Wigan when they signed Dobson from Catalan's he never met the criteria then but they still got him over here. Surely there must be someone in Wigan's youth set up could do a good a job as Gelling.

Des

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #61 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:22:35 pm
For a player from PNG which is listed as a Tier 2 country the criteria is that a player has played one match in the 2008 World Cup OR has played 50% of RLIF officially recognised international matches in the qualifying period (which is the previous two seasons).   That is the case as appertains to Bond.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #62 on: 14 Dec 2011, 09:05:03 pm
Des as I said in a previous series of heated posts, those self serving idiots at the RFL do as they wish, which you refer to as 'discretionary powers'.

To me the self serving idiots favour who they wish to. and it's usually SL clubs and teams the self serving idiots want to experiment with and thus call them teams from 'development area's'.

Until Champ and Champ 1 clubs stand up for themselves, the self serving idiots will continue to urinate all over them to help serve the Sky ambition of big city RL clubs in SL.  End of.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #63 on: 15 Dec 2011, 10:28:04 am
If we want this Bond guy bad enough then we have to make an issue over it or else the RFL will walk all over us everytime.

If they make rules for 1 then it has to be the same for us all. This situation would never happen in football

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
Reply #64 on: 15 Dec 2011, 10:56:10 am
As Des says the RFL probably do have discretionary powers. Has anyone from the club asked the RFL the impact an overseas player working in the community would have on promoting the World Cup game(s) in Copeland the following year?

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #65 on: 15 Dec 2011, 11:32:12 am
As Des says the RFL probably do have discretionary powers. Has anyone from the club asked the RFL the impact an overseas player working in the community would have on promoting the World Cup game(s) in Copeland the following year?

that's the angle i would go at it from, having a world cup player playing in the area and working as part of the community team will help raise the profile of the WC games,the guy wigan have signed is by all accounts no better than bond and if they are using the "he was in the squad and due to play" reason as him being accepted then the same apply's to bond, he was in the PNG squad and due to play before injuring his hand
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #66 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:32:50 pm
Gelling being from the Cook Islands comes under the Tier 3 countries criteria which is that they have to play in 75% of RLIF officially recognised matches in the 2 year qualifying period.   So, as Des says, if he played 3 games in the 2009 Pacific Cup that must be 75% of Cook Islands games and he qualifies.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

• Haven Legend
Reply #67 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:50:09 pm
Gelling being from the Cook Islands comes under the Tier 3 countries criteria which is that they have to play in 75% of RLIF officially recognised matches in the 2 year qualifying period.   So, as Des says, if he played 3 games in the 2009 Pacific Cup that must be 75% of Cook Islands games and he qualifies.

my understanding was it had to be in the last 2 years from when your applying , which is 2010 and 2011 seasons so there fore he doesn't qualify but clear the rfl have made an exception.I would expect haven to challenge this
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #68 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:52:58 pm

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #69 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:59:23 pm
although id like to see it happen i cant see rfl backtracking they,ll come up with some other excuse
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

• Haven Legend
Reply #70 on: 15 Dec 2011, 03:04:13 pm
Seems we could right with "in the last 2 years" so let's hope so he is clearly a class act and would finish the squad off
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #71 on: 15 Dec 2011, 03:47:00 pm
I have been told [perhaps not correctly] that at the meeting last Sunday our new coach sort of implied that all was not lost on the Bond issue, so perhaps there is still some hope. It would be interesting to know why the RFL did not use their discretion or why they used it in a negative fashion?

Offline Enoch

• First Team Backup
Reply #72 on: 15 Dec 2011, 04:47:36 pm
I have been told [perhaps not correctly] that at the meeting last Sunday our new coach sort of implied that all was not lost on the Bond issue, so perhaps there is still some hope. It would be interesting to know why the RFL did not use their discretion or why they used it in a negative fashion?

Because they are a bunch of Haven hating idiots?