HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Don Gailer Interview!

Offline Enoch

• First Team Backup
on: 15 Feb 2012, 09:25:18 pm
Don was very critical in his interview with John Cox. He picked out a few by name and criticised the team as a whole. It is a long time since we have had a coach that speaks like that. In my mind it is good, but the 'acid test' will be how the players respond to such public criticism.

:o

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2012, 09:28:59 pm
its what they need a good kick up the arse its the away traveling fans i feel for going to watch that.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2012, 09:55:44 pm
It was a crap performence and he was p***ed off..That said i was taken aback  there are undoubted risks with the approach.  You can only do that sort of interview once or twice either way.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2012, 08:09:59 am
dons right to rip into the team its their silly mistakes thats cost us the game,who else is he supposed to blame?the handling errors are a very common thing year in year out at haven and always cost us.same as discipline we need to get back to the sorts of discipline we had when mcormack was in charge.
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline realist_2010

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2012, 12:28:22 pm
Its a high risk strategy coming out and publicly ''naming and shaming'', it could go one of two ways, but as stated elsewhere he is the boss and has the right to mange in his style. Hopefully the players have got thick skins and can accept constructive critisicm without spitting the dummy. I suspect one or two however will be out of the door before mid season due to clashes in personality !!

As for all this travellers stuff, I suspect half the ''travellers out'' contingent on here are quite happy to praise Man Utd or Liverpool or whoever it may be, despite the fact that very few players in these teams are British, let alone Mancs, Scousers or whatever. A team should be a team irrespective of the location of the player. Maybe its just that insular West Cumbrian trait that a small minority still retain.

Simple fact is, their isn't enough local quality at present willing to sign up to the semi pro ranks, and they are happy to play the amateur game without all the grief and the travel.

Ps...we will be there ior thereabouts in C1, of that I am sure.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:10:19 pm
I think your right there. Paramount we get out of this league this season and if we had to rely solely on local talent we would struggle. The travelling lads add strength and competition for places but at the same time should not be first on the team sheet just because it costs x amount of pounds to get them up here each week.

As for Don if thats his style then he'll upset a few but its up to the players to show the character and fight for their spot. Apart from the 2nd half against Leeds I haven't seen enough really to get excited about but its early days. Getting into the NRC KO stage would be a bonus but not end of the world if it wasn't to happen. ;)

Offline Soss (formerly known as gonch)

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2012, 03:40:13 pm
Couple of Twitter hashtags from haven players about the coach and his comments #nutter, #f@$kthisforalaugh

Offline Enoch

• First Team Backup
Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2012, 04:19:03 pm
Couple of Twitter hashtags from haven players about the coach and his comments #nutter, #f@$kthisforalaugh

Who are these players?

If they post on twitter then you can say their names on here it won't be libelous as they said it.

Offline harry callaghan

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2012, 04:44:28 pm
Nice trolling and stirring there gonch lad,you seem to have forgot the #hairdryertteatment and that not only are the players joking about it but some saying they deserved it due to too many basic errors.In this day and age when SOME sports professionals only need looked at the wrong way to spitnrhe dummy out.I find this quite refreshing and sends out a clear message that no matter who you are or what rep you have if you fail to do the basics right it will not go unoticed.I would suggest  a couple  they could use is #getthebasicsright or #doesnottakeanycrap

Offline Soss (formerly known as gonch)

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2012, 04:58:24 pm
No stirring just stating facts

Offline harry callaghan

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2012, 05:00:18 pm
one of your # was from a town player not a haven player

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2012, 05:03:56 pm
Gailer is a breath of fresh air. I have the utmost respect for people who tell it as it is.

Players not selected on Wed will find his comments encouraging also, if the coach thinks the performance of certain individuals was rubbish, then it's bound to give hope and encouragement to those outside of the 17 squad, that they could be given an opportunity soon.

As a fringe player I would rather hear the under-performers get a beasting than the coach making excuses and platitudes for them.

And for those who under-performed there's a clear message, which is 'pick up your performance or be put out of the 17 squad'.

Message sent and received load and clear we all hope.

However this is the first competitive match, away,against a higher league team and re-arranged to a less than favourable date. Let's see what develops over the next 2 - 3 games.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2012, 05:27:11 pm
Maybe its a case for some the truth hurts .Its only the first proper game and he has sent a message out loud and clear a performance like that is not acceptable.I'm disappointed its gateshead on Sunday as its a no win situation if we hammer them it will be expected.Under normal circumstances I would say play the same team to allow them to put it right,but with what on paper looks like a home win it could be seen as rewarding failure.Who ever he selects no player should under any illusion of what's expected
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2012, 07:57:20 pm
good old grinch never gets owt right :D :D
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2012, 08:06:32 pm
THE MULLET IS BACK