HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Pick your County side.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
on: 31 Jan 2012, 11:22:53 am
This is one for perhaps older posters. What would be your best postwar county team - but you can only pick 13 players.

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2012, 11:51:55 am
1. Paul Charlton
2. Ike Southward
3. Chris Rudd
4. David Seeds
5. Kevin Pape
6. Willie Horne
7. Boxer Walker
8. Eddie Bowman
9. Alan McCurrie
10. Les Gorley
11. Brian Edgar
12. Dick Huddart
13. Billy Ivison

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2012, 04:32:29 pm
if i had to pick a county side not being very old mine would be

1 gary broadbent
2 will cowell
3 david seeds
4 chris rudd
6 peter lupton
7 lee kiddie
8 gary chambers
9 wayne kitchen
10 paul davidson
11 howard hill
12 chris mckinney
13 rob purdham

14 oliver wilkes
15 greame morton
16 lee mossop
17 kyle amor

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2012, 04:56:03 pm
Mine would be:
1.Charlton
2. smith
3.gibson
4Cribben
5.Lewthwaite
6.kitchin
7.pepperil
8.McAlone
9.McCurrie
10.Vincent
11.Edgar
12.Huddart
13.McFarlane
I read the two above and allready thinking oh missed Iveson, hayton, Martin, Pattinson.Holiday. Walker, Bowman, - we could run a book for top three sides.

Offline haven marra

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 01 Feb 2012, 06:41:27 pm
Mine would be

1) Lightfoot
2) Southward
3) Seeds
4) Gribbin
5) Calvert
6) Routledge
7) Walker
8) Mcalone
9) Mcurrie (steve)
10) Temby
11) Huddart
12) Bowman
13) Purdham

Probably missed loads out and some selected by my dad too  lol

Offline red white and blue

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 03 Feb 2012, 09:50:07 am
some brilliant players in there,and although paul charlton is up there with the greatest ever fullbacks,i,d have to include mckeown at full back  just for his goal kicking alone,he was worth a few points to haven in nearly every game he played,dont forget,he once won an award from the daily mirror for kicking 100 goals before xmas,something very few people managed in those days.
my surprise player at center would be billy pattinson who had one of the bestsidesteps of anyone who played rugby league.
its sad reaLLY WHEN MOST OF THE PLAYERS SELECTED ARE FROM YEARS GONE BY,it shows that super league has done nothing for the game,but then again when you look at our top rugby union teams they are all in demise,kendal,aspatria,wigton,zebras,,maybe kids havent the same interest.

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #6 on: 03 Feb 2012, 10:11:51 am

its sad reaLLY WHEN MOST OF THE PLAYERS SELECTED ARE FROM YEARS GONE BY,it shows that super league has done nothing for the game,but then again when you look at our top rugby union teams they are all in demise,kendal,aspatria,wigton,zebras,,maybe kids havent the same interest.

That is an excellent point imo. Im fairly young so i kinda fit into this category, kids now have the internet, games consoles, homework from a young age, etc... to occupy their time of an evening. There is also a many number of channels on sky to entertain them.

I also think that with many families now having both parents holding down full time jobs, the time that parnets give to their children is far less than what it was. These parents come in from 8-12 hour shifts and want to relax, have some dinner, talk with their partner, spend time with their kids, etc.. whats easier for people like this;
1) Let their kids play on computer consoles/pc's while they cook dinner
or
2) go back out in the car to take the kids to training, come home prepare dinner then go back and pick the kids up

Finally there is also a drinkng culture among our youths that i imagine wasnt their 20+ years ago

All these imo have a detrimental effect on all sports in this country. There may be plenty of interest to watch the games on TV, but kids seem to lack the determination, dedication and attitude to become world class sportmen/women
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."