HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Jam eaters sign Rooney & King

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #45 on: 07 Jan 2012, 10:33:13 pm
I don't get all this slagging off of Rooney - I think people forget that all RL players were amateurs at one time, some make it and some don't. There have been many very good amateurs who never made it in the pro game for various reasons, and some average amateurs who went on to become very good pro players. Some just seem to adapt to it better than others. For example, Brocklebank may have achieved more than Rooney in the amateur game but there is absolutely no gaurantee that he will be a better pro player. I remember when Town signed the best players from the brilliant Elbra team of the late 90's who were all established BARLA internationals (Dempsey, McGee, Hoyles etc) and people expected them to be successful but none of them achieved very much. Sometimes the transition from amateur to pro is as much down to attitude and commitment as it is to ability.

Offline IceMan

• Academy Star
Reply #46 on: 08 Jan 2012, 11:03:10 am
Talk about misleading topic titles, I thought they'd signed Jamie Rooney and Paul King!
Yea me too lol  :D :D :D :D Then my second thought was "man, ferguson must have really peed off Wayne" :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2012, 11:04:58 am by IceMan »

Offline IceMan

• Academy Star
Reply #47 on: 08 Jan 2012, 11:05:38 am
I don't get all this slagging off of Rooney - I think people forget that all RL players were amateurs at one time, some make it and some don't. There have been many very good amateurs who never made it in the pro game for various reasons, and some average amateurs who went on to become very good pro players. Some just seem to adapt to it better than others. For example, Brocklebank may have achieved more than Rooney in the amateur game but there is absolutely no gaurantee that he will be a better pro player. I remember when Town signed the best players from the brilliant Elbra team of the late 90's who were all established BARLA internationals (Dempsey, McGee, Hoyles etc) and people expected them to be successful but none of them achieved very much. Sometimes the transition from amateur to pro is as much down to attitude and commitment as it is to ability.
Excellent post  :bow:

Offline DonkeyParker

• Academy Star
Reply #48 on: 08 Jan 2012, 11:35:40 am

The simple reason for why he is being slagged off is because he signed for Town.... If he had signed for Haven the ones slagging him off would be praising him...

Offline haven24/7

• Academy Star
Reply #49 on: 08 Jan 2012, 12:39:21 pm
Each maybe n then the ones praising him would be advertentley slagging him off.  Works both ways.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #50 on: 08 Jan 2012, 01:49:09 pm

The simple reason for why he is being slagged off is because he signed for Town.... If he had signed for Haven the ones slagging him off would be praising him...
and our travelling players are not slagged off then eh not  :shake:or our coach!!!
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #51 on: 08 Jan 2012, 02:05:54 pm
Just returned from a weekend in Manchester, my ass nearly fell through the floor on seeing Rooney & King sign for the Jambo's, what a let down to find its not Jamie Rooney & Paul King.
:D :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.