HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

3 signings needed

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
on: 02 Oct 2006, 01:06:34 pm
i think with all the squad except leafa signed up for next year i think we need to make 3 more signings to finish in the top 2

a center (hopefully nanyn), halfback and a ball handling 2nd row

heres how i think the sqaud will look and where cover is needed

FB  .             broadbent (maden as cover)
WINGS    maden,calvert,lebbon,eilbeck
CENTERS  seeds jackson eilbeck , AN OTHER
S/O rudd leroy as cover
S/H duffy  ,another, leroy as cover
HOOKER   smith, sice, matty
PROPS   fats, the bull ,jacko, howard,teare
]S/R  miller, leafa,  Mcavoy wright, another(d miller would be good or wilkes back)
L/F lester, walsh rudd as cover

add to this deans, baker, salmon, benson, lofthouse etc from the 21@s and we have another very good squad

whats your views
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Shersh00

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2006, 01:23:20 pm
Definitely need more signings in the positions indicated, plus another forward I reckon.  Hope the BOD and DR have someone in mind.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2006, 02:33:39 pm
i think with all the squad except leafa signed up for next year i think we need to make 3 more signings to finish in the top 2

S/O rudd leroy as cover
]S/R  miller, leafa,  Mcavoy wright, another(d miller would be good or wilkes back)

add to this deans, baker, salmon, benson, lofthouse etc from the 21@s and we have another very good squad

whats your views

the time has come now where i feel as though we need some very young prop forwards because we have relied on 32 year old props to do very hard work which they find hard to cope with what we need is 2 props that are about 20 or 23 that can make the runs off breaking tackles as we have seen poor fats cant do it no more but the guy is a legeand in my eyes but if we could get them props place them next to fats and bull give them some exsperience because this is for sure fats and bulls last year of playing rugby then we will be left with youngsters and things might go from good to bad this must be addressed

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2006, 04:12:30 pm
what happend to baines this season ???
haven till i die

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2006, 05:16:52 pm
Nanyn,  Wilkes  and  Tandy  would  be  a  start.  Possibly  a  number  N.6.

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2006, 05:27:21 pm
If we are to be successfull next season we need to strengthen in a number of areas in my opinion. Firstly i would sign a Stand Off with pace and SL experience (if possible), Joe has been a great servant to the club but i fear his best days have past him although he cant be faulted for effort. Secondly i would try and sign a Second Row in the mould of Wilkes. If Oliver hadnt signed for Wigan (dont blame the lad) then he would have made a big difference to our side. Leafa has done enough to earn another contract but im 99% certain his visa wont be renewed when it runs out at Christmas. In the backs i would also sign another winger of proven quality and drop Calvert to the bench or even U21's until he sorts his defence out. Lastly i would like to see Haven sign a Prop forward with youth on his side but experience of rugby at this level perhaps on loan from a SL team for the season.

Obviously financial constraints are in place but in the next few years the drawbridge really will come up ( you can see its being pushed for now by all and sundry in SL) and unless we meet the requirements both on and off the pitch we may become stranded in the RL wilderness.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2006, 05:28:08 pm
just the players i was going to name but dont think we will get nanyn or wilkes after they have just knocked us out of the playoffs unless they get promoted and dont get offerd contracts for next year

wilkes was just after money i feel he played 6 times then whent to wigan the to widnes and then maybe back to have what was the point in leaving in the first place

Offline rdc

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2006, 05:32:02 pm
I think it's worth remembering the budget limitations we have.  We can't sign too many outside players.  For second-row it would either have to be Leafa or Wilkes, not worth having both when we also have Spencer, Scott McAvoy, HH, Aaron Lester and Rob Jackson who can fill the role.  I'd keep Leafa if we can get his permit extended, he's really proved himself in the play-off games and he seems a good team character.

The point about a younger prop is true though, we could do with a tackle-busting forward who is not injury-prone like Baynes.

havenchamps2005

Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2006, 10:09:44 pm
i heard in town todays the deal with nanyn is 99% done
id keep leafa but i think he has to return home and re-apply for a permit
id go for young huby at cas i think this lad is a star and would be a very good signing or clough from st.helens

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2006, 10:48:13 am
i just wish there was a tommy martin or a brad davis kind of player available from somewhere cos they have made all the difference in our 2 gfs defeat. but i would defo welcome back mick and ryan tandy.
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline haven123456789

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2006, 04:17:45 pm

S/O rudd leroy as cover

whats your views
Agree with this totaly but we could strengthen the squad here there and everywhere. A better goal kicker is needed and a more creative player beacuse duffy isn't that kind of player like obst and penny and Joe is nearing the end i'm sorry to say lol.

Offline Broadbent 1

• Academy Star
  • Gary Broadbent Best Fullback in NL1
Reply #11 on: 04 Oct 2006, 04:20:43 pm
for second row how about danny tickle?
Gary Broadbent Haven Legend

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2006, 07:05:09 pm
harrison from barrow would be a good center to sign, or play mcavoy at center hes ben brilliant playing at center twice this year
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Haven Crazy

• First Team Backup
  • Is tho in yan? Is tho in yan? oohoo
Reply #13 on: 05 Oct 2006, 07:12:03 am
The club are defo trying to keep LEAFA
Can't stand Jam, eh!

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 05 Oct 2006, 09:12:46 am
Judging  by  the  back  page  of  the  Whitehaven  News  DR  isn't  interested  in  signing  Nanyn  unless  at  the  right  price......i.e  on  the  cheap.

That  maybe  so  but  if  Seeds  decides  to  hang  up  is  boots  then  that  leaves  Eilbeck  and  I  just  can't  see  him  getting  30  tries  a  season............And  anyhow  we  paid  Baynes  a  small  fortune  and  just  how  many  games  did  he  play  in :o