HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

"Leeds game our platform to work off" says Don

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
on: 02 Feb 2012, 11:38:54 am
WHITEHAVEN must use their thrilling win against Leeds Rhinos as a launching pad for the new campaign, urged coach Don Gailer.

The plucky Championship One outfit dug deep in their final pre-season outing to retrieve a 20-point deficit against the Rhinos, who included six first-teamers in their line-up.

And Gailer said: “We have to measure ourselves against the second-half against Leeds.

“It should be the starting point for us. It has to be a springboard.

“We’ve got a clean bill of health and I’m happy with how we’ve come out of the game. It was straight back in to a heavy session on Monday.

“We flogged them and it was really hard, but they struggled through it, to their credit. It was character-building, though they might not see it that way. It’s all business now.”

Some of the squad’s younger players are pressing hard for places in Haven’s opening Northern Rail Cup game at Hunslet on Sunday week.

“I have liked their enthusiasm and some are putting a lot of pressure on the established players,” he added.

“Guys like Bradd Crellin and new players such as Sammy Gee and Jonny Youds are putting their hands up for a spot. I’m also happy with Andreas Bauer, who has lost weight and is training hard, and Luke Isakka had a really good game against Leeds.”

Meanwhile, the Rhinos are keen to strengthen links with Haven.

“We are always keen to help those who try to help themselves, and Whitehaven are a club trying very hard, with a bright future,” chief executive Gary Hetherington said.

“The prospect of the new stadium could really be the catalyst for delivering their vision in the future, which is to provide a Super League presence in west Cumbria.

“The relationship continues to prosper and we are very appreciative about how well-received we are in the area.

“It’s a rugby league area and we have a lot of Leeds Rhinos supporters in west Cumbria. That link will continue to grow.”

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/haven/charging-forward-1.921043?referrerPath=sport/haven
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."