HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

To be fair to Don

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
on: 11 Mar 2012, 07:49:10 pm
People are now getting stuck into our coach, and that on the face of it is presently quite understandable, as I am sure he also realises.

However I believe we should be  taking a more balanced view of things. Why do I say that ??

After the Hunslet game the coach lambasted the team and called out certain individuals who he believed had under performed, and let him, the team and supporters down. He also said some thing along the lines of ' such performances being unacceptable' and what he had seen he wouldn't have expected of a youth team.

He recognised what was wrong and unacceptable, and called it as he saw it. Some of us welcomed and found his honest judgement refreshing.

However many others, including some players it appears, were unhappy with his judgement and the way he delivered it.

So......NOW after every defeat, he ducks the issue largely, and finds ways of praising players and find positives in what he has witnessed, ...... I for one don't like that, and I bet it's sticking in his throat too .... I don't for one minute think he is in any way happy with what is going on...... BUT on his arrival he was dealt a duff hand on several counts.

1. A big squad, none of which were selected by him.
2. Too many average to poor players.
3. No big hitting enforcer type props.
4. Young and unproven players in some very key positions.
5. Little to no local coaching backup for him.
6. Mr Rugby League (I'm in control), having too much say, and also jetting off on holiday when he should be here talking, listening to Don and acting on the above issues.

I could say more but the guy's on a loser at present I fear, through little fault of his own.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2012, 07:53:19 pm
sadly its the job hes in he,ll always be up for verbals off fans re who should and should,nt be playing etc but end of the day its up to don too to wield the axe to under performers or players that just cant make the grade,because don will suffer until he does that.thats just the way it is. 
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2012, 07:54:37 pm
And enter Mr RL.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2012, 08:05:49 pm
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2012, 09:30:08 pm
People are now getting stuck into our coach, and that on the face of it is presently quite understandable, as I am sure he also realises.

However I believe we should be  taking a more balanced view of things. Why do I say that ??

After the Hunslet game the coach lambasted the team and called out certain individuals who he believed had under performed, and let him, the team and supporters down. He also said some thing along the lines of ' such performances being unacceptable' and what he had seen he wouldn't have expected of a youth team.

He recognised what was wrong and unacceptable, and called it as he saw it. Some of us welcomed and found his honest judgement refreshing.

However many others, including some players it appears, were unhappy with his judgement and the way he delivered it.

So......NOW after every defeat, he ducks the issue largely, and finds ways of praising players and find positives in what he has witnessed, ...... I for one don't like that, and I bet it's sticking in his throat too .... I don't for one minute think he is in any way happy with what is going on...... BUT on his arrival he was dealt a duff hand on several counts.

6. Mr Rugby League (I'm in control), having too much say, and also jetting off on holiday when he should be here talking, listening to Don and acting on the above issues.

I could say more but the guy's on a loser at present I fear, through little fault of his own.

im told don got the job by a great cv as we know you dont win games on paper. i have had a few good cracks with don already in a short time he has been here and he seems a great guy but this season we need results and results sack coaches. i was at a vice presidents night on friday and there was loads of experience in the room the 3 kiwis david seeds don phil kitchen spanky etc. don hasnt got a lot to help him on the bench. 1 phone call to david seeds to help on the bench would surely help us get out of this league. come on ralph gary blinco etc dont let us fall behind and get don some help and off load the dead wood before its too late.
born and bred haven.

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2012, 05:49:04 am
And enter Mr RL.
im entitled to my opinion just like you keep your sarcasm to yourself!!

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:35:28 am
Get a grip CBG, for your info, (everyone else seems to know)....... Mr RL is (I'm in control boss man) Calvin.  :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2012, 08:39:38 am by cbandg01 »

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:49:40 am
Get a grip CBG, for your info, (everyone else seems to know)....... Mr RL is (I'm in control boss man) Calvin.  :o :o :o :o
really ::)

Offline JHs Lad

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2012, 10:35:46 am

[/quote

Could not agree more with all of the above comment, it must have been obvious to everyone that the the signing of 2 x prop forwards, enforcers who lay the foundation for every RL side was the priority for Haven. The pack has weakend over the last 3 to 4 seasons but when Fatialofa retired and Edmondson returned to NZ it became even more urgent.  Maybe the forwards just are not there to sign, if thats the case I fear the worst. 

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2012, 11:56:55 am

Offline bustling billy

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:32:00 pm
Got to agree ....think we need a local has Dons assistant...peter smith and brocky are already at local clubs...so someone bite the bullet and ask seedsy/chris wright to come back....