HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

grant holt

Offline red white and blue

• Academy Star
on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:14:41 am
what a brilliant goal from the local boy,i,m not being bias but when did the like of overated beckham ever show skill like that?and dont say his free kicks,they are either hit or miss.
if grant had been given the same media profile like beckham,then i,ve no doubt he could have done the job with the top club.
i believe the lad could do a better job for englands olympic team then beckham could ever do,but like everthing thing else they will find a place for him.

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:35:59 am
While it was a great goal from a local lad, did I read your post right........ Holt has shown more skill than Beckham ever did??

If that is what you were trying to say, I'll place the order for a straight jacket and book you a place on Yewdale ward now!!
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2011, 12:30:20 pm
come on then jammy,where is the blokes skill?how many times has he found a gap with the ball on the floor and not an aimless kick up the field.
at least holt can head a ball and can tackle unlike prima donna beckham.
remember the tackle he shied away fromduring the world cup?

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2011, 02:20:58 pm
Rubbish rwb.

There has been comments that Beckham is not amongst the most skillful players in the world (which he's not) but you have obviously been reading too much of The Sun or The Star or something not to recognise he has been an amazing player.

If you are talking about him not going into a tackle for the goal by Brazil well neither did Scholes and he was an ubelievable player too. And then Ronaldinho put Ashley Cole on his a**e with a step-over, that obviously makes him a third rate left back then?

With regards to Grant Holt, yeah it's good that a 'local' lad is doing so well and has not been shown lacking in the Premier League. He is still young enough and I am sure if he carries on the way he is going he'll be in the EPL next year - whether Norwich stay up or not.
Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2011, 04:56:42 pm
theres an old saying,its goals that count,and apart from one of his free kicks or his penalties he just dosent score.
why should a bloke like beckham take up a place in the squad instead of one of our up and coming lads,he,s had his day.
by the way harbour,you,ve admitted he hasent much skill,so what does he bring to a team,besides all the gear?/
oh,and i dont read the sun,or the star,or the anti english mirror.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2011, 06:59:06 pm
Grant holt - used to play for a big club
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2011, 08:51:59 pm
David Beckham;

Apps: 602

Goals: 107 (all but 2 in top flight or international games)

trophies: 6 Premiership titles
             2 FA Cups
             1 Champions League Winners
             1 Intercontinental Cup
             1 La Liga
             1 Spanish Cup
             1 MLS Cup
             1 Tournei de France

Awards: BBC Spots Personality
            Uefa footballer of the year
            Uefa midfielder of the year
            PFA Young Player of the Year
            Premiership player of the month

Grant Holt;

Apps: 445

Goals: 189

Trophies: League one winners

Awards: None (In league football)
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2011, 09:17:06 pm by jammy dodger »
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline Barramarra

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2011, 09:50:51 pm
Yes Barrow  ;)
the only way is up.

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2011, 09:57:40 pm
theres an old saying,its goals that count,and apart from one of his free kicks or his penalties he just dosent score.
why should a bloke like beckham take up a place in the squad instead of one of our up and coming lads,he,s had his day.
by the way harbour,you,ve admitted he hasent much skill,so what does he bring to a team,besides all the gear?/
oh,and i dont read the sun,or the star,or the anti english mirror.

But no, rwb, I didn't say he hasn't much skill. I said you can't say he is up there with the Messi's Ronaldo's and Robinho's, etc in terms of pure ball skill. He still is far classier than the average prem player, and has many more strings to his bow. I would call scoring from the half-way line a feat of skill, would you not?

If you remember back in his heyday at Manchester United and England he didn't have to 'beat' a player - he just got a yard of space and put in a lethal ball. Like rugby league there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2011, 10:36:17 pm
Yes Barrow  ;)

Is said big not the bluetits
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:12:10 am
Has for bechham having no skill thats rubbish i remember being at a united match in 86 and there was a soccer skills comp on before the game with a trip to train venables barcelona the prize and a certain david beckham won the u12,s'and haven lad gary may won the u16,s.

ca28

Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2011, 07:37:00 am
So Let me get this right. A guy who has played for Inter Milan, Man Utd, & Real Madrid isn't as good as a Guy who has played for the Reds, Barrow And Carlisle .......... ROFL

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2011, 08:23:13 am
It was AC, CA, but other than that I agree 100%.

You could aso have mentioned England (with 100 plus caps) as well as L.A. Galaxy and Preston North End!

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2011, 08:29:35 am
Has for bechham having no skill thats rubbish i remember being at a united match in 86 and there was a soccer skills comp on before the game with a trip to train venables barcelona the prize and a certain david beckham won the u12,s'and haven lad gary may won the u16,s.
and being a utd fan spacey did you notice his name is beckham not bechham  :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2011, 09:57:13 am
half the caps blue eyes got were 5min sub,the bloke is a farce,i still say likes of hold should get a game in the olympics rather than goody two shoes.
it proved how good he was, he hardly had a decent game for england